William Jasper Garrard-Mary Garvin, Henryetta Croft-Mattie Knight
John Samuel Garrard & Annie Belle
Any info you have would be appreciated.

Re: GARRARD, Jacob

Helen Chapman (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 12:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Garrard, Williams
Your Garrard ancestors were the "Kentucky Clan", and mine descended from Col. William Garrard's cousin, Jacob. This Jacob married Sarah Waters, their son Anthony (1756-1807)married Elizabeth Green, their son Jacob (1789-1842)married Martha Newsome Hardin, their son William Waters Garrard (1818-1866)married Francis Isabella Urquhart. By now they were all settled in GA, hence the "Georgia Clan." I have more details if you need them.

Dorothy Ann Mize (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 3:03PM GMT
Thank you Helen,
I would love to have any info that you are willing to share.
This is all new to me, Geneology research.
Thank you again
You can email me directly if you prefer: NanaPaMize@cs.com

Re: GARRARD Sr., Jacob

Posted: 27 Jan 2002 1:00AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2002 2:00AM GMT
I too am a descendant of Jacob Garrard Sr. I have a copy of the will of his wife Mildred dated 1815, in which she lists all of his living children from Elizabeth Green Garrard, widow of Anthony down to Suzy, the youngest. Thanks to the Kentucky Clan, we know what we know.

Dorothy Mize (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2002 1:21AM GMT
Thanks, I would love to see the will.
Would you share information. You may email me @ NanaPaMize@cs.com

Posted: 8 Feb 2002 2:24AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2002 2:00AM GMT
Dorothy, rather than send this by E-mail, I will post it on the message board in the event someone else may be interested.

Here is the will of Mildred Garrard, wife of Jacob Garrard, Sr.

"Be it remembered that I Mildred Garrard of the county of Orange and State of North Carolina, being very weak of body but of sound mind and memory, do make this my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following: I will that all my just debts and funeral charges be first paid as speedely after my decease as possible by my Executors hereinafter named. I give and bequeath to William Carrington and heirs five shillings. I give and bequeath to William Garrard five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my son in law Joshua Childers the like sum of five shillings. I give and bequeath to the heirs of my son in law George Bryant, five shillings. I give and bequeath to my son Daniel Garrard five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my daughter in law, Elizabeth Garrard, the sum of five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my son John Garrard the like sum of five shillings. I give and bequeath to my son Jacob Garrard the sum of five shillings current money. I give and bequeath to my son Carter N. Garrard one bed furniture and four chairs. I give and bequeath to my son Samuel Garrard, one bed and furniture, 4 chairs together with the tract of land whereon I now live containing seventy nine acres and one tenth. I give and bequeath to my daughter Susy Garrard, two beds and furniture, two bay horses (Paddy & Tory), one cow called Pide and one yearling, four chairs and one chest. It is my will also that the residue of my moveable property be divided between Samuel, Carter and Susy Garrard equally. I nominate and appoint my friend James Walker and Carter Garrard sole Executors of this my last will and Testament and I hereby revoke and disannul all other Wills and Testaments by me in any wise made. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 10th day of February Eighteen hundred and fifteen.

Signed, sealed & published ) her
in the presence of us who have) Mildred Garrard seal
set our names as witnesses) mark
Lot G. Watson
Chuza Hopkins

Orange County May Term 1816
The Execution of the foregoing last Will and Testament of Mildred Garrard deceased, was duly proved in open court by the oath of Lot G. Watson a subscribing witness thereto and ordered to be recorded at the same time Carter Garrard, one of the Executors therein named qualified accordingly. test

Dorothy Mize (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2002 2:44AM GMT
Harvey,
Thank you so very much for the copy of the will. I will add it to my Garrard Book. You made my day. Dorothy Ann

N Sanders (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2002 11:21PM GMT
Hello Helen, My name is Noel Sanders. I ran across your emails with Dorothy and thought I might ask you a question. I am the grandson of Marcus Sylvester Garrard and Mary Elizabeth Self Garrard of Marion Co. AL. They moved to Arkansas prior to 1900. I am trying to find info on Emaline Garrard and children Marcus, Jane and Andrew. I've been told that our line is also from Jacob Garrard and that Emaline and children came from Georgia to Alabama. I found them in the 1850 Census of Marion Co. AL living in the household of a Pleasant Howell. Any any of these names familiar to you. I would appriciate any info that you would be willing to share.
Thank You, Noel Sanders in Oklahoma

Posted: 29 Jan 2003 7:32PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2003 2:54PM GMT
I'm descended from Col. William, have just really began diving into this head first, and am having a great time with all I'm learning. Nice to meet you all!

Sue (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2003 10:50PM GMT
I have a letter in my possesion that I believe was given to me by my grandmother before she died. It is dated Aug. 24, 1982 & is from Frankfurt, KY It reads:

Dear Frederick-Edward and Ralph Fabion: (Ralph's name is crossed out)
I'm afraid that we're going to have to show a little more respect for our firnd Howell. My research at the Kentucky Historical Society's library indicates Mr. Howell really is a direct descendant of Kentucky's second Governor, James Garrard, who was a Baptist minister, a gentleman farmer and owend some 10,000 acres of land, some of it in what is now known as Louisville.
I also discovered that Mr. Howell's penchant for alcohol is rightfully inherited. His roots are in Bourbon County, KY.
I figure that he is a great-great-great-great grandson of the distinguished Garrard (pronounced Gar'ad) who served two terms as Kentucky Governor, 1796-1804. Before coming to Kentucky in 1783 and becoming a Baptist minister, he fought the revolutionary War as a Colonel in the Virginia militia and served in the Virginia legislature.
Meanwhile, Governor Garrard and his lady, the former Elizabeth Mountjoy (no snickers, please!) found time to beget 12 children (5 sons, 7 daughters). With that many kids to support, you can see why they needed those 10,000 acres!
Fritz in his letter of August 19 said his maternal grandfather was George Garrard "who always said one of his forebears was governor of Kentucky around 1800." That made my task easy; record covering 200 years showed only one George Garrard, born in Minnesota. That's a fur piece from Kentucky, but I'll explain the connection later. George Wood Garrard was a great-great grandson of Governor Garrard.
The saga starts aroun 1685 when Peter Garrard, a Hugenot, fled from France. We next find one of Peter's grandsons, Colonel William Garrard, between 1730 and 1740 taking up residence in Stafford County, Virginia, on the Potomac River, 50 miles south of Washington D.C.
James Garrard, the future Governor of Kentucky, was born January 14, 1749 in Stafford County, Virginia, the son of Colonel William Garrard. In 1760 James married Elizabeth Mountjoy in Stafford County.
IN 1783, James and Elizabeth moved to Bourbon county, Kentucky and on Stoner creek built a mansion, named "Mount Lebanon", near Talbot's Station, 4 miles north of Paris. He probably in deference to his Frence ancestry, chose the name of Paris for the county seat of Bourbon Co.
Not long after settling into "Mount Lebanon", James was ordained into the ministry, and good fortune continued his way. Kentucky then was a part of Virginia. James represented Kentucky in the Virginia legislature. On April 3, 1792, he served as a member of the convention which drafted a constitution for the developing new state. And on June, 1, 1792, Kentucky became the 15th state in the Union. It then had 73,677 inhabitants, of whom 12,400 were slaves.
In 1796, running as a Jersonian Republican, James was elected governor, and was reelected in 1800, serving until 1804. He died at Mount Lebanon January 19, 1822.
One of his five sons, James, had been born in Stafford County, Virginia, in 1773, and was 10 years old when the family moved to Bourbon county. Son James became a brigadier general in the Kentucky State Militia, and fought in the war of 1812. He was married in 1793 to Nancy Lewis of Lexington, KY., who had been born in Fairfax County, Virginia. General James Garrard died in 1838.
Japtha Dudley Garrard came into the world Dec. 5, 1802, as the son of General James Garrard and the grandson of of Governor Garrard. he was born in Bourbon County, buy became a lawyer and practiced law in Cincinnati. In 1824 he married Sarah Bella Ludlow, a daughter of Isreal Ludlow, who was one of the founders of Cincinnati. he died in 1824.
Now we have a branch of the Garrard family established in Ohio.
In Cincinnati, there was born to Japtha and Sara Beela Garrard a son, named Isreal. he obtained a law degree from harvard and in 1856 married Catherine Wood, daughter of George Wood, "a distinguished lawyer in New York City." A great-grandson of Governor Garrard, he practiced law in Cincinnati, became a brigadier general in the 7th Ohio Cavalry and fought in the Civil War.
This Isreal Garrard was quite a swiger, apparently. The historians say of him: :being fond of an adventurous life, he sought pleasure and occupation in the West, and spent much time in Missouri, Texas and Minnesota."
General Israel "retired to the quiet agricultural life at Fontenac, on Lake Pepin, in Minnesota," where he died (date not available).
This brings us finally to Fritz' grandpappy, Geroge Wood Garrard, a son of israel and a great-great grandson of Kentucky Governor Garrard. George was born at Frontenac, Minn., and married Virginia Golden Hoffman, daughter of Lindley Murray Hoffman of New York City. George continued to live in Frontenac. (dates not available).
George and Virginia Garrard had two daughters: Beulah and Evelyn. One of these you ladies--if my research is on the beam--became the mother of Frederick Edward Howell.
On June 30, 1983, when the Howells, Lombards and Easterlys gather in Kentucky to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary of Frederick and Hilma, we'll just go to visit Mount Lebanon, which is preserved as a historic site. I understand some Garrards still live in the area and -- if, they are like the Governor's great-great-great-great grandson--maybe one of them will buy us a drink. Anyway, it will be worth the 40 mile trip from Frankfort to watch Fritz cope with all those ghosts.
Genealogically yours,
Ed (no last name is provided)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions