Search for content in message boards

Last names of former slaves

Last names of former slaves

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
When emancipation came in 1848, did the free slaves usually adopt the last name of their former masters?

Sincerely,
Paul

Re: Last names of former slaves

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 3:05PM GMT
Paul,
I have been recently been checking the list of slaves, and it seems most of them had last names. Children usually carried their father's name, even if he was the Plantation owner or overseer. The Danish were vere liberal.

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 4:44PM GMT
Thanks for the information. And now to do more research.

Sincerely,
Paul

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 5:19PM GMT
Who are you looking for?

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT
At the present time my number one thing that I am looking for is the death of Jorgen Frederik Sanberg who probably died in Christiansted, VI between the 1930 census and 1940. I have to look in my records to trace back the family of Keturah Elisa Krause, born 1882. I am doing this research for a relative who lives in Denmark. Thank you so much for your interest.

Sincerely,
Paul Londahl-Smidt
North Carolina

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT
At the present time my number one thing that I am looking for is the death of Jorgen Frederik Sanberg who probably died in Christiansted, VI between the 1930 census and 1940. I have to look in my records to trace back the family of Keturah Elisa Krause, born 1882. I am doing this research for a relative who lives in Denmark. Thank you so much for your interest.

Sincerely,
Paul Londahl-Smidt
North Carolina
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions