Search for content in message boards

Amended 1889 birth record: Jessie Miller, changed to Mamie 1942

Amended 1889 birth record: Jessie Miller, changed to Mamie 1942

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller, Oetzel, Stohlmann
According to Registry of Births, City of St. Louis, Jessie Miller was born 3 June 1889 to William Miller and Maggie Kissel at Female Hospital, birth reported by W. B. Dorsett, M.D.

In all caps above her name, MAMIE is hand printed. There is no mention of changing her surname. In the margin: “By aff 7-20-1942”, “aff” probably meaning affidavit. She was known to her daughter as Mamie Jessie Oetzel.

Family lore says that William Miller died shortly after Jessie/Mamie’s birth. Mamie used the surname Oetzel after her mother married Fred Oetzel in 1894, and states Mamie Oetzel as her name at her marriage to William Stohlmann in 1910 (when the priest at St. Boniface’s rendered her name in Latin, it appears to be Marianne but is not really legible).

Where will I find the 1942 affidavit amending her birth record?

Re: Amended 1889 birth record: Jessie Miller, changed to Mamie 1942

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 2:48PM GMT
That depends on whether the marriage record is from the one recorded in the City of St. Louis Marriage Records or the one in the St Boniface Marriage Register. The St Boniface record would show names of parents of both husband and wife and other details such as witnesses, etc. The city record may or may not be done by the same priest that married them and the church records usually have much better handwriting. The priests only recorded marriages at city hall when they felt they had enough marriages to record that warranted a trip down to city hall and they were quick about these entries with sloppy handwriting so they could get back to more important parish work. Also, since she married at St Boniface, it is very likely that she was baptized there, so it would be more likely a full name would be on her baptism record at St. Boniface. Since St Boniface closed, all of their records were transferred to the Archives at Kenrick, but films of some registers are at the St Louis Lindbergh County Library.

Re: Amended 1889 birth record: Jessie Miller, changed to Mamie 1942

Posted: 2 Mar 2014 9:54PM GMT
I have the civil and church marriage records. The bride is Miss Mamie Oetzel on both of them, no other information given. Recently I found some indication that the family lived in St. Vincent dePaul parish about the time of Mamie's (Jessie's) birth and I'll search that as well as every parish for which records exist in 1889. When I looked for her, just making a stab in the dark about which parish, I was not looking for Jessie Miller, but I was looking for Maggie Kissel as her mother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic