Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Leonard Maxwell b. ca 1798 d. 1872

Descendants of Leonard Maxwell b. ca 1798 d. 1872

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maxwell, McNulty, Stitzel
I am hoping to find a male descendant of Leonard MAXWELL, with the surname of MAXWELL, to participate in the MAXWELL DNA study. We are very certain that we are related to Leonard, but we need someone who still has the name MAXWELL (as our ancestor changed his) so we can verify our DNA against that family. Leonard MAXWELL married twice, first to Sarah MCNULTY (half-Cherokee) and second to Ellen STITZEL. Leonard had 6 children with Sarah:

Armstead Blevins MAXWELL b. 1842
Gabrella MAXWELL died young
Marcus MAXWELL b. 1848 died childless
Benjamin Franklin MAXWELL b. 1852
Elsie MAXWELL died young
Charles Leonard MAXWELL b. 1856 (his only son was my grandfather, who changed his name, had only one son, my uncle who has submitted his DNA)

Leonard had two children with Ellen
William MAXWELL b. 1869
Rose MAXWELL b. after 1870

I don't know anything about William or Rose's whereabouts after Leonard died.

So I'm obviously looking for male descendants of Armstead or Benjamin or William.

I've been contacted in the past by descendants of Armstead and Benjamin, but I have lost touch with them. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks!

Re: Descendants of Leonard Maxwell b. ca 1798 d. 1872

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: Maxwell
My grandmother was the daughter of Joseph Antoine Maxwell, son of Armstead Blevins Maxwell, son of Leonard Maxwell. Leonards second family moved back to Mo. after Leonard died. I have info on several members. I have a story about the Maxwell's written by Leonard's granddaughter.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 8:52PM GMT
I don't think that you have the right parentage for Joseph Antoine Maxwell. My great aunt Ruth wrote up the history of her Maxwell family and she knew Armstead's family and she makes no mention of a Joseph. Armstead's children were Leonard, Charlesworth, Columbus, and Sarah. See my site at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d....

I will be happy to send you Ruth's story and help you find Joseph's parents. I would also be interested in seeing what you have on Leonard's other family that moved to Missouri, because I have not been able to find them.

My email is on my page, so contact me there. Look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 9:54PM GMT
If you look on page 17 paragraph 3, you will see all of Armsteads sons are listed and Joseph is one of them. There is an error though. Grandma and her sister only stayed a few months with Armstead. Their grandmother died several months after they were there.Armstead then put them in the
indian orphanage, my grandmother went back to Armstead at 16
but Leonard was so mean to her. She then ran off with my
grandfather and was married in Labette Co. KS in 1912. am working on the Maxwell side as we speak. I have several drawers in my file cabinet. of genealogy that I must put together as I am not getting any younger. Have finished my Fathers side and my grandfather. So now Maxwell. Most of them are buried in Robbins cemetery. I have not found where Joseph or Malissa is buried as yet, I am sure in Braggs OK some place. It has been several years since I have been there so need to go again. Norma

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 9:58PM GMT
That is page 17 of the Maxwell story By Ruth...njr

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 11:07PM GMT
I apologize, Norma, I obviously never noticed that list. I think I had focused on just the people I found in the census records. I look forward to seeing more of your research. If you would like a copy of Armstead's war record file, I have it. And I would love to know what you have found out about Leonard's second family that returned to Missouri. Take care and thanks for setting me straight.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 11:52PM GMT
When I finish which I predict by this years end or sooner. I will send it to you. An error in Ruth's Maxwell family . My grandmother went to stay Nancy & Armstead when their mother died several months later Nancy died. Grandma was about 10 years old Alcie was 3 tears younger. Armstead put them in the Indian Orphnage. At 16 she came out went back to Oakdale OK at Armstead's said her uncle was so mean to her, She ran off with my grandfather to Labette Co,KS and was married. I am like you I have not found Leonard's family in AR , never say never I think I will find them. Yes I would like Armstead's military records. Njr

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 2:47AM GMT
Okay, I'll try attaching the records to this post and see if it works. These are from his pension file. They had his name listed as Maxfield instead of Maxwell and there's a bunch of stuff just trying to clear up that mistake.

Alice
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 11:58AM GMT
The thing that amazed. Me was that Benjamin. Was a Dr. Charles was a teacher and Armstead could not read or write.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic