Search for content in message boards

The 1939 Register for England and Wales

The 1939 Register for England and Wales

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 11:00PM GMT
Classification: Census
I found out by chance about this register. It is a kind of mini census that was created in 1939 so that Identity Cards could be issued to the population prior to the second World War. It is produced by the NHS Information Centre. They made a record of the civilian population and you can apply to get information on an individual or family but please note **there is a charge for the service**. I found out about it from a local family historian I went to see as I am having difficulty tracing my grandad. I have sent off an application form and fee but to date I have not heard back (they say they reply within 20 days). Has anyone used this successfully?

Re: The 1939 Register for England and Wales

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 2:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
More information and a link to an application can be found at
http://www.ic.nhs.uk/services/1939-register-service

"Note: data will only be released for individuals who have died and are now recorded as deceased."

The cost is £42.

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 8:01PM GMT
Yes thank you for the information. I was ok on that point as my grandad died in 1965. They have cashed my cheque so I am waiting to hear now. No refunds are given if they don't have any information on the person you are enquiring about either. I am hoping to get a date of birth. Thanks.

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 8:36PM GMT
That's a big investment. Hope you get your money's worth! :-)

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 4:25PM GMT
We also had one in Canada, and I got
one for my g.father born England
it had around 6 pages of questions he
answered, including his birthdate,where born
and where his parents were born,

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 8:43PM GMT
Thanks. To get 6 pages of info is fantastic. I am waitng patiently to see if I get anything at all that would be useful. I can't see why they would not have my relative in the records. I have already done so much research and drawn a blank I am getting desperate now to find something/anything.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 12:38PM GMT
I did get a reply to my enquiry and managed to get confirmation of date of birth, address and occupation for the person I was looking for. So it is worth the investment if you are really stuck I think.

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 4:51PM GMT
Hi Maggie,

thanks for posting this info-I (and probably lots of others)had no idea this register existed.

Is there any other info in the reply other than name,age,address etc.

Diane

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 10:25AM GMT
Hello Diane. In answer to your question there are only basic details on the 1939 Register. I already knew where my grandad had lived in 1939 so all I gave them was his name and address. They confirmed his name and address, date of birth, the fact that he was married and his occupation. I had wanted to get a date of birth with a view to getting a birth certificate, but I do not know where my grandad was born so I still can't get a copy birth certificate for him by just knowing just his d.o.b. My reasearch has been extensive and I still can't find him. So although it cost me £42 to get the info I am still no further forward. I would really think about it before you part with your money! Best wishes.

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 4:01PM GMT
Hi,
Someone might be able to help if you give your grandads name and date of birth or even where he died.

Regards

Sandra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions