Search for content in message boards

Hillsboro District of Wake Co., NC

Hillsboro District of Wake Co., NC

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 12:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know where the Hillsboro/Hillsborough District of Wake County was approx. located in the late 1700's and very early 1800's?
Thanks,
Phyllis

Re: Hillsboro District of Wake Co., NC

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 8:59PM GMT
Phyllis, I looked in Wikipedia and found that there was a Hillsborough Militia District: "The Hillsborough District militia was an administrative division of the North Carolina militia during the American Revolutionary War (1776–1783).

At the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, the newly formed North Carolina government divided the state into six military districts. These districts each comprised a number of counties surrounding a significant town. The six districts, which corresponded with old judicial organizations, were: Edenton, New Bern, Wilmington, Halifax, Salisbury, and Hillsborough. Later, two additional districts were added, further dividing the mountainous western part of the state. Within the Hillsborough District were the counties of Caswell, Chatham, Granville, Orange, Randolph, and Wake." Was this perhaps what you were looking for?
Nancy Smith

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 5:29PM GMT
Nancy is correct. Hillsboro/Hillsborough, wasn't a district in Wake Co., it was the Military & Judicial district that covered several counties in the Northern Piedmont area of North Carolina. In addition to the Counties that Nancy named, it also included Person County which was formed in 1791 from Caswell. Cases being held in Courts in those areas during those years were often written as the Hillsborough District Court, North Carolina.

Deloris

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 4:02AM GMT
I am trying to pinpoint about where the old farm and farm land was located of my ancestor, Loe JAckson, b. 1771.
It has been years now and I am still no closer to figuring out who his parents were and where he lived early in his life. Later on, his farm was located on the New Light Creek in Wake Co. I have not been able to exactly find the New Light Creek since Falls Lake is now there but my best guess would be that the old creek in now under the lake.
The mystery continues....
Thanks for the replies.
Phyllis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic