Search for content in message boards

FTM2/Mac on a Retina Display Mac

FTM2/Mac on a Retina Display Mac

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm wondering if anyone has used Family Tree Maker 2 for Mac on a Retina Display MacBook Pro?

From what I understand, graphics, text, and images can look kind of lousy (akin to using an iPhone app on an iPad) on the Retina Display unless the app has been updated.

Since we had an update to FTM2/Mac the other day, I'd be curious to know if RD graphics might have been snuck in, although honestly, it would surprise me.

I've got my RD MBP on order, but it will still be sometime next week before it's in hand. I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experience if you already have one.

Re: FTM2/Mac on a Retina Display Mac

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 7:29PM GMT
Hi, I just spoke with Ancestry & the answer is NO, the Mac 2 software has not been optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I sent a request in asking that this be done & to let me know when its available. I'm searching the web to see if ANYONE has downloaded the software onto their Retina laptop. They said it would work, kind of. I'm looking at upgrading my gene laptop & REALLY want the Retina Display.....I'm just unsure of how "bad" the software will look. Sigh....
Sincerely,
Brenda Carman Lybbert

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 7:40PM GMT
I've had the retina display MacBook Pro for about three weeks now. FTM/Mac isn't all that bad because evidently, they use OS X's standard text rendering, and so much of FTM is text-based anyway.

Some programs, such as Twitter's own app for the Mac look horrible because even though it's text-based, it evidently does not use OS X's standard text formatting.

Back to FTM, I notice that with photos, if it's a higher resolution photo to begin with, it's fine, but if not, it looks bad. The icons across the top definitely need to be reworked, but it's not the end of the world.

The retina display is probably one of those features where Apple treads in first and within a couple of years, everyone follows suit. We've had the same basic pixel density on computers for nearly two decades now. This is the first real improvement. I'm certain that Apple will have all its computers follow suit within six months to a year, and we'll see Windows computers doing the same thing within two to three years.

Here's the thing though--from what I understand, Apple has been telling developers to make their apps resolution-independent now for a couple of years, hinting at the fact that things are going to change. For any company to not have their app ready simply shows they haven't been keeping up or just didn't prioritize the impending change.

I will say that the retina display MBP is the BEST Mac I've ever used. Last night, I needed to use my wife's MacBook Air for a few minutes, and it was quite noticeable going back to a "standard" screen. I've been spoiled by the retina display very quickly.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:32PM GMT
Thank you Richard for your in depth reply. We are an Apple family....except for my genealogy computer (Sony Vaio). The Sony was purchased because FTM did not offer a Mac version then. I'm running FTM 2008 or 09. Anyway, looking at upgrading I know I want either the MacBook Pro 15 in., 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with these upgrades: 8 GB memory, 256 GB Solid State Drive, & the anti-glare screen (really like this feature) for about $2500. My son pointed out that the MacBook Pro Retina 2.3 GHz Retina Display comes with similar specs I was upgrading to & with the student discount it's about $2000 before tax & ship. Then comes the FTM software situation. I never have or will sync my tree with the Ancestry site, so the syncing problems are moot for me. All I want is to be able to interface with my Ancestry subscription. Are there other software problems with Mac 2 that you find troublesome? I'm planning a family history photo blog & will manage that from this laptop. We are currently scanning abt 2000 photos (tin types forward) & my hubby will work them up with his Photoschop Pro & Lightroom programs. I waited to get our 64 GB new iPads until there was retina displays (LOVE THEM). So, I'm seriously thinking about the MBP with Retina. I would appreciate your input as you have one & are running the Mac 2 program. Can you think of any major issues I'd face with the Mac 2 software on the MBP Retina? Thanks for your help! Sincerely, Brenda Carman Lybbert

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 3:04PM GMT
Brenda, outside the syncing problems--which may or may not be fixed but you aren't interested in anyway--there's not a huge difference.

I tried to flesh out the exact differences beyond syncing in this thread from a month or so ago:

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=162&...

The ability to combine events would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. When there were really significant sync problems, I used the Windows version for a while on my Mac via VMWare, but I just don't like using Windows, period, so I switched back to the Mac version very quickly.

The sad aspect is that like a lot of Mac "equivalent" apps, they're not always 100% equivalent. Just like Quicken, MS Office and others, FTM/Mac does not get the same attention from the developers as the Windows version does. But I suppose the more people who use it, the more love it might get.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 10:20PM GMT
Thank you for your insights. I'll be making a decision in the near future & hope my next laptop is the right one. Although, my choice is between good & good...its win win regardless. :)

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 1:41AM GMT
It works fine on mine but there are a few glitches. Like in the software when you click on a focus person and you wanted to add mother or father on the tab above the focus person you can't click it. And another is when you enter a place name that is already used you don't get the places is already and you have to keep writing the whole place name over and over again. Frustration when will mac 2 be optimized for retina?

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT
These two issues appear to be fixed in the latest update. I experienced them with the previous release and haven't since I updated yesterday.

----Ben Sayer
GenealogyTools.com

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 8:42PM GMT
are you sure? I just returned my macbook pro 15 and got an imac because of this?

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 9:55AM GMT
For info: I upgraded from an old White Macbook to a Macbook Pro Retina running OSX Mavericks and had an issue with the print / preview until I set the application to 'Open in Low Resolution'

Solution:
Select the application 'Family Tree Maker 2' within Finder
click 'cmd' & 'i' to bring up the info pane for the application
tick 'Open in Low Resolution'
close the info pane.

The Retina screen is 2x resolution of the standard and the issue was that the Paper size was being interpreted as half size, boxes and margins were twice defined size, text was expected size ..... strange.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic