Search for content in message boards

Assistance gathering documents to prove lineage

Assistance gathering documents to prove lineage

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 2:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am working on my application to the DAR and need to obtain electronic copies of documents supporting my lineage to my registered Revolutionary War veteran ancestor. I have not been able to access county offices to order these copies. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Assistance gathering documents to prove lineage

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 5:19AM GMT
What kind of documents are you looking for? What state? What is the name and birth date of the ancestor you need documents for?

Posted: 2 Jun 2013 12:49AM GMT
Frequently the county offices will ask you to make a written request and enclosed a fee of $10-20. Frequently the county will describe their procedure on the web site for the County Clerk. Sometimes you have to telephone them to get their procedure.

Frequently after a certain date the county will turn the records over to a state Department of Vital Records.

Your chapter Registrar ought to be helping you to learn where and how to obtain the records.

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 3:44AM GMT
For many of them, you will have to order paper copies and scan them in yourself. There are very few documents directly available as electronic copies.

Some of the pension files are available for download from FOLD3.com but you will need a membership to see them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic