Search for content in message boards

Skibereen- Donovans, OBriens, Sweeneys, Barretts, Brickleys Dunham Township

Skibereen- Donovans, OBriens, Sweeneys, Barretts, Brickleys Dunham Township

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 3:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Donovans, OBriens, Brickleys, Sweeneys, Barretts,
It certainly won't hurt to ask. A very small farm community known as the Island in Harvard Illinois (60 miles nw of chicago) had nearly all settlers from Skibereen. They arrived in the 1840s and farmed for many years with moany descendants still around. I have had trouble getting a connection on any of these families beyond grave markers exclaiming County Cork Connections. Does anyone have info. on any relatives with last names: OBrien, Donovans, Sweeneys, Barretts, or Brickleys that settled in Harvard or Dunham Towhship Illinois.... Thanks for any comments! Michael O'Brien, McHenry County, Illinois

Re: Skibereen- Donovans, OBriens, Sweeneys, Barretts, Brickleys Dunham Township

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: O'Brien, Donovan
Michael - I don't know about immigrants to Illinois, but I have O'Brien and Donovan information from the Skibbereen area. Please contact me offline, barbwalsh49@gmail.com, and I can send this information to you.

Barbara in St. Louis, Missouri

tithe applotments

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 11:08PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2013 12:47AM GMT
Don't know anything about people who settled in the US, but I have been viewing tithe applotment films of the Skibbereen area and have transcribed two parishes. Unfortunately I don't have indexes built but you are welcome to browse the transcriptions. I've seen all these names: Donovan, Brien, Brickley, Sweeney, and Barrett.

http://www.corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/titheapplot/

Re: tithe applotments

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 7:00PM GMT
Is the film one from the FHL? If so what is the film # please?

Regards, Kay

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 2:34AM GMT
Hey Michael!

I am an O'Brien - my GGrandfather, Patrick "Rocky Mountain" O'Brien, was born in Caheragh Parish, just north of Skibbereen, in 1851. HIs parents were John and Ellen (Brophy), buried in Old Ardfield Cemetary, Cork. There are still O'Brien relatives in Southwest Cork, and I have been in touch with Patrick's brother John's GGrandson, Eugene (Gene) living in Skibbereen. I am sure we are speaking of the same family. John, Patrick's father, is listed on the gravestone of being from Dromore (just outside Cageragh) and Ballyva, near Ardfield. I have pictures of the gravestone. Patrick also wrote a book about his life in Ireland and coming to the US in 1868 - Birth and Adoption. My grandmother, Kathleen (1889-1974), was one of Patrick's daughters. I found my grandma's brother's granddaughter (Erin O'Brien Thayer) on ancestry.com, and we are planning a trip to Ireland in late spring, 2011.

Email me - I think I can help you.

Matt

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: O'Brien
I have a William O'Brien who married into our Walsh family of Skeagh Skibbereen in the 1870s. William was from Kilkilleen, a few miles southwest of Skibb. Also, have many Donovans who married into the family (all from Skibb area).
You can contact me at barbwalsh49@gmail.com if you are interested in exploring this further.

Barbara in St. Louis, Missouri USA

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 1:10AM GMT
it is funny you mention the farm land "Island"... my Donovans were from Dromig Skibbereen. They were called Donovan - Island - Smokes! please email me wlfndl@aol.com

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 1:11AM GMT
Hello Michael, I am also researching the same lines in Dunham Township. I am not sure if we have corresponded before. My line is John Donovan and his wife Hanarah "Hannah" Sweeney Donovan. They settled in McHenry County in 1852. Two of their daughters married O'Brien's. I am trying to determine if they are related to any of the other Donovan's or Sweeney's in McHenry County. I have lots of info on the O'Brien's. I would love to share info. Please contact me at odonovan62@hotmail.com

Regards,
Penny

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 2:08AM GMT
Hello, I would like to share info on these lines from Dunham,McHenry County, IL. Please contact me @ odonovan62@hotmail.com

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 2:11AM GMT
Do you have a John Donovan in your line born between 1810-1815 in Skibereen?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions