Martinez history before 1850s in NM

Lana Martinez (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 1999 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for info on the Martinez family,
especially for people before 1850 in the Taus
Santa Amarilla New Mexico area. Also, about
Lucas and Carlotta Martinez's ancestors.

Johnny L. Martinez (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 1999 7:39PM GMT
The best place to get started for information is to start in Abiquiu, New Mexico. Abiquiu was the furthermost plazita until the Tierra Amirillo land grant (Manuel Martinez 1832). All the communites north of Abiquiu such as Chama, Cebolla, Tierra Amarillo, Los Ojos (Parkview), Los Brazos were started from the Tierra Amarilla land grant. The Martin-Serrano family were very prominent in the establishement of almost every community in Rio Arriba county. There is a web site WWW.hgrc-nm.org, try this it lists all the many Martin Serrano family members. Also there is a book published with all the baptisms in Abiquiu from 1754-1870 the autor is Thomas D. Martinez 408-292-3012.

Posted: 13 Nov 1999 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 3:21AM GMT
The surname Martin (Marteen) dates back to Spain. The word Martin is taken from dthe Latin name Martinus a derivative of the word Mars or Martis, the Roman God of fertrility and war. In 316 A.D. a lad was born to a Roman soldier and the familjy name was said to have been Martel. The young Martel entered the priesthood and was eventually a Bishop in Tours France where he took the name Martin of Tours. His deeds particularly with the poor led to his canonization as a Saint and as a result large numbers of people started taking the name Martin as their own. After taking root in France the name was exported to Spain through the province of Aragon where a King known as Martin the Humane became dthe most notable person to carry the name. This was in the year 1356. Several variations of the name evolved over the years including Martinez (son of Martin), Marti and Marzo. Martin is still a common name in Spain and Europe. The surname came to the USA shortly after Columbus came in 1492. The progenitor of the Martinez clan was a soldier named Hernan Martin Serrano. He accompanied Juan de Onate on his historic journey to settle New Mexico in 1598. The Martin Serrano family name was carried n New Mexico until about the 1700s when they started dropping the Serrano part of the name. In the 1800s as their numbers porliferated the Martins became known as los Martines, and eventually the ending s was changed a z. this is a brief outline of how the name Martinez came to the New World and New Mexico and eventually Colorado

Johnny Martinez (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 1999 2:15PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information, I didn't know how the Martinez name came about.

I have done some intensive research on the Martin Serrano name and have a direct line as far as Domingo Martin Serrano, as there is as yet no discoverd like between him and either Luis I, Luis II or Hernan II, but there is no doubt about his relationship to the progenator Hernan Martin Serrano who entered with Onate.

I am in the process of writing a Martinez family history, this history contains all the information about the Martin Serrano, encluding Sabastain, Luis I, II, Hernan I, II, Domingo, Blas, Pedro, Satiago, Martin de Jesus, my great grandfather Ricardo, grandfather Elimino, also is a chapter on Padre Jose Antonio Martinez of Toas.
Also some of the family through the daugters of the Martin Serranos, such as General Jose Maria Chaves of Abiquiu, and the Quitana broters that were killed at the Vega de Riano trying to settle a dispute between the Utes and the people of Abiquiu.

What I am looking for is stories about other Martinez family members that are descendants of Hernan, to be included in this Martinez family history. So if you know of any one that has information that they would like to share and have included in this book please let them know.

I can be contacted at this email address.
Martinvi@uvsc.edu

Posted: 24 Nov 1999 2:21PM GMT
Its me again. Just a little about me.
My parents were both born in New Mexico, dad was born in Parkview, mom in Chama. They met and married there.

I was born in a small mining community in eastern Utah called Dragerton, near Price, Utah. Currently I am the Postmaster of Price. I have been working on the Martinez family geneology for almost ten years, ever since my father passed away. I realized that I knew nothing about his ancestors and once I got started it became an obsession.

Please let me know if you have any one in your family including your father, grandfather some distance gggg-grandfather. It would be great to include information about alot of Hernan Martin Serrano descendants.

Posted: 27 Nov 1999 11:52AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: Martinez
I was born in the Oldest town in Colorado San Luis. My grandparents came from Arroyo Seco close to Taos New Mexico. My Grandfather's brother had preceded him to Colorado and he later enticed him to come and homestead in Colorado. They both had sections called "varas" which connected to the culebra river, actually a stream. When grandfather Juan Batista Martinez and his fairly new bride Maria de la luz Pacheco came to Colorado it was a rather hazardous journey as there were still Indians roaming about, and they were traveling in a 2 wheel cart with a team of oxen. When they settled in their new homestead they lived in tents close to the mountains where they tended sheep. There were incidents with the Indians, probably Utes, where they would steal their livestock and sheep or would come into the tents and actually took the food of the plank tables my grandparents had. My grandfather was born around 1849 and died in 1944. He was one of the original settlers in San Luis, Colorado. He was instrumental in digging the local ditches and canals that irrigated the valley. Later in life he would go to Wyoming to tend sheep and would stay there 6-8 months at a time. His wife my grandmother was probably full blooded Pueblo Indian from the Taos reservation as I remember going to visit relatives there. I have a suspicion that my grandfather may have been related to the padre Martinez from Taos whom history has said fathered many children. There is a book titled The Adobe Kingdom that some historical background on the spanish settlements in New Mexico.

Posted: 29 Nov 1999 12:19PM GMT
Thanks for the information. If your grandfather was related to Padre Martinez of Toas, they you are a member of the Martin Serrano clan. I have done some extensive research on them and they are an interesting family. There is also a Felix Martinez that was born in 1857 in Toas. He was a prominent buisness man, newspaper publisher La Voz del Pueblo, El Paso Daily News, and later principle owner of the Albuquerque Tribune-Citizen.
In 1890 he was one of the leaders of the Democartic Party coalition that allied with a faction of disafafected Republicans to form El Partido del Peublo Unido, a coaliton party with populist ideals which carried the county in the elections of 1890 and 1892. He was the Partido's candidate for the territorial council in 1892 from San Miguel and Guadalupe Counties and was elected with a confortable margin. During his term in the council, he sponsored the legislation calling for the creation of New Mexico Normal University (New Mexico Highlands) Also in 1892 he was a delegate to the Democartic National Convention where he acted as chairman of the New Mexico delegation.

I was just wondering if you could be related to this man.

Like I said before my interest is in finding information about the Martinez family so I can include it in my book.

I would need the name of your grandfather and great-grandfather so I can trace attemt to trace them back to a Martin Serrano.

Posted: 14 Dec 1999 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 4:08AM GMT
Johnny,
I would like to have my Martinez
Familyin your book. I am a Martin-Serrano
as well and have extensive Research on the Martnez Family of New Mexico and am willing to help anyone with Questions.

Posted: 1 Feb 2000 6:23AM GMT
Felix could you please email me at this address. Martinvi@uvsc.edu I would like to find out more about your family.

Thanks Johnny Martinez

Re: Martinez history before 1850s in NM

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 6:14PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 4:41PM GMT
Max Martinez, we corresponded before, both being descendents of Martin (ez), Santistevan marriages. However, email was returned from your address. Still seeking information on siblings and descendents of Guadelupe Santistevan and her husband. LD
per page

Find a board about a specific topic