Search for content in message boards

Patrick Dorgan

Patrick Dorgan

Posted: 9 Apr 2009 12:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dorgan, Farren
Hi,

I'm having great difficulty trying to follow up some of my paternal ancestors from Cork.

My Grandmother Maureen Dorgan (b.6/5/1907) was unnamed on her birth certificate, it would seem that the Civil Registration Office will not send me a copy of the birth certificate unnamed.

Her father was Patrick Dorgan and mother Ellen Mary Farren. She had a brother Patrick Dorgan who was most likely born between 1900 and 1910 in Cork.

According to family lore, he became the editor of the Cork Examiner. He married Eva and they lived in Snugborough (near Cork). Ellen Mary Farren is believed to have been a teacher. Her husband Patrick is believed to have left the family and emmigrated to US.

At the moment I'm stuck. As it would appear that Patrick Dorgan (son) is the most prominent family member, I though I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas.

I am told that he died around 1980 to 1995. Presumably if he was editor of the Cork Examiner it would have been 20 - 30 years before his death.

regards

Mark

Re: Patrick Dorgan

Posted: 20 Apr 2009 2:46PM GMT
Hi Mark.

Patrick Dorgan and Mary Ellen Farren were married in Cork Jan-Mar 1907 Volume 5 Page 124. This may explain the situation re Maureen.

Brendan

Posted: 20 Apr 2009 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Dorgan
Hi,

I have written to Irish records office to try to obtain a copy of this marriage cert but am still waiting at the moment.

I mentioned in my earlier post that Patrick Dorgan(snr) was known to have left for New York. I have found a passenger record for him in 1909 onboard the Cedric.

I'm having difficulty reading the address, he is on line 12,
not sure if this link will work okay>

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&...

otherwise the record is Cedric arrival date 26 Sep 1909.

Would someone with a better eye than mine be able to check the address please?

BTW the occupation of 'clerk' does fit with what little I know of him.

Thnakyou

Mark

Posted: 20 Apr 2009 7:40PM GMT
Hi Mark.

It looks like Matavourney, Cork, there is a Ballyvourney, he was visiting his brother Michael, I am sure we can check it out.

Brendan

Posted: 21 Apr 2009 6:10PM GMT
Surnames: Dorgan
Hi Brendan

I checked google but could not find any reference to Matavourney, also how do you know he may have been visitng his brother Michael?

I can see the reference to Robert Dorgan (father).

I had a look on familysearch.org but the results for Cork did not seem to help at all.

Your help is appreciated.

Mark

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 11:36AM GMT
Mark,

Going back to the shipping record it states Brother Mr J Dorgan 23 Watercourse Cork, there is a Watercourse Rd in Cork City.

Brendan

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 11:37AM GMT
Mark,

Should read 22, Watercourse

Brendan

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 6:34PM GMT
Yes I agree.

There are some references to Dorgan and Water Course via Google.

Thanks

Mark

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 6:42PM GMT
Marriage Certificate

9/2/07 Patrick Dorgan 22 Watercourse Road father Cornelius Dorgan

married

Mary Ellen Farren 35 Pope's Quay father Timothy Farren.

Both fathers are deceased.

Witnessed by Paul E. Farren and Mary Dorgan.

Birth Cert

Ellen Mary Farren 17/06/1882 Timothy Farren (father) and Mary Farren formerly...(I will have to post a scan as I can't read it!

Patrick Dorgan 2/10/1882 father Cornelius Dorgan and mother Hannah Dorgan formerly Donoghue.

So I know that the passenger list does indeed relate to my g-grandfather. I wonder what happened to him?

Posted: 13 May 2009 12:14AM GMT
the adress on the manifest reads ,cousin Mathew Lynch,55 West ,137 St ,New York .I think the person associated with the Cork Examiner is Theo Dorgan also linked with Glen Rovers GAA Club more than likely the Watercourse Road adress is correct .Monte in Cork .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic