Search for content in message boards

Issac & Elizabeth Barley Hall (Huntingdonshire>Yorkshire ) > Amos & Rebecca Hall (Paradise, UT)

Issac & Elizabeth Barley Hall (Huntingdonshire>Yorkshire ) > Amos & Rebecca Hall (Paradise, UT)

Kay Lundell (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2002 5:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 1:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Barley, Arborne, Pearce, Mickelsen
I am wondering if there is anyone out there who descends from Amos and Rebecca Hall who lived in Paradise. Their children are Charles, William, Elizabeth, Louise R., James F., Eliza J. and Martha. Would like to correspond and swap information. Kay

Re: Amos & Rebecca Barley Hall, Paradise, UT

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 4:15AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Barley
Hi Kay,
I don't descend from Amos & Rebecca but I am related to Amos through his mother, Elizabeth (Barley) Hall. Amos is my 1st cousin 4 times removed and his mother Eliz. is my 3g-grandaunt. In fact, I was just up at the Paradise cemetery taking pictures of their graves. I was hoping I might run into one of their descendants but that would have been a real miracle. I have further information on the Barley line I would be happy to share.

Isaac & Elizabeth Hall > Amos & Rebecca Barley Hall, Paradise, UT

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 6:59PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 1:32PM GMT
Hi, Amos is my 3rd great grand uncle, and his mother and father, Elizabeth and Isaac Hall are my 4xgreat grandparents. I'm descended from the Halls around Keysoe, Riseley and Bedford, one of whom married and moved to Wales. I'd be interested in knowing more about why Isaac and Elizabeth moved to America.

Issac & Elizabeth Barley Hall > Amos & Rebecca Hall, Paradise, UT

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 8:56PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 1:34PM GMT
Hi Rebecca - we were in touch earlier this year. Good to hear from you. Elizabeth (Barley) Hall, Isaac Hall, and their son, Amos Hall all converted to Mormonism and as part of that, emigrated to the US and specifically to Utah in the early 1870s. It's fascinating to me that a mother and father would leave their children (granted they were all adults when they left) but still....I believe they were not doing well financially - Isaac was a shepherd and perhaps there were promises of a better life in the US? We can only speculate but there is info out there about the history there...http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mormon/history/uk.sh...
I am not Mormon but was in Salt Lake City on business this summer and drove the 2 hrs to see their graves.
Merry Christmas Rebecca from your distant cousin, Lauren
lfbrockm(at)gmail.com

Issac & Elizabeth Barley Hall (Huntingdonshire>Yorkshire ) > Amos & Rebecca Paradise, UT

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 1:56PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2012 1:39PM GMT
Hi Lauren,
Elizabeth and Isaac moved to Yorkshire before they left for America (the 1871 census shows they took their sons George and Jacob with them). Yorkshire is so far away from Huntingdonshire, it seems an odd place to go if you wanted to maintain contact with your family. Even with a car today, it's a 4 or 5 hour drive at least, so I'm guessing they weren't planning on visiting their grown-up children too often! It looks as though they might have moved to the north of England in search of work, and then had a better offer of a new life in America. It would be interesting to know how this all came about - you can almost imagine them writing a letter saying they'd decided to emigrate to a Mormon town in Utah, and did anyone else fancy joining them? Both Isaac and Elizabeth were in their 60s when they left England, so they must have been brave and adventurous people. I will certainly be doing some more research about Paradise Cache and its settlers.
Merry Christmas from your distant cousin in the UK, Rebecca
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions