Search for content in message boards

Canterbury, WV

Canterbury, WV

Posted: 31 Mar 2001 5:25AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 1:58PM GMT
Does anyone know the history of Canterbury, WV?
Who were the Canterburys living in the area?

Sincerely,

Don

Canterbury WV

Patricia Schmidt (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2001 7:35AM GMT
My great-grandfather's birthplace was named as Canterbury WV in his obituary. His mother was Mary A. Canterbury/Hatton.

Re: Canterbury, WV

dhowarth (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2002 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
hi, i've read your message! now, why do you want the history
on the wv canterburys? are related to any of the canterburys from wv? if yes;who? i ask because my mother is a direct desendent of the canterburys and so am i.we know thw canterbury history very well! we have photos graphs.no,one
on this message board knows the canterburys better then my mother and me;as far as i can see.

Posted: 5 Aug 2005 3:29PM GMT
Do you have a Rebecca Canterbury in your family. born early 1930's in west virginia???

Posted: 23 May 2012 3:57PM GMT
Hi, I hope you are still on the list. Do you know anything about the Canterburys who were in Boone WV and may have been in Gallia, OH? Mary Adaline Canterbury m. Joel Hatten in Gallia Co. in 1836 but I think she was the daughter of Isaac Joel Canterbury. Would appreciate any information you can share.

Barton Lewis

Posted: 29 May 2012 2:02AM GMT
I might be able to offer some help in answering this question. If you don't me asking, for what reason are you inquiring about the Canterburys in WV? You will find that this family resides in Charleston, WV - Marmet, WV - Beckley, WV. The family name of Weatherford is not biologically realted to the Canterbury family, however, there was an adoption from the Weatherfords to a Canterbury girl in WV which relates the connection between the two names. Also, the family name of Parsons is also related and directly connected to the Canterbury name through marriage. Research Walter & Lillian Weatherford in Marmet, WV. they are both deceased now and have been for years. Why do i reference these two people, they were the ones that adopted the Canterbury girl that i'm referencing in the above. I hope this has offered some help.

Who are the Canterburys in WV? They were and are "Coal Miners" and also worked at "Carbide". Marmet, WV has a "Carbide" plant right across the river from Marmet, WV.

Posted: 29 May 2012 2:25AM GMT
I also know the Canterbury history as well, I am a direct descendant of the Canterbury family. Concerning where, here are the locations...Ohio / West Virginia / Virginia and Texas. Concerning WV primairly; in the places of "Marmet" "Charleston" "Beckley". There are other areas in WV, townships that i have yet to mention here. The name "Canterbury" is English originated from England in the town of Kent which to say is about 90 Kilometers of (55 miles) away from London that runs right on the River Stour.

Here's a website to read a little history of Canterbury, England that supports all that i have written in the above concerning The origination of "Canterbury, England" and it's founding times to when it established a City Charter in having their own "Mayor & "Sherriff" which to say happened in 1448.

http://www.england.org.za/england-canterbury.php

Posted: 29 May 2012 2:33AM GMT
I'm not doubting your knowledge or expertise of the Canterburys, however, in West Virginia the spelling of this names shows and identifies this name being utilzed two diffrent ways.

1. Canterbury
2. Canterberry

Which spelling of this name are you regarding in having a vast amount of knowledge and history in sir?

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: Canterbury
My Great Great Grandfather on my Mothers side is
The Rev. James Canterbury, b:Apr 5,1861 Kanawha Co Wv / d:Sep 23 1947 Gordon Wv.
Mary E Canterbury Ferrell (my Great Grandmother)is his daughter, b: May 10, 1902 / d: Jan 6, 1964 (when I was 3 yrs old).
Her daughter, Betty Jo Ferrell Davis,my Grandmother, b: Jan 8, 1924 / d: Jun 20 2011
Her daughter is my Mom, Dianna J Davis

I was never told much about my Canterbury Family roots. As a result of my Grandmothers passing, while helping my Mom, I started discovering my Canterbury history.

I would love to share any info, pics, documents, etc. that I have in exchange for same. I have a copy of a tin type photo that I believe to be an early photo of Rev James Canterbury, his wife Dorthula Thompson Canterbury and 4 children. I believe it to be their first 4 children, but am not 100%. According to my research it appears they had a total of 6 children.
Please let me know. Thank you

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 5:27PM GMT
I have been trying to find a Jas or James Cnaterbury in our family tree as well . He maried a Hallie Stacy and had several children Two named Lenzie and David. Thank you any help . donmangus57 at Yahoo.com. Mangus , Toler, Stacy , Canterbury, Logan county W. Va .
I'd like to see that pic of James.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions