Search for content in message boards

Cost & Updates of Mac version

Cost & Updates of Mac version

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't know about everyone else, but I am frustrated that the MAC update is so enormously expensive. Why is this ancestry? I recently purchased Family Tree Maker Mac software, when low and behold a software update comes out. $20 Okay, that is fine. I went right in to purchase it. Opps - never mind. that is for the PC versions only. Sorry mac users. You will need to go ahead and fork over another $60-$80. Wait! That is until another software updates comes out. And here we go again.

Bottom line.... give me some good ideas of some good mac software that will not require me to take out a loan.

Re: Cost & Updates of Mac version

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 8:57PM GMT
It's what I call "the Mac tax."

Programs like Family Tree Maker, Quicken, MS Office, and others, cost MORE on the Mac and they actually do LESS than their Windows counterparts. And this always includes upgrades that are more expensive than Windows equivalents, too.

There are some better genealogy programs for the Mac, in my opinion. For instance, I really like/liked MacFamilyTree much more than Family Tree Maker for the Mac. However, I also like having a current tree on ancestry.com and I don't want to do double duty to keep both up to date. I really like the syncing feature.

Earlier this summer, I tried running the Windows version of FTM in VMWare, but every time I tried to work with it, I was reminded why I don't like using Windows, so I switched back to the Mac version.

Honestly, I wish Ancestry.com would sell Family Tree Maker to a another company and then release an api for third parties to sync their software with the trees we have online. That would give us much more choice and freedom.

But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 2:14AM GMT
++++1 on the api it's way overdue...
I would rather pay more to another company that has an API integration with Ancestry than see money go out the window for poor software and overkill with social media.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:30PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2013 4:34PM GMT
I don't disagree with the sentiment, though you're exaggerating the cost difference. At reatail it's $39.99 for Windows vs $69.99 for Mac; currently they're on sale for $29.99 and $52.49 respectively. Less than 2X the cost, not 3X-4X as you implied.

When I moved to Mac I set up VMWare and migrated my Windows computer over, including FTM 2012. It worked, but I just disliked having to go into Windows for a program I use so often so I went ahead and got the Mac version.

Hopefully we'll see an update soon - I haven't seen official public word, but the implication/expectation is we'll have some of the features I really loved from the recent 2012 updates, such as hierarchical place name resolution & ability to resume sync after restoring an FTM file. I'd also like to see improvements to the reports to match what Windows will do, like different numbering systems on the descendant reports.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 6:52PM GMT
At the time I wrote that post, the update for PC was $20. The mac update was $80 and they had it "on sale" for $59.99. The part that was further frustrating is that I had purchased the software about 6 weeks before that. It is still $52, which is far more than it is worth, and far more than I am willing to pay.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic