Search for content in message boards

Daniel EIVERS

Daniel EIVERS

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 11:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Eivers
I've been trying without any great success to trace more information about my 4th great-grandfather, Daniel EIVERS.

His birthplace is listed on the English census returns as follows:

1841 - Ireland
1851 - St Croix, West Indies
1861 - St Croix, West Indies
1871 - St Croix, West Indies
1881 - Liverpool, England

He married in Liverpool in 1825 and his age on the marriage certificate is given as 21, making his birth year 1804.

I have checked the Ancestry website St Croix database and have found several people named Eivers, but not Daniel.

Re: Daniel EIVERS

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:20AM GMT
From the dates you list, are you saying that he was living in England in each of these years? If so, he wouldn't be in the St Croix database; it begins in 1841. I would look in the St Croix Anglican church records around 1804 for a birth record.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 7:02PM GMT
Are those records online?

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 2:19AM GMT
Yes, they are on FamilySearch.org. Only the Christiansted records go back that far. I looked into them and find no reference to a Daniel Eivers at that time. I wonder, was he Anglican? I'd like to see the records you have and I may be able to suggest something else. Of course, you should look through the Church Records too.

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 7:11PM GMT
Many thanks for pointing me in the direction of the FamilySearch website. I've registered with the website, and I'll carry on searching there. In answer to your question, I do think Daniel Eivers was Anglican. Thanks again

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 12:07AM GMT
Keep in mind that the records are not indexed. You need to go page by page, but there aren't a lot for the time period you're interested in. I went through some and didn't find anything, but it's easy to miss them. Do you know anything more about the family on St Croix, or is it just what's in the census?

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 6:14AM GMT
All I have are the English census returns for 1841 - 1881, the marriage entry (for an Anglican Church), and the death entry in Liverpool, England. I know of no other Eivers in Liverpool or the surrounding area from 1800 - 1841 other than Daniel, his wife Mary & their 4 children, so this suggests he came to Liverpool alone rather than as part of a family migration. There are several Eivers in St Croix between 1800 - 1841 according to what I've traced so far, but I cannot make a link between them and Daniel based on the evidence I've seen this far. I'll keep looking through the FamilySearch records over the next week.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Eivers Martinborough
I've had no success tracing the birth details of Daniel Eivers, and I've been thinking about his wife also. He married a Mary Ann Martinborough in Liverpool, England in 1825. I cannot find her birth details anywhere. UK census records state she was born in Liverpool, or Ireland about 1803, but I've noticed how uncommon the surname is in England and Ireland, and how frequently it appears linked to St Croix or St Kitts (sometimes as Martinborough, other times as Mardenborough).

Is it just a coincidence or is there a link with the Virgin Islands for her also?

I'm really confused...

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 10:21PM GMT
Hello, Daniel is also my great x4 grandfather, through his son William Alfred Eivers.

I too know nothing of him before his marriage. I've never managed to find any online record of his birth in St Croix, or when he came to Liverpool. I've also never found any other people named Eivers in Liverpool who could be siblings/parents.

I found this topic tonight because I've made it my top priority to fill in these blanks. As far as I can see, there is no comprehensive record of immigration between 1804-1825 online, so I'm planning to go to the Record Office here in Liverpool to see what I can find there.

I know of nine children with Mary. In some records I recall Daniel is given the middle name of Dennis. Two of his sons were given middle names - my ancestor William Alfred and his eldest son Lawrence, who appears to have 'Dillon' as his. I thought these are worth noting as they might be Eivers family names.

As for Mary Ann Martinborough, I suspect she was born in Cork, Ireland, as stated on the 1871 census. It's too specific to be an error and I think if she had a West Indies connection it would've been mentioned on one census. I've not made an extensive search for other Martinboroughs in Liverpool yet.

Mike

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 11:08PM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2013 11:11PM GMT
I'm also descended from Daniel through William Alfred. I now know of 8 children of Daniel Eivers and Mary Martinborough, though: Lawrence Dillon, James, Mary Ann, William Alfred, George, John, Margaret and Michael. Who is the ninth child? In my earlier post, I mentioned 4 kids but I've done more work on the family since then.

I'm also waiting for the Liverpool Record office to re-open to try to find answers to a number of problems I'm grappling with in my tree, one of which is Daniel Eivers. I have found one mention of Daniel in a Liverpool newspaper - he witnessed a man drown when he was a dock-keeper apparently.

My line of descent goes from Daniel to William Alfred then to William's daughter Margaret who married Thomas Laird in 1887 - Thomas and Margaret are my great great grandparents. Send me a message if you want to compare trees or research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions