Search for content in message boards

William Peters(Indian Peter) PA bef.1781 - IN/KY

William Peters(Indian Peter) PA bef.1781 - IN/KY

Posted: 27 Jun 2002 10:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Peters - Buffington - Butler
Searching for information on "Indian" Peter - known as William Peters. He died prior to 1781 when his wife Mary was listed as a widow. The widow remarried to Ebenezer Foote and the family went to Dearborn County IN and also across the river in KY during the Indian uprisings. Any help or suggestions will be really appreciated. Was he really an Indian? Supposedly Connestoga but he owned land and could read and write. His wife was "white" -- know by a diary that is extant.
Descendants of William Peters

1 William Peters (Indian Peter d: before 1781 in Washington Co, PA
.. +Mary d: in Dearborn Co, IN
2 [4] Stephen Peters b: in prob PA d: Aft. 1840 in Auroa, IN
.... +[5] Mary E. d: Bef. 1832 in Dearborn Co., IN
2 [3] William Peters
2 [1] Joseph Peters
2 [2] Peter Peters
2 Elizabeth Mahalia Peters
.... +Joseph Buffington
*2nd Husband of Elizabeth Mahalia Peters:
.... +David Butler
*2nd Wife of William Peters:
.. +Mary d: in Dearborn Co, IN
2 Mahalia Peters
.... +Joseph Buffington
*2nd Husband of Mahalia Peters:
.... +David Butler
2 [1] Joseph Peters
2 [2] Peter Peters
2 [3] William Peters
2 [4] Stephen Peters b: in prob PA d: Aft. 1840 in Auroa, IN
.... +[5] Mary E. d: Bef. 1832 in Dearborn Co., IN

Re: William Peters(Indian Peter) PA bef.1781 - IN/KY

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 5:46PM GMT
These are some things I found out about Indian Peter. I am descendant of Elizabeth "Mahala" Peters, Buffington. I found some of this confusing as one source says his name was "John" and one source says his name was "William".

Colonel Burd's Journel, talk about "two indians, William Sack and Indian Peter from Connistoga Town" But I am not sure which Indian Peter this was.

*"Indian" John Peters was born Abt. 1735 in Near Uniontown and Brownsville, PA, and died date unknown. He married *Mary.
John (Indian) Peters who per History of Fayette Co.,PA. had land on Redstone Creek in 1768. I n 1769 he obtained 339 acres including Indian Hill and Krepps Knob. up on
Some disagreement as to whether this John or his son William Peters is Indian Peters; this fr om Gladys Feicke. A write ups from the book "History of Dearborn and Ohio Counties" publishe d by F. E.p on Indian Peter seems to verify that John Peters is "Indian Peters".
Excerpts from the book "History of Dearborn and Ohio Counties" published by F.E. Weakley an d Co., Published 1885. referencing the Peters Family.
Page 848
" The Indians were of the tribe called Shawneese. In the latter part of 1796, Blue Jacket bor rowed a saddle of father to accompy Simon Girty to Detroit. He came back faithfully and retur ned the saddle, but Girty never came back, that I know of, though he had a son, who was reare d mostly in Dearborn County, and went by the name Simon Peters, and was married in Dearborn C ounty, thence removed to Marion County, where he ended his days, leaving a family. Mr. Adam F lake informed me of the families as they came. In 1798 Ebenezer Foot (stepfather of the Peter es and Mahala Butler)---Names that followed were none of our line."

I'm just not sure how this quote verifies that John Peters is Indian Peter. I guess I must be missing something?

Then I found another exerpt that says that William was Indian Peters. This is from West Brownsville Borough (pp. 635)History of Washington County, Pennsylvania *

"Although West Brownsville is but a modest, unassuming little borough, and occupies, comparatively speaking, but an insignificant portion of the surface of Washington County, its history is not uninteresting.
It seems that during the middle of the last century, and prior to the year 1769, a friendly Indian named William Peters, yet more generally known as "Indian Peter," lived on lands in the Youghiogheny Valley, adjoining a German named Philip Shute,1 with whom he could not agree. Thereupon Indian Peter wrote the proprietaries' agent, saying that he could not "get along with the d—d Dutchman," and wished to give up his land for another tract. His request was promptly complied with it appears, for on the 5th day of April, 1769, but two days after the land-office (for the sale of land in this newly-purchased territory) was opened, warrant No. 2844 was granted him for a tract containing three hundred and thirty-nine acres situated on the west side of the Monongahela River. This land was surveyed Oct. 7, 1769, by James Hendricks, deputy surveyor-general, who gave it the name of "Indian Hill.""

If you have any information on him I would like to hear it. Thanks

Posted: 15 Aug 2011 12:12AM GMT
I have not ever heard this before, however, having said that my family lore does say we came from Pennsylvania (interesting)

Posted: 20 Feb 2014 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: Peters
I live in Peters Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania not too far from Peters Creek. It is alleged that this township was named after someone named "Indian Peter" or William Peters. Our school mascot is the Indians. William Peter's 339 acre tract was actually located near West Brownsville, PA, which is actually not very close.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19810709&...

This area south of Pittsburgh was actually considered by many residents to be a part of Virginia until 1784.

Indian Peter is mentioned in "History of Washington County: From Its First Settlement to the Present Time ..." By Alfred Creigh
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions