Search for content in message boards

John Gross

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gross
Seeking parents names of my Great Grandfather, John Gross of Chicago, Illinois, then Michigan - daughter Phyllis Nadine Long (Gross)

Re: John Gross

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 12:48PM GMT
Surnames: Gross , Eaton , Howard
Do you have a Daniel Franklin Gross in your line ? According to his death cert , John Gross , born in NY , was his father....

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: Gross
Hello, not that I have been informed of -Most of the births are in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan of my Gross family.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 11:20PM GMT
Thanks for your reply :) I also had Gross in Indiana & Illinois...they came from PA...none in Chicago tho...good luck with your search !

Re: John Henry Gross

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:53AM GMT
John Henry Gross, is my Great Grandfather on my Dad's mother's side, John Wesley Gross is my dad. I was told Chicago, IL. but it seems the older generation relocated to Indiana then Michigan from Pennsylvania. I was successful to trace as far back to George Washington Gross. Are you related to me?

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Gross, John
It is important with such common names like John and Gross that we match up middle names and dates...in fact my dad is alive, John Wesley Gross, his dad is Earl Long, however his Grandfather on his mom's side is John Henry Gross and there is a John Robert Gross as Grandma Phyllis Nadine Gross's brother....many German John Gross'

Re: John Gross - PA to IN

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: GROSS, HOPPE
Looking for relatives of Katherine Gross. My Grosses moved from PA to IN also. My ggrandfather, William H. Hoppe, arrived in the US in 1866 or 1868 from Leun, Hesse,Prussia, Germany. In 1869 he married Katherine Gross, daughter of Conrad Gross, also born in Germany. They lived in Erie, PA for at least 8 years (1872-1879). After September 1879, and maybe as late as 1887, they moved to the northwest Indiana - Whiting, Hammond East Chicago areas.

The 1900 Census said they had 7 children - one had died and 6 were living at the time of the census. Ida (12/21/1872), Amelia (9/1/1875) and Oscar 4/1879) apparently were born in Erie Co. Then there is a gap of 8 years before Julius was born in Hanna, Indiana (4/20/1887).

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 4:34PM GMT
I do have a George Washington Gross...he never married so not the same one as yours.
I have my doubts about my Daniel Franklin Gross having his father named John...there are no other John Grosses in our family . Since folks tend to use the same names generation after generation , why is there no John anywhere else in my family ???
Daniel was born in Lehigh County PA in 1832. He went west to Illinois as a young man and settled in Fulton County. There he married Sarah Jane Eaton . She was from Vermillion County IL. Later they moved to Lafayette County WI. I have not been able to find any siblings for Daniel or verify his parents names. I just hope one day to find someone on this message board who is connected :)

Re: John Gross - PA to IN

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 4:28PM GMT
I was successful in tracing my father's Gross side pretty far back, but not in those who came from Germany. Feel free to look at my Gross family tree to see if it helps you.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 4:32PM GMT
There are a few George Washington Grosses, a father and a son and then the sons son...yes they use the same names which makes researching confusing. My dad who is alive, John Wesley Gross was named after his grandfather, John Henry Gross, who is my grandmother (Phyllis Nadine Gross (Long's father. There is another John Robert Gross who is alive and goes by Bob Gross.
Good luck with your research, it is a challenge I know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions