Search for content in message boards

Sarah Elizabeth Hartley (b. 1768), wife of Robert Rowe (b. 1755)

Sarah Elizabeth Hartley (b. 1768), wife of Robert Rowe (b. 1755)

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 12:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Specifically I am seeking info on the parantage of Sarah Elizabeth Hartley (1768-?).

I have seen several trees that give John Hartley and Martha Willis as the parents of Sarah Elizabeth Hartley, but John Hatley died in 1767 and Martha Willis in 1768, and those dates will only work if John Hartley died after Sarah's conception but before her birth and if Martha Willis died shortly after Sarah's birth, leaving Sarah Elizabeth Hartley an orphan from infancy. Can anyone confirm if that was the case?

I have also seen a story attached to her husband Robert Rowe that indicates her father's name was William Hartley. I have have posted that story at the bottom of this post.

Does anyone have info on this?

Story attached to Robert Rowe (1755-1832)

"FIFTH GENERATIONRobert Roe (c1759-1832) and Elizabeth Hartley

Robert Roe was born about 1759 in Beaufort County, North Carolina, the son of Joshua and Sarah Rowe. Robert served in the Beaufort Co. Militia during the Revolution (1781), and on November 25, 1782 he posted a marriage bond with Elizabeth Hartley, possibly the daughter of neighbor William Hartley. Robert and Elizabeth eventually had four children in Beaufort Co., and after Elizabeth's death Robert remarried Sarah _____ sometime before his own death in 1832."

Re: Sarah Elizabeth Hartley (b. 1768), wife of Robert Rowe (b. 1755)

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 12:36AM GMT
OK, I have found the answer to my own question.

Sarah Elizabeth Hartley (1768-?): her parents were William Hartley (1742-1812) and Sarah Unknown (?-1800?)

William Hartley (1742-1812): his parents were John Hartley (1710-1767) and Martha Willis (?-1768).

Those trees which had listed John Hartley and Martha Willis as Sarah Elizabeth Hartley's parents had skiped a generation.

Re: Sarah Elizabeth Hartley (b. 1768), wife of Robert Rowe (b. 1755)

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 2:51AM GMT
Then again -- it's beginning to look like William Hartley (1742-1812) may be an elder brother to Elizabeth Hartley, and that John Hartley and Martha Willis may actually be her parents. Which would mean that she was orphaned at an early age.

It is also looking like the name Sarah Elizabeth Hartley is a composite of the names of Robert Rowe's first and second wives. His first wife being Elizabeth Hartley and his second wife being another Sarah Unknown.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions