Search for content in message boards

Aaron Preston Rev. War Service?

Aaron Preston Rev. War Service?

Posted: 8 May 2013 11:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Preston
Aaron Preston from Tolland, CT (b 22 Apr 1741, d. 1780 Carolina)married to Mary Prentice has a Revolutionary War Roll record connected to him on Ancestry but I can not find him on the DAR patriot's database and no one ever seems to have claimed him for their DAR membership. The Ancestry record when opened is an extensive microfilm that has to be searched page after slow-loading page for his name and I haven't been able to go through it and actually find him. Was he a patriot? Why did he die in 'Carolina' in 1780? Why has no one ever claimed him as their ancestor for the DAR? Can you tell me anything more about him? I would really appreciate any information about this ancestor.

Re: Aaron Preston Rev. War Service?

Posted: 18 May 2013 10:20PM GMT
The Revolutionary War Roll records do not give specific birth dates or name of spouse. Some do give age at time of enlistment or draft. Extremely rare "size rolls" may give place of residence, or even occupation. If you really want to prove whether you are descended from the person listed in the database, you should go to the trouble to find the actual roster(s) mentioning him. If he was not a deserter and not courtmartialed, he would be a patriot.

You do not say why you believe your person of interest was "from" Tolland, CT, was born 22 Apr 1741, or died in 1780 in Carolina.

If this person is not in the DAR patriot database, it is because no woman applied under his service.

It is possible that the person whose listing you found is not the one with the birthdate you give, or not from Tolland, or did not marry the person you state as wife of an Aaron Preston. Or all of the above.

Since no woman has submitted a successful application as descendant of the person who you say died in 1780, DAR does not have information about death at the time you give.

DAR does not maintain a database on all patriots.

Posted: 27 May 2013 6:34AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. It may be that this ancestor only served in the French & Indian War as he is connected to a record of 'overpaid soldiers' dated 1762. His officer was a Major Durkeys. However Ancestry has linked him to a Revolutionary War roll of microfilm for the Connecticut 4th Regiment commanded by John Durkee (presumably the same man) but I can not find his name on the microfilm and there are over 700 images to scroll through. I will keep searching to see if this man was a patriot. His son of the same name (not my direct ancestor) served in the War of 1812. So wars either side of the Revolution are covered. It would be nice to claim a new patriot and have him recognized if he did serve.

Posted: 30 May 2013 4:50AM GMT
You might try Google to locate another source, such as an electronic book. Or you could locate the book "The record of Connecticut men in the military and naval service during the War of the Revolution, 1775-1783 / edited by Henry P. Johnston" which is a standard reference book in some genealogy libraries. Or you could pay a fee to the DAR library for a search service.

Posted: 30 May 2013 5:07AM GMT
Thank you for that reference. I am going to a genealogy library next month so I will see if they have it. I don't know if the DAR will be of much help since no one has claimed this ancestor before so they have no member record. But I will keep them in mind. My DAR application for another ancestor is in the works so it is probably better to wait until that has been approved.

Posted: 30 May 2013 1:14PM GMT
I also discovered that you can download a PDF or a Kindle or other Ebook reader version of the book. The are also hard to search, but it has an alphabetical index in the last hundred pages or so.

Congratulations on the application in process. You could submit a supplemental on Aaron Preston if you find him in a reference book. He would be a new ancestor, and you would need to submit photocopies of the service evidence from the book.

Posted: 30 May 2013 8:10PM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2013 8:12PM GMT
I had previously mentioned Johnston's book, Connecticut Men in the War of the Revolution. I managed to download a Kindle version of it and went to the index of the book. Unfortunately, there is no Aaron Preston in the Index.

Perhaps the Ancestry Microfilm has been indexed in some other service, such as Fold3. I tried one hint from the AGBI, that Aaron is in Vol 12:173 of the microfilm. Well, the 173 is not a page number where you can readily see the name Aaron Preston. I also do not have the patience to read through it sequentially.

Regarding the death in "Carolina" in 1780. One, if that means Puerto Rico, is that he was a seaman on a ship who died of an illness. His marriage record says he was "of Norwich", and Norwich is close enough to the ocean that he could have worked as a seaman.

The other theory is that Carolina refers to the states of North or South Carolina. If he had been a soldier in the Continental Army under Horatio Gates, there were numerous battles in 1780, where he could have died in battle.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Posted: 30 May 2013 10:09PM GMT
Hi Thank you for your background work on this. I appreciate it. I have looked at fold 3 and there were two documents relating to Aaron Preston. Both were old letters from people asking if he served in the Revolution. As you say it is very difficult to look through online books. And that book of CT Men in the Revolution also includes those who served in the War of 1812, which Aaron Preston's son also named Aaron seems to have done. I am visiting a genealogical library in June so I hope to follow up on this ancestor. I am working on 5 or so supplemental lines which shouldn't be hard to get proof for. This is one of my more difficult ones.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic