Search for content in message boards

New York City Cemetery Guide

New York City Cemetery Guide

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 8:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2013 1:03PM GMT
Wanted to let everyone know,
I have the book, "The Graveyard Shift: A Family Historian's Guide to New York City Cemeteries", by Carolee Inskeep.
It gives contact info and historical info on NY City cemeteries, interment removals, years of operation, etc.
***This is info on the cemeteries, not specific burials***
If anyone needs a lookup, let me know.
Lisa
EDIT: Yes, thank you administrator. I DO NOT have an index or listing for specific burials in NYC. What I have is a book that lists the Cemeteries, history of them, contact info. You will notice I am not replying to inquiries about specific burials, however if you have a cemetery name I can look it up. I cannot research specific burials any better than you could do yourself. Sorry, I would try if I had that kind of time on my hands! I do have another book:
"INDEX to marriages and deaths in the New York Herald, Vol. 1; 1835 - 1855". I can do look-ups there, but remember it only covers 1835-1855!!!
Thanks,
Lisa

Re: New York City Cemetery Guide

Posted: 24 Jan 2007 6:45PM GMT
Is there a Mount Olive (or Oliver or something close to that) Cemetery in NYC?

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 7:28AM GMT
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you...I think you replied to someone else's message rather than mine, and therefore I didn't get a notification.
Yes there is, in Queens, NYC:
Mount Olivet Cemetery and Mausoleum:
Category: Non-Sectarian, Protestant Episcopal
Years of Use: 1850 to date
Location: 65-40 Grand Ave, south side of the avenue between 69th St. and Mount Olivet Crescent, Maspeth, Queens
History: In 1851, Mount Olivet Cemetery ruled that its burial ground was "specifically for the use of the Protestant Episcopal Church, no other funeral service will be allowed within its limits than that of the said church, but this regulation is not to be understood as requiring that the persons buried shall be members of the Episcopal Church or that the burial service shall be performed at their interment."
The Betts Family Burial Ground is within Mount Olivet Cemetery's limits. The New York Times reports that the oldest Japanese-Americal burial vaults are at Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Mailing Address: 65-40 Grand Avenue; Flushing, NY 11378-2423
Phone: 718-326-1777
Records: The cemetery records are housed on site. Written requests for information are preferred.

There are also 2 Mt. Olivet Cemeteries in New Jersey:

Mount Olivet Cemetery
23 Cottage Place
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
201-748-8384

Mount Olivet Catholic Cemetery
220 Mount Olivet Avenue
Newark, NJ 07114
201-621-2220

Hope one of these is what you are looking for. There is no other variation on the name listed in the book.
Lisa

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2013 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
Hi: I am researching a Catherine Mannuccia Hughes who died at Brentwood Mental Hospital in Jan. 2, 1970. Since deaths are not public record in NY, I am not able to find out where she was buried. Possibly in the hospital cemetery. Would you have any info on it?
Many thanks in advance,
Janice

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 7:56AM GMT
Hi Janice,
Nothing shows up in the book. However, in Brentwood on Long Island is Pilgrim Psychiatric Center. I assume this is the place you are looking for? Here is a link to their sit:
http://www.omh.state.ny.us/omhweb/facilities/pgpc/facility.h...
It does say there is a cemetery there...You could try giving them a call.
That's all I can really come up with. Good luck.
Lisa

Posted: 16 Feb 2007 2:47AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Janice,
with regards to contacting Pigram State Physicatric Hospital - I know there is a cemetary there but I am not sure if anyone there can answer your questions regarding it

You can contact them here:
Pilgrim Psychiatric Center
998 Crooked Hill Road
West Brentwood, NY 11717-1087
Phone: (631) 761-3500
Fax: (631) 761-2600
E-Mail: Pilgrim Psychiatric Center

If they can get you any info, I live not too far away and am willing to go take a picture of the grave if you wish.

Terri

Posted: 16 Feb 2007 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Mannuccia, Caples
Thank you, Terri. I will try again to get them to help me. I have already tried but maybe someone different will see my letter.
Thanks.
Janice

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 12:25AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Hughes, Mannuccia, Caples
Dear Terri:
My friend Raymond finally got the burial site of Catherine M. Hughes from Pilgrim. Remember? She died at Pilgrim Hosp. She was buried at the Cemetery of the Resurrection in Pinelawn, NY.(tele: 718-356-7738).

Is that near you? If it is not too far, would you be willing to go there and take a photo of her grave stone? He will pay you to do it.

Let me know if you are able to do it and I'll send you her vital statistics for the grave search. By the way, Pilgrim said for further info. about the burial site, to contact St. Charles Ceme, in Farmingdalle, NY (tele: 516-249-8700).

fondest regards,
Janice P. McLellan

Posted: 24 Apr 2007 12:43PM GMT
If you can get me the information I willtry to get there this weekend. it is only about 30 minutes from me so no big deal to go there if I know where in the cemetary she is buried.

Terri

Posted: 3 May 2007 11:09PM GMT
Hello,

I am looking for the Cemetery in Queens for Bessie Stolzenberg. She passed away January 19, 1989 in Queens, Rego Park. Her service was held at Parkside Chapel, Queens Blvd. Rego Park. I did contact Parkside Chapel but they would not give me any information about where she was buried. An help will be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic