Search for content in message boards

UK National Archives

UK National Archives

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 11:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
I plan to go along to try to fill in missing information.

My main area will be around the fact that Ancestry has a lot of birth Indexes online, but these tell you nothing (name of someone and part of year registered). What I need to do is look up the reference identified to see the original birth details.

Has anyone been along to Kew and can confirm I will be able to get the information I need?

Re: UK National Archives

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 2:13PM GMT
Hi,
I’ve been to Kew and the information you’re looking for isn’t held there. Unfortunately, the BMD indexes we search on Ancestry are all that are available for the public to check.

The original registers, which contain all the details, are held in the local register office where the event took place and copies are held by the GRO in Southport but you can’t go in and search through them yourself.

You might want to check out the GRO website at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Best wishes
Linda

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 7:55PM GMT
Thank you - will save me a trip!!! I had a feeling it wouldnt be that easy :-(

That said, most of the ones I want are actually close to where I work so a result anyway!

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 8:13PM GMT
Just a word of warning - using local register offices to get civil registration certificates is becoming trickier, mainly due to local government budget cuts. Some require you to know certain information (like the precise date of the event, or the exact venue of the marriage) before they will supply the certificate. Many now charge a hefty supplementary fee for a same day service. So it is normally easier to order direct from the GRO. The price of certificates is set by law at £9.00. The GRO charge 25p postage to anywhere in the world. Many local register offices charge a higher postage.

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 4:27PM GMT
Hi,
Just to add to what carolbradford said,especially marriage certs.from register offices in cities and towns you generally have to know the church the marriage took place.Best to buy from the GRO at Southport with the ref.from the indexes available on line.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 25 Jan 2012 9:25AM GMT
kew not very helpfull only have information same as you get on computer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions