Search for content in message boards

Children of Ezekial Baird and Susannah Blodgett Baird

Children of Ezekial Baird and Susannah Blodgett Baird

Posted: 28 Sep 2007 6:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone found documentation that the above Bairds had children other than the three sons mentioned in early history books: Bedent E. (1770-1862), Blodgett (1772-?), and P. William (1784-1837)? Dr Ezekial was born in New Jersey but he and Susanna and the children were in Valle Crucis, N. Carolina, by the 1770's. Censuses from 1790 and 1800 show additional children in the home, but I can find no other record of them.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Children of Ezekial Baird and Susannah Blodgett Baird

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 1:24PM GMT
Annette,

I'm in the middle of trying to research the Baird family descendants as it pertains to the marriage of Bedent and Mary Harman/Harmon Baird.

In doing so, I'm backtracking some to try and sort out the different generations with the same names (Bedent, Zebulon, etc.)

To answer your question, I have not found any other names for Ezekial and Susannah's children, than the 3 you listed.
Bedent and Mary Baird had 10 children listed in the 1820 census, but I have only 7 listed (6 sons and a daughter)

Their son, Blodgett Baird was in Trigg Co., KY in 1850-1870 and there was a Zebulon Baird/Beard living next to him in 1850. I feel that he was another possible son of Bedent and Mary's.

Tom

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 2:50AM GMT
Hi, Cousin, I'm so glad you responded. We are definitely working on the same family.

The names and generations are so confusing because an old Scottish tradition required that people name their sons and daughters after specific relatives. Thus, if a "Bedent" had five sons, each son would be required to name his own son "Bedent". These five next generation first cousins would all be in the same time period and possibly in the same local. It makes research a nightmare!!

Your Bedent had an uncle Bedent. But that uncle had several siblings who also used the name Bedent for their children because it was the maiden name of their mother or grandmother. That original Bedent also had an Uncle Zebulon so the nightmare of re-using names continued.

While your Bedent was born in Valle Crucis, Watauga County, some cousins of his, also named Bedent and Zebulon, moved into the Ashville area and established that town. Bairds from the original line which started 4 generations earlier in New Jersey began to settle all over the newly developing states in the South and the Ohio Valley.

My records also have six sons and a daughter for your Bedent. Possibly some smaller children died, or, more likely, some of the cousins migrating from the North might have lived with the family for a while.

I don't know what you have from earlier generations, but if you are interested, I can share more and send you to some sites that also have much on your line. Are you aware there is a Baird family DNA project which is helping to unwind many of the twisted and erroneously researched Baird lines?

If you'd like to contact me for more info, write to me at dradree@aol.com.

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 2:38AM GMT
My program contains files on two Baird families that were in western North Carolina. One begins with John Baird, b. 1675, Scotland. The other begins with Richard of Merkle Baird b. abt. 1500. My line is through John. A descendent of Richard gave my hometown it's name in Burke County, now Granite Falls, Caldwell County.
I wil share my information to anyone who is interested.
Wayne
bevway@tds.net

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 2:04PM GMT
Blodgett Baird (1812-1891) Was my gggrandfather. He was the son of Bedent and Mary Harmon Baird. Grandson of Dr. Ezekial and Sussnah Blodgett Baird.
Blodgett married Margaret? From this union eight children
were born. My gggrandmother was the 5th child (Eliza Baird) She married William Moore Sept 21, 1872 in Stewart
Co. Tn. William and Eliza Baird Moore had 3 children.
Margaret, Louiseann and Michael Fitzpatrick. Michael was my grandfather. I would like to know what your connection
to the family is.

Thanks,

lbartee@bellsouth.net

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 5:32PM GMT
Thank you very much for the reply. My 4th g-grandfather, Eli Harman was a brother of Mary Harman/Harmon Baird.

I have been researching the descendants of Cutliff and Susan Fouts Harman/Harmon.

I have not had much luck in trying to trace out Blodgett and Margaret children. Any information would would care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: Baird/Beard
Hi Lois, how are you and John doing? How is Aunt Mae? Grandma will be going home soon.

I just posted some new information on Margaret (Martha), Blodgetts' wife in the 1880 census on another thread. Sorry I haven't been in touch, just do not seem to be able to find the time to do anything nowadays.

She is at LaGrange Iron Works in Stewart County along with her sons Elijah and William Buckner Baird. It is listed like this:

Marthy Beard, 58, widowed or divorced, keeps house, born TN, father born NC, mother born TN
Jeff Beard, 19, son, laborer, cannot read/write, born TN, father born KY, mother born NC
Bogue Beard, 16, son, laborer, cannot read/write, born TN, father born KY, mother born NC

on the same page are:

E. Beard, male, 24, laborer, born TN, father and mother born NC
Jennet Beard, wife, born TN, father and mother born NC
Dora Beard, daughter, 4, born TN, father and mother born TN
Mattie Beard, daughter, 2, born TN, father and mother born TN

and:

W. Beard, male, 25, laborer, born TN, father born NC, mother born TN
Mary Beard, wife, 31, born TN, both parents born TN
Maggie Beard, daughter, 3, born TN, both parents born TN
Sallie Beard, daughter, 1, born TN, both parents born TN
J. W. Beard, son, 3/12, born TN in Feb., both parents born TN

Martha (Margaret's) daughter Eliza and her husband William Moore are also in Stewart County at the Rough and Ready Furnace, page 217a

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 2:00PM GMT
Surnames: Baird/Beard
Skipped a generation. There is another Blodgett Baird:

Dr. Ezekiel Baird, son of Andrew Baird and Sarah Ann Layton Locke, was born in 1737 in
Topanemus (now Marlboro, NJ), Monmouth County, New Jersey, died on March 10, 1831 in Valle Crucis,
NC, and was buried in Baird Family Cemetery, Ashe County, North Carolina - [now Watauga County]. The
cause of his death was Pneumonia.
Ezekiel married Susanah Blodgett, daughter of Mr. Blodgett and Unknown, abt. 1768 in New
York. Susanah was born on March 8, 1750/51, died on April 30, 1831 in Valle Crucis, Ashe Co., NC, and
was buried in Baird Family Cemetery, Ashe County, North Carolina - [now Watauga County]. Other
names for Susanah were Sarah Blodgett and Sarah Susan Blodgett. They had five children: William,
Bedent E., Blodgett, P. William, and daughter.
William Baird was born in 1768 in Westchester County, New York.
Bedent E. Baird was born in 1770 in Westchester County, New York and died on March 15, 1862 in
Valle Crucis, Ashe Co., NC.
Bedent married Mary Harmon in 1799. Mary was born in 1773 in North Carolina and died in 1855 in
Valle Crucis, Wautagua, North Carolina.
Blodgett Baird was born in 1775 in Burke County, North Carolina and died in 1831 in Montgomery
County, Tennessee.
Blodgett married Mary Whittington abt. 1791 in North Carolina. Mary was born in 1777 and died
aft. 1820. Another name for Mary was Nancy Whittington. They had eight children: John, Ezekiel,
Zebulon, daughter, Blodgett, daughter, daughter, and daughter.
John Baird was born from 1795 to 1800 and died aft. 1813.
Ezekiel Baird was born from 1802 to 1804 and died on March 11, 1848 in MEXICO - Vera
Cruz. Another name for Ezekiel was Ezekiel Beard.
Ezekiel married Susan Wallace on April 22, 1841 in Trigg County, Kentucky. Susan was born
in 1819 in Stewart County, Tennessee and died in June 1880 in Trigg County, Kentucky.
Another name for Susan was Susannah Beard. They had one daughter: Sarah A..
Zebulon Baird was born on December 22, 1809 in North Carolina and died aft. 1880. Other
names for Zebulon were Zeb Baird and Zus A. Baird.
Zebulon married Sarah A. Willis on July 15, 1838 in Stewart County, Tennessee. Sarah was
born in 1820 in Tennessee and died aft. 1850. Another name for Sarah was Sally Willis. They
had five children: Martha E., Sarah A., Georgia A., William R., and Zebulon.
daughter Baird was born from 1804 to 1810 and died aft. 1820.
Blodgett Baird was born in 1812 in Ashe County, North Carolina - [now Watauga County] and
died in April 1891 in Tennessee. Another name for Blodgett was Blodgett Baird.
Blodgett married Margaret Martha from 1835 to 1841 in probably Tennessee. Margaret was
born in 1822 in Tennessee and died aft. June 7, 1880. Other names for Margaret were Marthy
Beard and Mytha Beard. They had 11 children: Mary J., James K., John R. P., John, S. Eliza,
William Buckner, Elijah F., Thomas J., Jefferson, General Beauregard, and Viola.
daughter Baird was born from 1810 to 1820 and died aft. 1820.
P. William Baird was born from 1784 to 1790, died on May 12, 1837 in Hickman County,

Tennessee, and was buried in Baird Cemetery # 2, Hickman County, Tennessee.
P. married Nancy Pullen abt. 1805 in Ashe County, North Carolina. Nancy was born in 1784 in
Virginia and died on December 15, 1859 in Hickman County, Tennessee.
daughter Baird was born bef. 1790 and died aft. 1790.

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 5:17PM GMT
Robert,
I am so glad to hear from you! Glad Evelyn is doing well.
Mother is great! Had her 97th birthday yesterday. She was
dressed up from head to toe. She looked beautiful! Lots of people came by for a
birthday wish and she loved it.

OK now the Baird stuff:
Does your research and my information agree. Xyla Hatheway a Baird researcher believes Blodgett is grandson of Dr. Ezekiel & Susanah Blodgett Baird. The son of Bedent and Mary Harmon Baird. Is this your information. Someone on the web has Blodgett and Mary
Whittington as Blodgett (1812) parents. I don't think this is correct..
This line if driving me crazy. Sometimes I think I will
abandon the whole family!! Also my records show Blodgett
died in 1891. In this record of 1880 looks like he has
already died. More confusion! Oh well someday we will
untagle this Baird Clan!! I am going to try and email
Xyla and see if she can clear this up.

Take care and give Evelyn my love.
Lois

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 5:46PM GMT
Tom,
So very good to hear from you. I have not researched the
Harmon family. I would love to share information with
you. The Baird Clan will put gray hairs in your head.
They are most confusing and hard to track.
I do have Blodgett and Margarets children they are the
following:
Mary Jane, married James Houston on Dec. 6, 1867 in Stewart
Co. Tn.
James K.
John R., married Maranda Hicks on March 13 1869 in Stewart Co. Tn.
Eliza (my gggrandmother) married William Moore on Sept. 21,
1872 in Stewart Co. Tn.
William B. married Mary Elizabeth Chance
Elisha F. married Jeanette Ward on April 30,1875 in Stewart Co. Tn.
Thomas J, Married Hixie E. Sanders on June 9, 1885 in Houston Co. Tn.
Jefferson
Beauregard
I will be glad to continue to share any or all I have on
this clan. It is so imporant that everything posted be
as correct as research can prove.
Great to meet another family member!
Hope to hear from you soon,
Lois Y. Bartee
Clarksville, Tn.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic