Search for content in message boards

HEISER-Mexican War aboard ship 1850 census

HEISER-Mexican War aboard ship 1850 census

Phyllis Dearborn (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2004 2:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Heinrich HEISER served aboard the ship Germantown as a Marine from late 1847 until 1851 , sailing from Norfolk to the Gulf during the Mexican War. He had enlisted in Philadelphia. When the war was over, he stayed aboard, sailing/protecting the southern and eastern coast of US and in the Caribbean until 1851 when he was discharged at the Marine Barracks of the Navy Shipyard in Brooklyn, NY. This I determined from his pension file and the Dictionary of Fighting Ships which documents the itinerary of the Germantown. My question: were men accounted for somewhere who were serving aboard a ship during a census year?

Good question: Enumerating Sailors on Census

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 1:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
DearMYRTLE, your friend in genealogy
--------------------------------------------------------
Good question: Enumerating Sailors on Census

On a message board posting:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/topics.methods....

DearMYRTLE,
Heinrich HEISER served aboard the ship Germantown as a Marine from late 1847 until 1851, sailing from Norfolk to the Gulf during the Mexican War. He had enlisted in Philadelphia. When the war was over, he stayed aboard, sailing/protecting the southern and eastern coast of US and in the Caribbean until 1851 when he was discharged at the Marine Barracks of the Navy Shipyard in Brooklyn, NY. This I determined from his pension file and the Dictionary of Fighting Ships which documents the itinerary of the Germantown. My question: were men accounted for somewhere who were serving aboard a ship during a census year?

DearPHYLLIS,
This is a great question. To my knowledge, there has been no "Census Bureau" provision for enumerating people who are not on US soil on census day. Has anyone had more experience with this?

A major point of the census enumeration is to determine House of Representatives allocations, and so it is based on who lives where. Even so, if a person was visiting in another household whether in the same town or across the country, on census day, he is listed in that household not at home.

I think our answer is NO, men were not enumerated on a US Federal census when aboard ship during a census year. So it looks like you won't find your ancestor Heinrich HEISER in the 1850 US Federal Census. You may find his parents if they were still living, or his wife and children if he was married.

Happy family tree climbing!
Myrt :)
DearMYRTLE,
6023 26th Street West PMB 352
Bradenton, FL 34207
Myrt@DearMYRTLE.com
http://www.DearMYRTLE.com

Re: HEISER-Mexican War aboard ship 1850 census

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Death
This may or may not help somewhere...
Attachments: