Search for content in message boards

C'sted St. Croix house number map needed

C'sted St. Croix house number map needed

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beverhoudt, Conrad
My family lived in C'sted for over 200 years and I have many street addresses. I'd like to map the locations out, but I can't find a map that gives house numbers. Now I know there have been changes over time, but the only maps I found only give the street locations. Even Google Maps doesn't know the house numbers.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There were a few in F'sted as well, so I'm interested in that as well.

Re: C'sted St. Croix house number map needed

Posted: 21 Aug 2011 5:54PM GMT
I will be interested in how others answer this question. I believe you may be more successful in finding lots rather than houses. Did you query the St. Croix Landmarks Society on this? info@stcroixlandmarks.org
Various books have reproductions of the Oxholm Map of Christiansted in 1779, but I do not know where the original resides or whether one can distinguish lot ownership from it. Did you query the Danish Archives? Much material is online at http://www.sa.dk/content/us/learning_and_research/the_danish.... There is a very learned and helpful historian at the archives, Eric Goebel, who might help. There also is a Beck map of 1754. Deeds will tell you which lots your ancestors owned and probably will describe the lot boundaries, which may give you enough specifics.

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 4:03PM GMT
Both Oxholm and Beck's map are Plantation maps, large pieces of property. In later years some were broken up and sold off. The main streets in Christian and Frederickstead had house numbers.
You might be able to assertain that info if you find the person listed in a census record.

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 10:31PM GMT
I looked at these maps. In the Oxholm map, C'sted is very small and in Beck's he lists the streets but no houses or numbers. I have many censuses, that's why I am trying to locate the relative positioning of the residences. Have I missed something?

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 11:28PM GMT
sort of, At home, no one uses street numbers, it is usually directions.
Color of houses, landmarks, etc.
Example, our address was #3 Taanaberg, however directions,was two story house on the top of Pollyberg Hill, across from Glass Bottle Alley.
As the plantations were broken up and developed, street names and numbers were issued by Public Works.
Here's a suggestion, King Street is a 'main' Street, and the business'address will not change, just the name of the business, try gaugeing,using that method.
BTW, I know St. Thomas better, and thinking about it, there are no addressed for some business' in the phone book, just Main Street!
I'll keep checking

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 11:39PM GMT
Here's an example of how we find our way around in the islands;
http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/STCROIX-Christ...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions