Search for content in message boards

CORDERY, ARCHER, MOSLEY, DAVIS, MATOY, SONICOOIE, ROGERS

CORDERY, ARCHER, MOSLEY, DAVIS, MATOY, SONICOOIE, ROGERS

Posted: 19 Sep 2003 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Nov 2003 12:31PM GMT
Surnames: ARCHER,MOSLEY,DAVIS,MATOY,SONICOOE,CORDERY
I am wanting to exchange information with anyone connected with these lines.
also:
STEELE, McLEMORE, STIDHAM

Re: CORDERY, ARCHER, MOSLEY, DAVIS, MATOY, SONICOOIE, ROGERS

Posted: 25 Oct 2003 4:55AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers/Starnes/Glenns
Carolyn,
I have some info on Rogers. But you may already know it, if you have visited Ancestry.com/LDS-FamilySearch.Internet/& etc/the Dawes & Roll cards & etc.
I have been searching my husbands lines for about a month now. I keep coming up with dead ends. (I am not able to get out to go to libraries & etc-but my memory is still intact). It took me me three months to do my own lines.
I am afraid that we my never know our ancestors.
My husbands lines on Cherokee lay with a John Rogers (family says he was full blooded Cherokee--but my researching finds him to be a Halfbreed), that married a Starnes (full blooded Choctaw--first names unknown); they had two daughters: A Margaret (Peggy) Rogers and a Abigail Rogers b: Abt 1770 in SC or Miss; She married a John Glenn he was b: Abt 1765 probably SC (an Irishman) They married Abt 1789. She died Abt 1842 in what is now called Boone Co, Ark.They moved when the Indian Nations were moved to OK; they thought they were in Indian Territory-the place they settled at; Later they Government changed the boundries and they were no longer in what they thought to be Indian Territory. John and Abigail had nine children. John died Abt 1832 in Greenock, Ark.They went to court many times to claim their rights, they were refused and denied by the courts, and the Indians called them White Intruders. I want to learn more about the history of Rogers and Starnes and etc. But this history I am afraid is lost.This is my husbands lines.
If you have any info that I don't have, please keep me in mind for names of Rogers/Starnes/Glenns.
Patsy

Posted: 25 Oct 2003 11:17AM GMT
Surnames: ARCHER, DAVIS, MOSLEY, MATOY, CORDERY, SONICOOIE, ROGERS
Hi Patsy,
I wish that I could help you but I don't have any of your names in my file.
My ROGERS names are all connected with the Descendancy of Thomas CORDERY of Georgia, a white man who married a full blood Cherokee named Sonicooie.

I will keep these names in mind during my research.
Best Wishes and Good luck on your search.

Posted: 26 Oct 2003 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2004 6:07AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers/Starnes/Glenns/
Thank you. And good luck with your research. I have come to realize that the people that I am searching for goes back before the Trail of Tears, or during that time, and before, and surely there are some that would remember, from handed down to one generation to the other. I am not trying to get any freebees, I just want to know my ancestors. I appreciate any info, and like wise will keep my eye on your Rogers as I search for mine.

Bobbie Behling (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2003 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Cordery, Sonicooie, Collins
Thomas Cordery married Soniovia Sonicooie ( susannah) in 1785 in Georgia by tribal custom Nancy Angeline Cordery one of their 9 children Married Parker Collins in 1808 my gggreat grandfather. I don't have alot of history and I've found alot of info that hasn't made sense to me. I'm still researching. Soniovia's father is Blue Sonicooie. Does this help and maybe you can enlighten me?

Posted: 7 Nov 2003 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers/Starnes/Glenn/
Sorry, but I don't have any info on Sonicooie. I was hoping that you would have some info on Rogers. Good
luck in your researching. Have you tried the Dawes and Roll Cards that the Census used for the Indians? You might try there. It has been awhile since I have tried.

Posted: 8 Nov 2003 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: CORDERY,ARCHER,MOSLEY,DAVIS,MATOY,SONICOOIE,ROGERS.
The Cherokee were a matriachal society and the tribal law states the children carried the mother's name, therefore Blue SONICOOIE could not have been Soniovie's father. More than likely she was named for the Clan mother.
Susannah was her Christian name.
Blue may have been a brother.
Since her children carried the name CORDERY, she and Thomas must have been married in a civil ceremony also; as did their daughter Sarah Cordery when she married John Rogers.
They were married by both traditions.
Thomas was a hunter and trader by profession and at sometime between 1784 and 1785 lodged at a Cherokee town on the Etowah River. there he met and married Soniovie (Susannah) Sonicooie a full blood from the Blind Savannah Clan, (Wild Potato) who already had at least one daughter, Peggy Sonicooie, who married Alexander Anderson .

Nancy Angeline (Ann) Cordery was b.circa 1790, was married about 1808 to Parker Collins, a white man, possibly the son of Joseph and Ann Collins. She remarried in 1835 to Martin Brannon, two years after Collins' death.
For valuable information on Parker Collins, see "Unhallowed Intrusion" by Don L. Shadburn. This is the source of my information.

For descendants I will have to e-mail you.
Let me know if you are interested.

Carolyn

Posted: 8 Nov 2003 1:53PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers/Starnes/Glenn/
Yes, Carolyn, I am interested. Please e-mail me at
bookissturglenn@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
Patsy

Christy Townsend (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2003 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: Prince, Cox, Rogers, Hawk, Cooper, Henderson, Stancil. Barnes, Tyner, Hydrick, Ward
Carolyn, could you please see if any of these names are in the book? The reason is my gggrandmother was also a Susannah of the Blind Savannah people. Her husband was from NC and TN, but they first appear on 1830 census in Monroe County, GA, and Heard Co., GA 1840, and I believe that area is where she is from since my family continued to stay around Mama for many years. (I'm raising a granddaughter.) Many of the surnamed families came from NC, TN and GA to AR between 1830 and 1850. Samuel Prince was convicted of stabbing a man in nearby Jones Co., about 1824, when he would be between 18 and 22. Here's who I'm looking for:
Samuel A. Prince, b 1806 NC, m Susanna of Blind Savannah People before 1830. Had sons William, John, James, Samuel, daughters Amanda, Mary, Elizabeth before moving to AR. ca 1848. Stancil/Stancel/Stansel/Stansell, Barnes, Henderson,Tyner, Cooper, Cox, Hawk, Rogers, and Hydrick families, maybe others, seemed to travel with them and intermarried, so I believe they may be extended family. When they landed in St. Francis, Poinsett and later Cross Counties, AR, there were also Wards, and other Cherokee families very close to them so there may be some connection you or someone else has that I have not yet found. Thank you for your time.

Bobbie Behling (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2003 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins, Edlin, Powell
I am very interested in the descendants. Thank you so much for this information. Especially the Collins. My grandfather is George Dewey Collins he was married to Virginia (2nd wife) and I don't even know her maiden name she was my grandmother. It has really enlightened me. My husband and I are both researching our heritage. I have also been trying to find family members of my husbands Greatgrandmother Hattie Buelah Hawkins also of Cherokee descent she married David Dee Edlin on Feb. 10, 1902 Hattie was born March 9th 1882. Thank you again so much. My e-mail address is Juspoyld@juno.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions