Search for content in message boards

Salt Lake City Cemetery and Shaare Zadek Cemetery

Salt Lake City Cemetery and Shaare Zadek Cemetery

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rider, Jones
Does anyone know if the Salt Lake City Cemetery has a cemetery within it called Shaare Zedek or if there is a separate Shaare Zedek Cemetery in Salt Lake city? I am researching a husband and wife who appear to be buried in both places, i.e. Find a Grave has them buried in the Salt Lake City cemetery and Billion Graves has them buried in Shaare Zedek. The obituary for the wife indicates burial in Salt Lake City cemetery. I have tried to research but am getting a little confused.

The gravesites I am trying to verify are for Maola Jones Rider and Roy Rider.

Re: Salt Lake City Cemetery and Shaare Zadek Cemetery

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 12:48AM GMT
I looked through the "Shaare Zedek" burials on "Billion Graves".
I ran many of the names listed at this cemetery on Billion Graves through the Utah State Burials. All are buried at Salt Lake City Cemetery.
Read this article:
http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new_york/shul_silent_cemet...

Utah State Burials lists both of them as buried in Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Burial Information: RIDER, ROY LOUIS
Birth: 9/13/1906
Death: 10/11/1966
Burial: 10/14/1966
Place of Birth: FORT STEELE,WYOMING
Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery , WEST_10_60_4E

Burial Information: RIDER, MAOLA JONES
Birth: 8/14/1911
Death: 2/1/2006
Burial: 2/4/2006
Place of Birth: OVERTON, NEVADA
Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery , WEST_10_60_5E
PARENTS:
SIVILLA ANNE HENDERSON (Mother)
ANDREW LARSON JONES (Father)

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 9:31AM GMT
You confused a completely different one that's in New York City with the one defunct congregation in Utah.

The spelling of congregation is different. The ones buried in Sharey Tzedick cemetery did not come from New York. They came mostly from Russia. Congregation Sharey Tzedick failed and members went back to Congregation B'Nai Israel, now merged into Congregation Koi Ami.

The names Rider does not show up in Sharey Tzedick cemetery at all. West Section is in northwest section of the City Cemetery. http://www.slcgov.com/cemetery/cemetery-maps - click on the map to see enlarged one. You will see there is one marked Jewish cemetery at top left corner, that is Sharey Tzedick, it is not part of the City Cemetery at all.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 10:29AM GMT
What I'm confused about is how these people who are actually buried in SLC cemetery have gotten into a database that reflects a different cemetery and how to get it corrected. I knew when I first saw it there was an error, but not sure how to get it fixed.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 11:55AM GMT
Whoever input the burials on Billion Graves is apparently confused and now has caused inaccuracies in information many people rely on when researching families on line.....I would just like to get it cleared up.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 12:35PM GMT
i am checking with billion graves but i wonder if the problem is because they upload photos based on GPS location?

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 12:37PM GMT
Billion Graves has a lot of incorrect memorials, they had me up there just because I already have my headstone placed just waiting for the final year to be added when I pass and I know of others the same way. Just because there is a marker without a death date doesn't mean the person has died.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 11:37PM GMT
36 contributors got it wrong. Sent message to Billiongraves.com about the massive error, almost 50,000 are listed as buried in non-existent Shaare Zadek cemetery.

At least Findagrave.com and Utahgravestones.org have them in correct place.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic