Search for content in message boards

Future applicants must provide correct service

Future applicants must provide correct service

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 12:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
"Ancestor Comments:
1) Appointed as judge 5 Sept 1774"

I am looking at Nathaniel Munger as another patriot for my line, but he was disqualified. Is appointment as a judge not considered sufficient to qualify as a patriot? Or does this mean that insufficient proof was provided to establish him as a judge in 1774.....
thank you,
Patricia

Re: Future applicants must provide correct service

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 10:23PM GMT
In 1774 the American Revolution had not yet begun and your ancestor's service as a judge at that time would have been in service to the British Crown and the Colony where he was appointed...not to the Patriot cause.

Joan

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:29AM GMT
WIKI:The Massachusetts Government Act (14 Geo. 3 c. 45) was passed by the Parliament of Great Britain, receiving the royal assent on 20 May 1774. The act effectively abrogated the existing colonial charter of the Province of Massachusetts Bay, and gave its royally-appointed governor wide-ranging powers. The Act is one of the Intolerable Acts (also known as Repressive Acts and Coercive Acts), designed to suppress dissent and restore order in Massachusetts...in the wake of the Boston Tea Party;When Governor Thomas Gage invoked the act in October 1774 to dissolve the provincial assembly, its Patriot leaders responded by creating the Massachusetts Provincial Congress, which acted as the province's (and later the independent state's) de facto government until the 1780 adoption of the Massachusetts State Constitution.

So, looks like patriot government was established in Massachusetts in Oct 1774; I guess I need to investigate the appointment of Nathaniel Munger much further.....

Thank you!
Patricia

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:50AM GMT
I'd give up on that one. He doesn't fall under the time period for DAR eligibility. See:
http://www.dar.org/natsociety/content.cfm?ID=145&hd=n&am...

That said, when you have one ancestor living in the Colonies at the time of the Revolution you are sure to have more than one and I'm sure you will uncover other avenues that will be more in line with the DAR requirements for membership.

Best of luck in your search!

Joan

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 2:51PM GMT
Thank you once again, that link is exactly what I needed! I am a DAR member, with multiple patriots, but I scrounged around at the DAR web site and couldnt find that outline. I am in the process of hunting through the "possibles" in our tree.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 2:58PM GMT
Listed below, apparently would be one of the few exceptions to that date spread, excerpt from the DAR page previously linked in this thread:

"The National Society accepts service, with SOME EXCEPTIONS, for the period between 19 April 1775 (Battle of Lexington) and 26 November 1783 (withdrawal of British Troops from New York) as follows:
Membership in committees made necessary by the War, including service on committees which furthered the cause of the Colonies from APRIL 1774, such as Committees of Correspondence, Inspection, and Safety, committees to care for soldier's families, etc."

NOT a judge, apparently....I appreciate the info!

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 3:46PM GMT
I believe that statement about some exceptions refers to the words preceding it meaning there may be exceptions in accepting the service---but not the dates. To give an example...I had an ancestor who DID serve during the Revolution but was fined for failing to show up for duty after the time he served. At one time his service was accepted and people joined based upon that service but when DAR tightened up their requirements I would have had to have proved he served faithfully again after the date he was fined...which I was unable to do. I have never in all the years I served my chapter as Registrar seen them accept an application for service outside the dates of the Revolution period.

Joan

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 8:22PM GMT
I am so pleased you monitor this board, you have been of great help! Your chapter is lucky to have your service.

Thanks again,
Patricia

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 2:25AM GMT
Patricia-

I have asked just to be SURE I was correct in a Facebook group for DAR members and I was told that there ARE a few exceptions to the Bunker Hill 1775 date --- and they involve committees that directly aid the Patriot cause but that appointed Judges would have to meet the normal start date to quality. The specific quote is:

Patriotic Service, which includes:

Members of the Continental Congress, State Conventions, and Assemblies

Membership in committees made necessary by the War, including service on committees which furthered the cause of the Colonies from April 1774, such as Committees of Correspondence, Inspection, and Safety, committees to care for soldier's families, etc.

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions