Search for content in message boards

Rogers

Rogers

Eva Shy (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROGERS
Seeking information on Doswell Charles Rogers born in York Co., Virginia in 1736. Suspect his parents were immigrants. Also a marriage record. Do not know name of parents or spouse. Please help if possible. Thanks

Doswell Rogers

Posted: 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2002 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: ROGERS
There is not such a person as Doswell Charles Rogers. This is inaccurate information that someone has put on the web.
There is a Doswell Rogers b. in 1736. The place is unknown, however we are working on the theory that his parents could be Adduston Rogers and Catherine Doswell. In that case his family has been in York Co. for years. They are not newcomers to the colonies.

Doswell Rogers has a great grandson who is named DAUSWELL Charles Rogers and was born ca 1832 in Marion Co. TN. He is part of my direct line.

I wrote DESCENDANTS OF DOSWELL ROGERS in 1976 and will be glad to share any info. From Whom are you descended?

Eleanor

Re: Doswell Rogers

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 4:46AM GMT
Surnames: rogers
has there been a connection made between doswell and adduston?jerry

michelle Capps (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2003 4:29PM GMT
Hi Eleanor,
Did Doswell have a son named Joseph?

Posted: 4 Oct 2003 8:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2004 1:43AM GMT
I went to Goochland and Louisa Cos. VA last fall. However, I got there in the middle of the sniper shootings and just ran in and out of the courthouses and headed for the other side of the Blue Ridge.

While I was in Goochland I found 3 more pieces of documentation for Catherine and Aduston which I had never seen before. However, I was having to read page by page because these were NOT in the index. No telling what else might have been there. The snipers were just down the road and I did NOT get everything I am sure.

As for finding that one piece of paper that ties Doswell to Catherine and Aduston, I did not find it. However, that does not mean that it isn't there. There are a lot of books to be searcher and if you go page by page it is going to take some time.

I am going back to VA in the spring.

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2004 7:11PM GMT
Yes, he had a son, Joseph (w. Cynthia Margaret (Maggie) Starrett) & they had a daughter Sarah. She married Samuel Ferrell, who appears to be my great-grandfather. I can't find anything on their son, Yural(?) who was my grandfather. He abandoned his family (my father, aunt, & uncle) during the Depression & my father refused to ever give any info on him. Earlier names would include Mary "Polly" Davis and Elizabeth Ann Heard.

Michelle capps (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 11:03PM GMT
Hi Thomas,
Thank you so much for responding. Do you know who Doswell's father was? Also do you know who Joseph's sons were?

Posted: 4 Nov 2003 4:25AM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2004 1:43AM GMT
Some of the information given here is not accurate. There is a difference between Doswell Rogers b. 1736 and Dauswell Charles Rogers b. ca 1824.They are great-grandfather and great-grandson.Joseph Henry is the son of Dauswell Charles Rogers. He had two families. His first wife was Mary Jane Womack. I descend from this line. His second wife was Margaret C. Starrett. They had 4 children--Clyde, Stanford, Mildred, and Joseph. They did not have a dau named Sarah. Mildred died at age two.I have 35 years of research on this family tree and its branches. Most of my data is documented. Will be glad to exchange on this particular Rogers tree coming out of VA. Earliest documented county is Halifax in 1762 Only theories after that.

Michael Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2003 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Doswell, Adustan
Have you had any more luck in verifying his parents. I am a direct decendant of doswell. I also believethere May be a connection to the following people.
1. John Rogers who died March 15, 1714 in York Co., Va. and was married to Agnes Adustan who was born around 1640 in York Co., Va.

2. They had a son named Thomas Rogers who was born Bet. 1670 and 1673. He Married Grizzell Clements of Abington Parish, Glouchester Co., Va.

3. They had a son named Clayton Rogers who could be a father or uncle to Adenstone who you have mentioned as a possible father to doswell. This would certianly make the connection between Rogers, Doswell, Adustan families. If you can provide any help I would be thankful.

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 1:38PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2004 7:05PM GMT
John Aduston is the man who began the Aduston entailment. There is a very good article in the 1989 NGS Quarterly, Vol. 77, #2, June, 1989,. which explains in full how it happened. However, the possible connection did not happen as you have described in steps #2 and #3. I am going to skip all of the generations in between John Aduston and where I think that my Doswell may have been created. You can read them for yourself in the NGS Quarterly. My brief lineage (which is still in question) possibly begins on page 97 +4 iii.

Many years after John Aduston died an Adduston Rogers married a Catherine Doswell. They have 3 children which are named in the York Co. VA Parish records. One chld is found in a grandmother's Will. The rest I am trying to document as being possible children--Doswell Rogers b. 1736 and Thomas Rogers ca 1740. (I suspect to be a brother, but NOT proven.)

I am looking for descendants of Adduston Rogers and Catherine Doswell of York Co.VA to Goochland Co. VA where Adduston died ca 1747. I have not found provisions for his family which may or may not exist because he died intestate. There is a very small inventory which reveals very little data.

At present I have found about 25 or 30 Adustones Rogers who are WEST of the Blue Ridge and are not from those of the Tidewater area with the possible excetpion of one. I am trying to keep a profile on each of them Possibly I have found a grandson of Catherine in Cape Girardeau, MO.

Eleanor
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions