Search for content in message boards

1915 St Louis Post Dispatch lookup request - Nellie Caffall

1915 St Louis Post Dispatch lookup request - Nellie Caffall

Posted: 16 Jan 2014 4:49PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Williamson, Caffall, Constable
I'm trying to find the obituary for Nellie S Williamson Caffall 1852-1915, in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch 1915. April 18, page 1B and burial permit April 20 page 21.

I'm trying to find Nellie's parents and confirm if Adeline Williamson Constable, 1837-1858 was Nellie's sister.

Re: 1915 St Louis Post Dispatch lookup request - Nellie Caffall

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
The family of Benjamin and Celenea Williamson born in England is on the 1860 St. Louis census with daughters Ellen age 8 and Adeline age 4, both born in St Louis. Benjamin is named as the father on Nellie Caffall's 1915 Death Certificate.

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 6:49PM GMT
Thank you for pointing me to that census record. Something doesn't quite fit with this 4-year old Adeline unless she is not Ben and Celenea's biological child. Perhaps their niece. The Adeline Williamson Constable in my tree died in 1858, however she did have a daughter Addie. It could be that Addie stayed with the Caffall's until her father remarried and then joined him later. In 1870 Addie is with the Constable family in the Dakota Territory census. Is it possible to get a copy or transcription of Nellie Caffall's death certificate? Really appreciate the help! :-)

Posted: 27 Jan 2014 3:39PM GMT
Nellie's death certificate is on the Missouri State Archives website at
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates/#...
Just enter Caffall as Surname and Nellie as first name and 1915 as
date of death.

Posted: 27 Jan 2014 4:03PM GMT
Thanks again, I had not found that website and really appreciate the help!

Posted: 27 Jan 2014 7:01PM GMT
Can't find any further info on Benjamin except his Civil War Draft registration so perhaps he died during the civil war. Does not show up on any later records in St. Louis that I have found. He's
not buried in Bellefontaine with all of the Caffalls. Can't place the daughter Margaret age 33 on the
1930 St. Louis census that is not shown in the family of Reuben and Nellie on the 1900 census with
just the one daughter Gertrude.

Posted: 27 Jan 2014 8:55PM GMT
I really appreciate your time, and the puzzle I'm researching is all due to Margaret. She was born in 1896 in Vermont, to Willard May and Lillian Constable. Lillian died in 1898, Willard in 1902. Lillian's sister Bessie, my great great-grandmother, brought Lillian and Willard's daughter Margaret to St Louis after Willard passed away. Family members never knew exactly why they brought Margaret so far away from the family in New Hampshire and we may never know the exact reason. Margaret traveled quite extensively and visited the family in New England many times, she is in several of our family photos. So, my quizzical mind kicked in, why bring Margaret to this particular family? Bessie Constable's father Nathaniel was married twice. The first time, to an Adeline Williamson, who died in 1856. My assumption is Nellie and Adeline are related. Maybe sisters, or perhaps cousins. Margaret was adopted by the Caffall family, and that is also the name on her small gravestone in New Hampshire, next to her biological parents.

Thank you again for the searching you have done, and the link to the website. I know Adeline Williamson married Nathaniel Constable in 1856, died in 1858 leaving one daughter Addie C. I still haven't determined the link between Adeline and Nellie, and the information helped me with certainly fills in the puzzle just a little more.

Sorry for the long response, I appreciate the help.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014 3:05PM GMT
Why is Nathaniel Constable buried in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis while his wife and daughter Lillian are buried in Evergreen? Seems like a far place to go to be buried in a National Cemetery unless he had been sent to the veterans hospital in St. Louis and died there.
Margaret M. Caffall was the informant on the death certificate of Reuben Caffall, her adoptive father.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014 3:49PM GMT
Nathaniel was home in St Louis while on leave from military service when he died in early 1880. He was a quartermaster and posted at several forts in the "wild west" after the Civil War. After he died, his widow Sarah eventually moved back to NYC, where she was born. I'm not certain exactly when she returned, I do have city records showing her residing in NYC in the 1890 timeframe. Their daughter Elizabeth (Bessie) married her husband in NYC in 1891, and I'm trying to remember how they ended up in Winchester, New Hampshire. Nonetheless, Sarah went with them to New Hampshire and she passed away in 1903. Bessie's sister Lillian (Margaret Caffall's mother) married in Winchester in 1895 and died there in 1898, Margaret's father in 1902. Margaret's scrap books of her annual visits home to New Hampshire from 1936 through the early 50s (with her trusty Dodge, which she named Patricia) mentions visiting the cemetery every time. I don't really know why this particular piece of my family intrigues me so much, perhaps because it's a bit different than I'm used too, and I continue finding bits and pieces of information.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014 4:25PM GMT
Answered my question since Nathaniel Stevens Constable died at Fort Pierce and was buried there but reinterred in Jefferson Barracks Cemetery in St. Louis. Wife Adaline is show as age 13 born in Pennsylvania with her parents Robert and Susan Williamson on the 1850 census in St. Louis. Now have to find a relationship between this Robert Williamson and Benjamin Williamson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions