Search for content in message boards

Thomas Frame Forsythe

Thomas Frame Forsythe

Posted: 25 Feb 2004 1:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jun 2005 11:41PM GMT
Does anyone have any information on this man.. He was born sometime around 1823-1824 at Old Washington. He married an Agnes (Nancy) Carrick Duff.

Re: Thomas Frame Forsythe

TOM BAY (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2004 12:57AM GMT
Have you looked around Harrison County, OH? Or Belmont County, OH? This seems to be my wife's family.

I've not followed the Duffs but I think the Carricks arrived in Harrison County in the early 1800's with the Kerrs from what was then Adams County, PA (formerly part of York County).

I have a James Kerr (1751-1825) married Nancy (Agnes) Carrick (1751-1836). Both died in Harrison County, Short Creek Twp.

Their son James married Catharine Duff on June 29 1809 in Belmont Cunty, OH. This James - 1787-1846 was born in Admas County, PA and died in Logan County, OH. Catharine died in 1827 in Harrison.

They had son John Carrick Kerr. I recall other information about Duff-Carrick-Kerr connections, but don't have it in my files.

Check Ohio - Harrison and Belmont counties; and PA, York and Adams Counties. Think you'll find some good stuff.

Incidentally, I have a Catharine Frame married to Samuel Finley in Gurensey (Spencer Twp.). Catharine came from Fayette County, PA. as did Sam.

Tom Bay, Columbus, OH

TOM BAY (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2004 9:48PM GMT
Forgot in my previous response - while I was looking for Kerrs in Ohio (one of whom married Catharine Duff) I was directed to the World Connect Project where I found among other things a tree which includes your Thomas Frame Forsythe and Agnes Carrick "Nancy" Duff - this by a Forsythe researcher. If you can't locate this, please contact me directly. Tom Bay, Columbus, OH

tbay@columbus.rr.com

Craig Cowden (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2004 8:42PM GMT
I have very little on the Forsythes--hardly any. But I do have a Robert Forsythe (1794 - 1873) who married Sarah Frame as his second wife on 29 aug 1820. He was born in Washington Co., PA, and died in Cambridge, OH. Could these be the parents of the man you're seeking?

Posted: 18 Jul 2004 3:11PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jun 2005 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy
Yes, I beleive that it is. I don't have that strong of a connection the Forsythe line. The connection comes from two greatgreat uncles that married sisters. John Kennedy married Jane Forsythe, and William Kennedy married her sister Martha.

Craig Cowden (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2004 5:40PM GMT
What's your source on that? I suppose Census data might reveal it, though early 19th century returns don't usually list children's names.

Posted: 15 Jan 2005 5:11PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2006 1:30PM GMT
Good day:
reference Frame, to Finley, who, where was Samuel Parents fr, and any other data, You might share, I have the Finley's fr Pa, came with Briggs/Brown/McCune to Muskingum Co, early.
Surnames thry this family and more.

Regards:
The Sarge

TOM BAY (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2005 6:23PM GMT
My Samuel Finley arrived in Richland Twp, Guernsey County, OH around 1820 or so. He was son of Ebeneezer Finley of Fayette County, PA and grandson of Rev. James B. Finley of Rostraver Twp., Westmoreland County, PA. Rev. Finley from Cecil County, MD (born in Ireland).

Catharine Frame, his wife, d/o of John Frame, also of Fayette Couty, PA. I don't have anything extensive on this line of Frames, however. Catharine's family moved to the Richland Twp area about 1811.

Sam and Catharine later moved to the Cumberland, OH area (Spencer Twp) in Guernsey County.

Posted: 16 Jan 2005 5:40AM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2006 1:30PM GMT
Surnames: Briggs, Finley, Caton, Hurley, Sherman, Shilling, Hoop, Houk, Baker
Tom:
I have Finley's that came fr Pa, James FINLEY, marr Jane/Jean BRIGGS in Lancaster Co, Pa, Children
Esther, marr Theo CATON
Jane, marr Joel HURLEY
John. died Young age.
Margaret, marr Eli Sherman
Nancy Agnes, marr a Amos SHILLING abt 1816
Mary b. 1783 marr a George HOOP/HOUK, abt 1826
Robert, b 1790 marr Catherine BAKER.
Sarah, marr Andrew BRIGGS her cousin, for children I have for them.
(James FINLEY d. 1806 in Duncan Falls, Ohio as did Jane)

Briggs were in Lancaster, because they came with the BROWN Family, so if You have any of these Finley's I'd appreciate any info You might be willinf to Share.
Also a Family of Frame's are located here in Cambridge, Guernsey Co, Oh any Relation to them??

Regards:
The Sarge
""Honor and Courage""

Ebenezer Finley

Posted: 16 Jan 2005 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Finley, Lyons, Thomas
1 Ebenezer Finley
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Birth: 31 Jul 1813, Fayette county, Pennsylvania1
Death: 4 Dec 1890, Richland township, Guernsey county, Ohio1
Burial: Richland township, Guernsey county, Ohio, Senecaville cemetery

Ebenezer Findly is found in the 1860 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. He is age 47, a farmer born in Pennsylvania. He has $7200 in real estate and $1700 in personal property.
Ebenezer Finley is found in the 1870 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. He is age 56, a farmer born in Pennsylvania. He is worth $13,600 in real estate and $5050 in personal property.
Ebenezer is found in the 1880 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. He is age 66 and born in Pennsylvania as were his parents. He is a farmer. He has a farm laborer, Alex. Todd age 17 and born in Ohio.

Biography: The Reverend James Finley was the first Presbyterian minister to cross the Allegheny mountains into the western part of Pennsylvania. There he ministered to the spiritual needs of the early settlers for many years. One of his sons, Ebenezer, born about 1754, lived in Fayette county, Pennsylvania. The latter, who was a pioneer in a locality were indian atrocities were common, had many adventures with them and also suffered many other vicissitudes of frontier life. On one occasion, he and a companion were attacked by three Indians. One of the redmen pursued Mr. Finley with a tomahawk around a big tree, after his unfortunate comrade had already fallen into the hands of the other two Indians. The latter, noticing that his captors’ attention was diverted, seized a gun and shot the pursuing Indian, then wrenched the knife from the grasp of one of the other Indians and stabbed him to death. He then, with the assisteance of Mr. Finley, made short work of the remaining Indians. Ebenezer Finley was married four times andd had an exceedingly large family, even for those days. He owned an extensive farm and was an honored citizen of the community where he lived. James, son of Ebenezer, and father of Ebenezer of Guernsey county, was born in 1784 and died in August, 1861. In 1805, he married Elizabeth Fulton, eldest child of John and Rachel Fulton, of Pennsylvania. After their marriage the young couple settled on a part of Mr. Finley’s father’s farm, living there for seven years. In 1814, they went to Ohio, and from that time until his death, he was a resident of Richland township. HIs nine children were, John F. Eliza (Mrs. John Atwell), Jane (Mrs. Daniel Riggs), Rachael (Mrs. Wesley Dennison), William, James, Mary (Mrs. Robet McCune), Rebecca (Mrs. John Sawyer) and Ebenezer. Ebenezer Finley was born 31 July 1813 in Pennsylvania and came to Ohio with his parents when quite young. His father had entered four hundred and eighty acres or more of land in Guernsey county and at his death had three hundred and twenty acres left after giving his sons, William, John and Ebenezer a quarter-section each. The portion that came to the latter was the original homestead, the same occupied by Ebenezer’s son, John Ray in 1895. The remainder of Ebenezer Finley’s life was passed on the farm where he located just after his marriage and in addition to agricultural pursuits he made large sums from dealing in livestock. He often bought large herds, which he drove to Pittsburg, Philadelphia and Buffalo markets. At one time he owned five hundred and forty acres in Iowa and one thousand acres in Kansas. In early life he was a Whig but later became a Republican. For years he held the office of Township Trustee and was an Infirmary Director for nine years. A Deacon in the Presbyterian church, he was well known for his uprightness and genial disposition. He was called to his final rest 4 December 1890 and his wife who was a most worthy and lovable woman died in less than two years afterward, 27 May 1892. They were the parents of four children, John R. born 26 February 1839, Levi L. born 16 August 1842, Mary E. (Mrs. M. Millhone) born 7 September 1850 and died 11 April 1877 and Margaret (Mrs. John Thomas of Iowa) born 9 May 1854. 2
Page 545
Ebenezer Finley, a son of James Finley, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, in 1784, and his father was one of the first settlers of that county. His grandfather, Reverend James Finley, was the first Presbyterian minister that crossed the mountains west. James remained with his father until 1805, when he married Elizabeth Fulton, she being the eldest child of John and Rachael Fulton, of Pennsylvania. After their marriage they settled on part of his father’s farm and remained there for seven years. In 1814 he came to Ohio and settled in Richland township, Guernsey county, where he remained until his death. His family consisted of nine children, three of whom are still living - John F., deceased; Elizabeth, wife of John Atwell, deceased; Jane, wife of Daniel Riggs, deceased; Rachel, wife of Wesley Dennison, deceased; William, deceased; James; Mary, wife of Robert McCune, deceased; Rebeccas wife of John Sawyer. Ebenezer Finley was born in Pennsylvania in 1813 and came to Ohio with his parents when quite young. He married Elizabeth Lyons, who was born in 1818 in this county. They live now on the farm that they settled on when first married. They had a family of four children - John R., Levi L., Mary E. (deceased), Margaret A., (wife of John Thomas) in Iowa. Mr. Finley has held the offices of trustee and infirmary director.3

Spouse: Elizabeth Lyons
Birth: 20 Dec 1818, Guernsey county, Ohio1
Death: 27 May 1892, Richland township, Guernsey county, Ohio2

Elizabeth Findly is found in the 1860 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. She is age 42 and born in Ohio. At home are John R. age 21, a farm laborer, Levi S. age 17, Mary E. age 10 and Margaret age 6, all born in Ohio.
Elizabeth Finley is found in the 1870 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. She is age 52 and born in Ohio. Margaret is the only child left at home. John R. and his family live quite close.
Eizabeth L. Findley is found in the 1880 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. She is age 62 and born in Ohio, her parents in Virginia.
From the bible of her husband’s grandfather, Ebenezer Finley, son of James of Ebenezer of Rev. James Finley:
Ebenezer Finley and Elizabeth Lyons were married by Rev. W.G. Keil Oct 12, 1837.
Their children:
1. John R. Finley and Hester A. Thompson were married by Rev. Wm Ferguson Feby 21, 1861
2. Mary E. Finley & Mansel Millhone were married by Rev. J.C. Courtright Jany 6, 1870
3. Levi L. Finley and [blank line] were married Jany 13, 1872
4. Margaret Angeline Finley & John G. Thomas were married by Evans Thompson (a Wesleyan Methodist Preacher & full cousin of Ebenezer Finley) Dec 4, 18731

Their children:
1. John Ray Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 Feby 26, 1839
2. Levi Lyons Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 Aug 16, 1842
3. Mary Emeline Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 Sept 7, 1850
4. Margaret Angeline Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 May 9, 1854

The above record was written by Rev Evans Thompson & is practically identical with father's handwriting.1

Mary E. Millhone died at her home in Senecaville Ohio Apr 11, 1877
Ebenezer Finley died Dec 4, 1890 F

Marr: 12 Oct 1837, Guernsey county, Ohio1

They were married by Reverend W.G. Keil.1

Children: Margaret Angeline (1854-1917)

1.1 Margaret Angeline Finley
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Birth: 9 May 1854, Guernsey county, Ohio
Death: 14 Dec 1917, Guthrie Center, Guthrie county, Iowa
Burial: Guthrie Center, Guthrie county, Iowa, Union cemetery

Margaret Findly is found in the 1860 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. She is age 6 and born in Ohio.
Margaret Finley is found in the 1870 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. She is age 6 and born in Ohio.
M.A. Thomas is found in the 1880 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. She is age 25, keeping house, with an entry after that, looks like flacks. She was born in Ohio as was her mother, her father was born in Pennsylvania.
Margaret A. Thomas is found in the 1900 Iowa census, Guthie county, Seeley township. She is age 46 and has been married for 26 years and had 4 children, all living.
Guthrian, 13 November 1904
Professor Finley of Panora received word Monday that his brother, W.T. Finley had died in Senecaville, Ohio. He is a nephew of Mr. J.G. Thomas, of Seeley township.
Guthrian, 11 March 1909
Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Thomas received word Friday that her niece Mary Finley of Senacaville, Ohio had died there. The deceased was a sister of E.B. Finley, former Superintendent of the Guthrie County High School, now a banker in Texas.
Margaret A. Thomas is found in the 1910 Iowa census, Guthrie county, Seeley township. She is age 56 and has been married for 36 years. She had 4 children, all living. She was born in Ohio as was her mother, her father was born in Pennsylvania.
Buried in tier 2, crypt 6 of the mausoleum in Union Cemetary.

Spouse: John Griffith Thomas
Birth: 20 Dec 1849, Guernsey county, Ohio
Death: 31 Jan 1930, Guthrie Center, Guthrie county, Iowa
Father: Enoch John Thomas (1822-1900)
Mother: Mary Ann Griffith (1825-1916)

John is found in the 1860 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. He is age 10 and born in Ohio.
John G. Thomas is found in the 1870 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. He is age 20, born in Ohio and working on his father’s farm.
J.G. Thomas is found in the 1880 Ohio census, Guernsey county, Richland township. He is age 29, a druggist. He was born in Ohio as were his parents.
From the Umpire Vedette, Panora, Iowa, 4 December 1890
John Thomas and family are making a visit to Ohio, John's native state.
From the Guthrian, Guthrie Center, Iowa, 22 February 1894
J.G. Thomas is home from his visit with his parents in southeastern Ohio, Guernsey county.
John G. Thomas is found in the 1900 Iowa census, Guthie county, Seeley township. He is age 50 and a farmer born in Ohio. He has been married for 26 years to Margaret.
John G. Thomas is found in the 1910 Iowa census, Guthrie county, Seeley township. He is age 60, married for 36 years. He was born in Ohio as were his parents. He is a farmer on a general farm. His married sons Ray and Carl and their families are at home and Cora is a boarder a farm away.
Guthrian, 19 March 1914
Mr. and Mrs. John Thomas left Monday for Senecaville, Ohio, being called there by the failing health of Mr. Thomas' mother.
John G. is found in the 1920 Iowa census, Guthrie county, Guthrie center. He is age 70 and born in Ohio as were his parents. His occupation is unreadable.
John was born in Ohio and was first a teacher, then a station agent for the B&O Railroad in Ohio. He was in the drug business after that. John came to Seeley Township, section 35 in November of 1881, one year after the railroad came to Guthrie Center. He came with his wife and two sons. The Iowa papers twice mention trips home to visit his family in Guernsey County in Ohio. The original purchase fo 80 acres was from the Rock Island Ry. for $640. The railroad had cancelled plans to build a live west from Guthrie Center. Everything they owned had been shipped from Senacaville, Ohio, including all household goods and chickens, a pair of peacocks, hives of bees and cattle and hogs. There was great confusion on the trip when the bees got out and stung the cattle. After their arrival, John purchased 120 additional acres from the Rock Island Ry for $1235. This property was located 3 miles west of Guthrie Center on the Wichata Road. The family lived temporarily on the Norris brothers farm, a half mile south. During the next twenty years, a new home was built and two additional children were born. A lawsuit was filed against John claiming that the land really belonged to developers, he was given clear title to the land. At the time of his death, he owned 640 acres. John G. had served on the Guthrie County Board of Supervisors and retired in 1922. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and very active. Buried in the Union Cemetary in Valley Township of Guthrie Center, Guthrie County, Iowa in the mausoleum, tier 2, crypt 7.
At residence of John Griffeth Thomas. No. 803 State St, Guthrie Centre, Guthrie Co., Iowa, Oct 20, 1922 4:17 PM.
I arrived here at 3:33 PM & found the house closed & a grandson or two of Mr. Thomas, viz: John Walter Thomas went across to the school house for his Aunt Cora Thomas who teaches the primary grade & she appeared at 3:55 PM & has gone upstairs & brought down the bible of her grandfather, Ebenezer Finley, son of James of Ebenezer of Rev. James Finley from which I copy:

Ebenezer Finley and Elizabeth Lyons were married by Rev. W.G. Keil Oct 12, 1837.
Their children:
1. John R. Finley and Hester A. Thompson were married by Rev. Wm Ferguson Feby 21, 1861
2. Mary E. Finley & Mansel Millhone were married by Rev. J.C. Courtright Jany 6, 1870
3. Levi L. Finley and [blank line] were married Jany 13, 1872
4. Margaret Angeline Finley & John G. Thomas were married by Evans Thompson (a Wesleyan Methodist Preacher & full cousin of Ebenezer Finley) Dec 4, 1873
Births
Ebenezer Finley was born in Fayette Go Penn July 31, 1813
Elizabeth Lyons was born in Guernsey Co 0 Dec 20, 1818

V8 Page 248

Their children:
1. John Ray Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 Feby 26, 1839
2. Levi Lyons Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 Aug 16, 1842
3. Mary Emeline Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 Sept 7, 1850
4. Margaret Angeline Finley born in Guernsey Co 0 May 9, 1854

The above record was written by Rev Evans Thompson & is practically identical with father's handwriting.

Mary E. Millhone died at her home in Senecaville Ohio Apr 11, 1877
Ebenezer Finley died Dec 4, 1890 F

From the bible of John G. Thomas & his wife John Griffett Thomas born Oct 24, 1849
Margaret Angeline Thomas born May 9, 1854
Their children:
1. Horace Dwight Thomas born Sept 13, 1874
2. Carl Waldo Thomas born Jany 31, 1879
3. Ray Finley Thomas born July 29, 1885
4. Cora Ethel Thomas born Aug 1, 1887

Margaret Angeline Thomas died in this house Dec 14, 1917 & is buried in the mausoleum in the Union cem east of town.

Miss Cora & her father both say those two are the only old bibles they have & he says his wife never got the old James Finley bible. They are giving me the following about the family.

V8 Page 249

Horace Dwight Thomas married: 1st Josephine Metz June 2, 1896 & had two children:
1. Paul Foster Thomas born Feby 4, 1898 & he married Dorothy Daughtery an Nov 1, 1919. She was born Feby 9, 1899 & have one child
A. Dorothy Jane born July 4, 1920
2. Pauline Margaret Thomas, born Feby 14, 1900 & she married Lyle Hill. They have separated
2nd Pearl Viegren, a widow whose maiden name was Erwin. They have no issue. She was born May 10, 1874. Was in the oil business in Wyoming

2. Carl Waldo Thomas & Nellie Washburn were married Sept 4, 1901. She was born may 17, 1879. Their children:
1. Ruth Thomas born Aug 7, 1904
2. Rex Thomas born May 10, 1907 He lives on Mr T's farm 2 miles NW of Guthrie Centre Iowa
3. John Sheldon Thomas born July 28, 1916

3. Ray Finley Thomas & Grace Beatty were married Feby 3, 1909. She was born July 30, 1886. Their children:
Helen Thomas born Dec 1, 1909
Mary Thomas born May 15, 1912
John Walker Thomas born Aug 11, 1913

Cora Ethel Thomas my associate informant with her father is unmarried.

Marr: 4 Dec 1873, Senecaville, Guernsey county, Ohio

They were married by Evans Thompson, a Wesleyan Methodist Preacher and a full cousin of Ebenezer.

Children: Horace Dwight (1874-1936)
Carl Waldo (1879-1935)
Ray Finley (1885-1952)
Cora Ethel (1887-1977)

Sources

1. Josiah V. Thompson, Journals, David McCutchan, Monroeville, Pennsylvania.
2. Portrait and Biographical Album of Guernsey county, Ohio, C.O. Owen & Co. Chicago 1895.
3. T.F. Williams, The Household Guide and Instructor with Biographies History of Guernsey County, Ohio, 1882.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic