Search for content in message boards

Ole Hermandson Turvold

Ole Hermandson Turvold

Posted: 28 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 28 Aug 2002 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Turvold, Holstad, Hopperstad
Ole H. Turvold came to Worth County, IA in approximately 1870. He married Marta (Maita) Holstad after coming to the United States, but the date of marriage is not known. His father, mother, brother and sisters, who arrived in the US in 1876, probably followed him at his encouragement and advice. His wife, Marta, was born at Vik, a daughter of Bendick Endreson Holstad and Brita Sjursd. Honsi. Ole H. died July 6, 1925, while his wife, Marta, died on May 3, 1922.

OBITUARY OF OLE H. TURVOLD - Northwood Anchor, Northwood, IA

ANOTHER PIONEER GONE.

Ole H. Turvold Summoned After Long Useful Life:

Ole H. Turvold, who came to Worth County in 1864, passed away on July 3, at the home of his son, Ole O. Turvold, southwest of town at the age of eighty-three years.

The funeral services were held on Monday, July 6th at the home, and later at Shell Rock Church, conducted by The Rev. Carl B. Ylvisaker. Burial was held in the Shell Rock Cemetery. This is a complete sketch of the life of this early pioneer.

OLE HERMUNDSON TURVOLD.

Ole Hermundson Turvold was born on August 10, 1842, at Vik, in Sogn, NOR. His parents were Hermund and Synnove Turvold. He was later baptized and confirmed in the parish of Vix (sic). He emigrated from NOR in 1863, and coming first to Winneshiek County and a year later to Worth County. He homesteaded on a tract of land southwest of town which remained his home until death and where he performed his life work. He was one of the sturdy, stout-hearted pioneers, the ranks of which are rapidly thinning.

He was united in marriage to Martha Holstad during the Christmas of 1870. She passed on before him in May of 1922. Seven children were born to them: Henry, who died in January of 1896, Bertha, who passed away shortly before, in October of 1895; Sitona, now Mrs. Carl Vold, of Northwood; Bertin, who also died in 1896; Anna, now Mrs. John Johnson, living west of Northwood, Ole O. Turvold, who farms the home place, and Sina, the late Mrs. Iver Hopperstad, who died in March of 1923, leaving a large flock of children. The deceased is also survived by a half brother, Elling Hermandson, living in Winnebago; a brother, Elling Turvold, living SW of Northwood, a sister, Mrs. Albert Harmon, Northwood, and 25 grandchildren. Another sister, Kari Turvold, passed away several years ago.

During his long residence in this community, he was a member of the Shell Rock Congregation. He had been in failing health the past several years, during which time he rarely left home. His great affliction was blindness, relieved only temporarily by an operation, but he was fortunate enough to have about him those who were willing to be eyes to the blind and feet to the lame. He often spoke of the tender care he enjoyed from day to day. He was very appreciative of the visits of his pastor and eagerly listened tot he reading of Scripture, song and prayer. He asked for the Lord's Supper frequently, and partook the last time in May.

He was in bed only four days, sinking unusually fast. IT seemed to be the heart which gave way, but even though the flesh and hear failed, he appeared confident and hopeful. When asked whether he knew The Way and knew Him so well that he was persuaded He was able to grant that which he had entrusted to Him against that day, he replied without hesitation, 'Yes!" He slept away early Friday morning, July 3rd, lacking a little over a month of the high old age of eighty-three years.

Re: Ole Hermandson Turvold

Posted: 7 Dec 2001 10:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Mar 2002 3:31PM GMT
How exciting! I have recently begun looking for my Holstad and Flugum family roots. I stumbled upon this board. Ole was the half brother of my grandfather's grandfather, Elling Hermanson (Hermundson). My relatives are Nels Edward Flugum (my grandfather) and Knut Jenson Holstad (My grandmother's father). I really am trying to find information on Knut and Marie (Johnson) Holstad (my great grandparents). I only know that Knut was born in Iowa in 1869 and Marie was born in Norway in 1879. Sometime between then and 1897, when my grandma was born, she emigrated to the U.S. Keep up the good work. I hope we both find what we are looking for. P.S. Most of my relatives still live in Northwood, Forest City, or Lake Mills Iowa with a few scattered in Albert Lea and Emmons Minnesota.
Carolyn

Pat Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2001 10:55PM GMT
Carolyn: I've just read your message. I went to grade school near Albert Lea/Twin Lakes with James Flugum, Lyle Flugum and I think Maureen Flugum. Are they relatives of yours?
Pat Johnson

Posted: 8 Dec 2001 8:57AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2002 11:10PM GMT
One of my best friends is a Flugum. She is the daughter of Marvin/Deon Flugum, now from Emmons. I have been doing some research for them on this name, both here and in Norway. Contact me at dioldfather1@charter.net if you would like to exchange info.

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 4:26AM GMT
I am Laurel's cousin. Her dad and my mom are sister and brother. I'm a few years younger than Laurel and grew up in San Francisco so I didn't know her real well, but we have just recently e-mailed each other. I e-mail Aunt Deon and Uncle Marv from time to time.

I've got tons of information on my grandpa Nels Edward Flugum's side. What I need is information on my grandma's side, that's Knut and Marie Johnson Holstad. I'd be glad to share any info I have about the Flugum's. Just let me know who you want. I have from the last generation in Norway down to my four grandchildren on the Flugum side.That's about 6 or 7 generations.

Thanks for writing.

Carolyn

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 9:01AM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2003 12:53PM GMT
The reason I looked up the Flugums was so I could add them to my family tree (through Laurel)-I was married to Dale's brother. I will be doing quite a bit of research in IA next summer and will keep those names in mind as I search. If you need any info from Freeborn County, MN let me know. I will be going to the Museum weekly (if the weather ever gets nasty) and have been walking the cemeteries in there this summer.
Keep in touch
Diane

Posted: 9 Dec 2001 7:48PM GMT
Pat: I have not heard of James, Lyle, or Maureen Flugum. However, I firmly believe that ALL Flugums in Iowa and Minnesota are related!!! My relatives all grew up in Leland, Forest City, Lake Mills and Northwood Iowa. But thanks for asking. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Carolyn

Peter (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2002 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: Hermanson
My grandmother's mother was Anna Regina Hermanson, one of Elling Hermanson's children. I'm in the process right now of going over Ronald Flugum's "Hermanson Family Tree" he did in 1970. Are you familiar with this? I'd be interested in corresponding.

Carolyn (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2002 3:29AM GMT
Ron Flugum, if he is the one in Alaska, is my Mom's cousin. She was born a Flugum. I know he did a Flugum family tree which I saw 30 years ago, but didn't know he did a Hermanson tree. I called him about two weeks ago and left a message for him that I wanted to see what information he had on the family but he hasn't returned my call. Since I don't know his e-mail address, I could only call him.

I'm fairly new to the genealogy fun. I began last year in November. I've gotten lots on the Flugum and a bit on the Hermanson side. (Bertha, Elling's daughter, married my great grandpa Christian Nils Flugum, they had Nels Edward Flugum who along with my grandma Andrina Holstad, had my Mom.) I have a photo of Christian and Bertha and their children, although it has suffered greatly over the years, it is still good of their faces.

I'd like as much information as I can get. I've talked alot with Cynthia Forde. She has Hermanson's in her line, in fact, the message board I originally responded to was hers, about Ole Hermandson Turvold. I can give you her e-mail address if you like also. She could have some information for you on the Hermanson line.

Contact me at sakaremom@netscape.net if you'd like.

Carolyn

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 7:24PM GMT
This doesn't sound the the same Anna Hermundson, daughter of Elling Hermundson that I am lookin for, but thought I'd better check it out. My Elling was born in 1830 on Austreimsli or Ostremsliem farm in Sogn and married Sigri Oldatter Vegin in Norway. Anna was born in 1857. They came to America in 1860 and settled in Arendahl, Fillmore County, MN.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions