Search for content in message boards

Disturbing events?

Disturbing events?

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harvey
I am attempting to follow the ancestry of a GG-Grandmother Francis/es Harvey (nee ?Norman?). B. Ohio abt 1845. M. abt 1868 in Cumberland County Illinois to Wm Henry Harvey, also B Ohio, abt 1844.

Family moved by 1880, with four daughters; Viola, Birda, Luvda, and Mary, to the Vernon/Cedar County area in Missouri. Viola marries abt 1888 to Wallace C Johnson in Missouri.

The loss of the 1890 Fed Census is unfortunate, but no subsequent leads for Francis and the three younger daughters develope.

Expanding the search geographically and to 1900, leads me to Wm Henry Harvey in Jackson County, Arkansas. He has M 1891 to Mary Jane Sharp started a new family.

This appears to be the same Wm Henry Harvey, B 1844 Ohio. His new family descendants have attached a family story explaining that he admitted coming to his second marriage in Arkansas (they believe directly from Ohio, no mention of Missouri or Illinois) after an argument where he killed his opponent. (??!!)

Francis and her three younger daughters have disappeared, perhaps in more than from official records. I have exhausted ideas; divorce, death, remarriage in either Missouri or back to Illinois.

One might think the unusual names of two of the daughters would make them standouts in a search pattern, but they seem to have vaporised.

Any clues or suggestions would be appreciated.

Viola Harvey to W. C. Johnson

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 10:20PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Harvey, Johnson

I know this doesn't tell you what you really want to know, but I found the image of the marriage record of W. C. Johnson to Viola Harvey, Dec 30, 1888 in Cedar Co., MO.

It is on Ancestry.com showing his name as W. D. Johnson, and hers as Viola Howey. The transcription at Ancestry further says that the marriage occurred "near Hilley". However, I'm sure that the record actually says "near Filley" which (was?) is not far from Stockton in Cedar Co., MO.

Re: Disturbing events?

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: HARVEY, JOHNSON
In the cemetery records I found the following.

Viola Harvey Johnson 1867--1956

Wallace Johnson 1862--1925

They are buried at Mound Cemetery, Cedar County, Missouri

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 12:01AM GMT
If you will go to:http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=31...

That is the memorial for Viola, and if you keep following the family members you may pick up some good leads. The lady that did the memorial for Orville sounds like she may have known some of the family.
Good luck,

Viola Harvey Johnson

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 12:03AM GMT
Classification: Death

I found Viola's death certificate at

http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/deathcerts/1956/1956_0...

Born Dec 14, 1867, Mattoon, Illinois; died June 18, 1956, Nevada, Vernon Co., MO

It gives her mother's name as "____Hayes". Father is listed as "Wm.Harvey". Informant Mrs. Alma Johnson.

Re: Viola Harvey to W. C. Johnson

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 7:01AM GMT
Surnames: Hayes, Harvey
Thank you for your effort in investigating Viola's available data.

After posting my request for assistance, I returned to the 1860 Census in Illinois to search in the vicinity of the farm where the Harvey family lived. I found Francis in a Hayes family nearby and this surname was confirmed on Viola's Death Cert on microfilm with the Missouri SOS visible thru a URL supplied by another respondent.

I can now proceed with investigation of Francis Hayes' ancestry, but this does not provide a clue as to the fate that befell Francis and her three youngest daughters post 1890.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 7:30AM GMT
Surnames: Harvey, Hayes
Thank you for your effort in investigating Viola's available data.

After posting my request for assistance, I returned to the 1860 Census in Illinois to search in the vicinity of the farm where the Harvey family lived. I found Francis in a Hayes family nearby and this surname was confirmed on Viola's Death Cert on microfilm with the Missouri SOS visible thru a URL supplied by another respondent.

I can now proceed with investigation of Francis Hayes' ancestry, but this does not provide a clue as to the fate that befell Francis and her three youngest daughters post 1890. I will pursue leads through Orville's memorial.

Thanks again.

Re: Viola Harvey Johnson

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 7:36AM GMT
Yes this confirms what I discovered in the Illinois 1860 census pages.

The data collector appears to have dabbled in calligraphy as I had a deuce of a time deciphering whether the surname was Kemp or Hayes.

Mission accomplished. Thanks again for the assistance.

I can now continue back, but I am still troubled over the possible fate of Francis Hayes Harvey and her three younger daughters.

Harvey family

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 10:01PM GMT

Best of luck in your continued search for Frances & her daughters.

Not having access to the 1890 census puts us at a real disadvantage.

Stay flexible in the spellings in your searches for the younger girls. Luvda: Perhaps she was actually Lavada, or Luvada? Birda could be Birdie, Birdy, Birtie.... Frances herself could have used nicknames Fanny or Frankie. She might have remarried and the younger girls enumerated under the new husband's name. By 1900 they were all old enough to have been married.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic