Search for content in message boards

VON Bretton or DE Bretton in St Croix

VON Bretton or DE Bretton in St Croix

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Mar 2012 9:02AM GMT
Surnames: de Bretton or von Bretton, Bott, Locke
Seeking information regarding my ggg grandmother:

ANNA de Bretton (possibly von Bretton) was born in St Croix in 1825 and married a priest based in Tortola named Alexander BOTT around 1845 ???

Alexander Bott (Clerk of the Holy Orders) died in poverty in 1850.

Apparently Anna Bott (formerly de Bretton)is listed in a few of the (Danish) St Croix Census's beginning around 1850 until around 1870's. Anna is listed as being supported by her brother. Who was her brother ??? Anna BOTT died in Fowey, Cornwall in 1909.

Anna had a daughter named MARY BOTT (also listed in the Danish census). Mary Bott was born in 1848 in Tortola.

Mary Bott married John LOCKE (his second marriage), possibly in Barbados (John LOCKE was the father of the Famous Author: William John Locke 1863 - 1930).

Basically does anyone out there have a decent written family history/family tree of the DE BRETTON's in St Croix and/or know of where to find this information....coz trust me I have tried......

Re: VON Bretton or DE Bretton in St Croix

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Von Bretton
Von Bretton appears twice in the Virgin Island Families web site

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 4:17PM GMT
Hey Clare

Thanks for the info. Do you have the website address ?

Cheers

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 5:08PM GMT
Surnames: Von Bretton
www.vifamilies.org
Then choose family listings
Then choose Heitman ( my distant ancestor)
Then number 18.Emilla Augusta Uylendaele Baroness de Bretton
and number 27. Udney Maria von Bretton Foss
Probably a wild goose chase!
Clare

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 8:23PM GMT
I chose Uytendaele
Joseph Baron de Bretton (there were apparently cousins of Anna Bott)

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 4:44AM GMT
Surnames: De Bretton
A fascinating family. According to vifamilies.org's Svend Holsoe, the Uytendaele family of St. Thomas/St. Croix received a baronetcy from the Danish king in 1763 and 1767. The family apparently originated in French Flanders and came out to the Caribbean ca 1664 or before, which would be considered to be early.

There is the intriguing tidbit in Gentleman's Quarterly when one searches Google Books for 'De Bretton' + 'St Croix.' "De Bretton, Baroness Judith, eldest dau. Baron Frederick de Bretton, St. Croix, m Lt. Cumming, Guadaloupe, 1812." Then Deaths: "July 12 [1821, I think], At St. Anne's, Barbadoes, the relict [widow] of Capt Cumming, Deputy Assistant Quartermaster General of that island, daughter of the late Baron de Bretton, of the island of St. Croix."

Also, though I can only view previews, Friderich figures in Hall's "Slave Society in the Danish West Indies." Are you in the US? You can put that book title into worldcat.org, then put in your zip code, and find the book in a library near you. Apparently, Baron Friderich de Bretton, Jr., plotted in 1807 to overthrow the Danes in St Croix and establish a republic under English protection.

Hope someone gets a hit.
Laura in NC

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 2:40PM GMT
Hey Laura,
Thanks for the info. I'm in the UK and will certainly follow up the information.

Cheers,
Amy.

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 7:45PM GMT
Hi Family Von Bretton,
For years I am working on the family tree of the grandfather ( Richard Benjamin Gumbs (born 18….?) married to Karen Marie Romney in the Methodist church in Anguilla) of my father Abraham Albertus Gumbs ( born in Dutch St.Martin). My parent migrates to Curacao where I was born. For 46 years I am living in Holland.
In my search of the family tree I’ve found the history of William Gumbs-Carter who was a planter in St.Martin and Anguilla.
His sons and daughters married into the family van Romond (the first Dutch governor of St. Martin). The grandson of this governor named Diederich Johan van Romondt mother was the daughter of Baron and baroness von Bretton ( born as a French/Flemish van Uylendeale and was nighted by the Danish crown as baron von Bretton and his wife as a baroness. His first wife was his full cousin so the share the same grandparents baron and Barones von Bretton. For his second marriage he married the daughter of William Gumbs Carter and his two daughters married the two sons of William Gumbs Carter.
As I’ve understood Baron von Breton was a cptain of a ship and for so far I know the grandfather of my father Richard Benjamin Gumbs was registered during that same period as a Seaman. The family Gumbs of Anguilla were Ship builders and Planters.
So if by chance you find Richard Benjamin Gumbs in your family tree please let me know.
I have more information about the family William Gumbs –Carter, Van Rommondt ,von Bretton.
Hope to hear soon from you.
Ingrid Gumbs

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 7:46PM GMT
Hi Family Von Bretton,
For years I am working on the family tree of the grandfather ( Richard Benjamin Gumbs (born 18….?) married to Karen Marie Romney in the Methodist church in Anguilla) of my father Abraham Albertus Gumbs ( born in Dutch St.Martin). My parent migrates to Curacao where I was born. For 46 years I am living in Holland.
In my search of the family tree I’ve found the history of William Gumbs-Carter who was a planter in St.Martin and Anguilla.
His sons and daughters married into the family van Romond (the first Dutch governor of St. Martin). The grandson of this governor named Diederich Johan van Romondt mother was the daughter of Baron and baroness von Bretton ( born as a French/Flemish van Uylendeale and was nighted by the Danish crown as baron von Bretton and his wife as a baroness. His first wife was his full cousin so the share the same grandparents baron and Barones von Bretton. For his second marriage he married the daughter of William Gumbs Carter and his two daughters married the two sons of William Gumbs Carter.
As I’ve understood Baron von Breton was a cptain of a ship and for so far I know the grandfather of my father Richard Benjamin Gumbs was registered during that same period as a Seaman. The family Gumbs of Anguilla were Ship builders and Planters.
So if by chance you find Richard Benjamin Gumbs in your family tree please let me know.
I have more information about the family William Gumbs –Carter, Van Rommondt ,von Bretton.
Ingrid Gumbs

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 7:47PM GMT
Hi Family Von Bretton,
Ingrid Gumbs

per page

Find a board about a specific topic