Search for content in message boards

Southern Family

Southern Family

Posted: 11 Oct 2002 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Southern
NEWBIE William James Southern Jr., son of William James Southern "Sonny", son of James Wyley Southern. I am told that this family came from Texas in covered wagons to Jonesboro, Date & Time Unknown

James Wyley was married to Elva Butler
Sonny was married (first to Melba Stamper)
(second to Shirley Mitchell)

James Wyley was married previous to Elva, do believe that the other wife may have bore him a boy named Jimmy.

James Wyley and Elva Butler had 3 children
William James Southern "Sonny"
Diamond Southern who married Marshall Underwood
Emma Jean Southern who married J.B. Caples.

I know that this is not written properly, but please bare with me in my new quest.

Bill

Re: Southern Family

Posted: 6 Jan 2003 4:18PM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2004 5:25PM GMT
talked with your family shirley and she related to me that you lived
somewhere s/la. and that your father had passed away. would like
to say I understand your loss and sorrow. Did not ask Shirley his
burial place and thought I would talk with you first and see what you could give me directly. Don't know about your information as
to where your Southerns migrated from but could be. My direct
family in Jackson parish migrated from Copiah Co. Miss. and married into Womacks in Miss. and Goleman's, Simons, Sikes, Jones, underwoods and many more. Keep talking and will find the
answers. Marilyn

Posted: 3 Feb 2003 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2005 7:01PM GMT
Surnames: SOUTHERN, PULLIG, SIKES, PRINCE
The Southern family from Copiah county, Mississippi has married into several of my direct lines including Pullig and Sikes. Their is also a connection to my Prince family. I would love to exchange information with you. Please email me.

W.J. Southern (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2003 1:41PM GMT
Mrs. Gilbert contact me at Wjsouthern@aol.com and I can send you what I have. As to whether these are of relations I could not advise, But am eager to find a connection somewhere to further my search. WJ Southern

Posted: 4 Feb 2003 5:32PM GMT
Betty
got your mail and the Southerns from Jackson and maybe Bienville are my family. My family is buried in Dothan Cem. Jackson Parish
and along with Brooms, Southern, Sikes, Goleman, Simons, Johnston, and other intertangled lines. My grandmother Johnston
was Francis Broom who parents were Destamonia Southern Broom and Mathew Broom. Destamonia parents were Daniel Southern and Mary Southern. Daniel Southern is a brother to
Rispy Southern and Robert Womack who all migrated from Copiah
Co. and Lawrence Co. Miss. and settled in Bienville and into Jackson parish where they farmed and raised their families and
a intermarried with the community families. I have information
and photo acquired from families and friends who have been
gererous enough to share their treasures and look forward to
hearing more form you and see how we connect. Marilyn

Posted: 4 Feb 2003 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Broom, Southern, Goleman, Sikes, Prince, Simons
Betty
got your mail and the Southerns from Jackson and maybe Bienville are my family. My family is buried in Dothan Cem. Jackson Parish
and along with Brooms, Southern, Sikes, Goleman, Simons, Johnston, and other intertangled lines. My grandmother Johnston
was Francis Broom who parents were Destamonia Southern Broom and Mathew Broom. Destamonia parents were Daniel Southern and Mary Southern. Daniel Southern is a brother to
Rispy Southern and Robert Womack who all migrated from Copiah
Co. and Lawrence Co. Miss. and settled in Bienville and into Jackson parish where they farmed and raised their families and
a intermarried with the community families. I have information
and photo acquired from families and friends who have been
gererous enough to share their treasures and look forward to
hearing more form you and see how we connect. Marilyn

Posted: 4 Feb 2003 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: SOUTHERN, SIKES, PRINCE, CRAIN, WOOD, WOMACK
Thanks for the reply. Your Daniel Southern born 1812 in Mississippi, died 1864 Louisiana, married Mary Ann Wood. Mary Ann died in Chicot Co., Arkansas but is buried in Dothan Cemetery in Jackson Parish, Louisiana. Daniel Southern was the son of Samuel & Keziah Southern of Copiah Co., Mississippi. My great-grandparents, Christopher Lewis Prince and Amanda Jane Tullos Prince are also buried in Dothan Cemetery as is one of their daughters, Mary Mollie Prince Sikes (first wife of Reuben Noah Sikes). Reuben's third wife was Viola Southern. The Sikes family are a direct line for me. My great-grandmother was Sarah Ann Edith Sikes Crain. The Southern family of Bienville Parish descends from a James Southern of Mississippi who I think is probably a son of Samuel Southern. I also have information about Wrizopa "Rispy" Southern Womack since that family has ties to my lines also. I will email you later today.

vickie josephson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2003 4:02AM GMT
Dear Marilyn,
I just found your information on the Southern Family in LA on RootsWeb. I am hoping that you might be able to help me. I am looking for my great-grandmother's family, all from LA. My great-grandmother was Sibbie Anne Tullos born in LA in 1877. I found a Sibey Ann Tullos on the 1880 Census listed as a 4 year old child to R.W. Tullos and Harriet in Jackson Parish, LA. I am now confused. I have been searching for Sibbie's mother for a good 30 years and was always told that her name was Rebecca Southern. I was also told that Rebecca was Cherokee. The pictures that I have would seem to varify that fact. Do you have any clue as to what Southern family may have had a Harriet in it, born around 1850 in LA? I can find no such person. The closest one fitting that criteria would be a Harriet Impson found on the 1850 Census for Bienville Parish the same parish where Samuel and Sarah Womack Southern were. Samuel and Sarah also ended up in Jackson parish. Could there have been an adoption? If you have any clues I would be grateful to exchange information. Thanks, Vickie Josephson

vickie josephson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2003 4:21AM GMT
Dear Bettye,
Just found you on the RootsWeb Board giving information on the Southern Family in LA. I am also working on the Southerns in LA. I am looking for my great-grandmother's family. Her name was Sibbie Annie Tullos born October 12, 1877 in LA and died June 1950 in Childress,TX. I found a Sibey Ann Tullos on the 1880 Census for Jackson Parish, LA listed as a 4 year old child with R.W. and Harriet Tullos. From the information that I can find R.W. I believe is Robert W. the brother of your Amanda Jane Tullos Prince. I am trying to find out about Harriet. From all of my family information, Sibbie's mother was Rebecca Southern. She would have been born around 1850 in LA and died about 1905
in TX. I can't find a Harriet Southern or a Rebecca Southern born about that time period. Can you help me? The only other clues that I have is that Harriet/Rebecca would have been about 1/2 Cherokee and she and Sibey moved to Texas when my great grandmother was small. Sibey married and raised her family in Red River Co., TX. Harriet/ Rebecca married two more times. She married a Robert Dixon and a "Doc" Spears. I can find no birth, death, marriage or divorce papers. Does any of this sound familiar? I hope you can help. I've been looking for Sibbie's family for about 30 years. Thanks to your work, I think I have found her father's line. I would love to find her mother's line. Thanks in advance. Vickie Josephson

Posted: 29 Apr 2003 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Southern, Tullos, Pullig, Busby, Foster, Womack, Hall
Dear Vickie,
I am glad to find another Tullos relative and would be glad to exchange information on that family. I had wondered what happened to Sibbie Anne and her mother.
Robert W. Tullos died in 1914 and is buried in Fellowship Cemetery in Winn Parish, Louisiana. I do not have a Harriet/Rebecca (born abour 1850) in my Southern information. I do have a Rebecca Womack born aabout 1844 Louisiana, daughter of Robert Womack and Rachel Wrizopa Southern but this Rebecca married someone else. Could Harriet/Rebecca be the daughter of Lewis Southern & Elizabeth Hall. I do not have a list of their children. You mention Cherokee ancestry but could it be Choctaw ancestry? The Foster family of Jackson Parish has a connection to the Womack & Southern families. The Fosters are of Choctaw ancestry from Mississippi.
My Ramsey family of Bienville & Jackson Parish are part Cherokee but they did not come to Louisiana until 1880's. It might help to check out the Impson family (who had a daughter named Harriet) and see if they have a Southern connection. I will gladly share what Southern information I have. They are not a direct line for me but my g-g-grandfather, Thomas Anthony Pullig, married (as his third wife) Missouri Southern. Thomas A. Pullig's daughter from his first marriage married Rev. Elbert Elmo Southern, brother to Missouri. My maternal grandmother, Beulah Inez Busby, grew up in the home of Rev. Southern and his wife. I visited the Southern daughters when I was a child but wasn't sure of the exact relationship at the time. I called them "aunts".
Bettye Prince Gilbert

per page

Find a board about a specific topic