Search for content in message boards

Chavis History

Chavis History

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2000 10:14AM GMT
For much info on the Chavis History try
www.freeafricanamericans.com/Virgins_NC.HTM
(Thename probably came from ship wrecked
portagee sailors off the coast of NC and va.)
Tom

Chavis,origin

Doug Skipper (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2000 12:44PM GMT
Tom,Thanks for the info.Very intresting site.I did have trouble accessing it,it took several tries.Do you think these people refered to as mulotto were indian.I noticed most of the Chavis's were listed as free non-white people,and also as tax payers. Doug

Chavis ancestry

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2000 4:52PM GMT
I am sure that the Chavis's and my
Paternal G'mothers family the Hammonds that went from Va. down to Robeson Co. NC are what we call Lumbee Indians and they range from White to Red to Black, most are tri-racial
Tom

CHAVIS/CHEVIS/CHAVEZs of Louisiana

Marie (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2000 9:10AM GMT
One of my great, reat grandmother's was Lesima (Lezima) "Via MoMo" CHEVIS. She married Rodolphe RICHARD. They were from the St. Landry Parish, LA area. Her parents were Tom and Emma CHEVIS. Allegedly, her ancestors route to louisiana followed France to Haiti to Louisiana. The CHEVIS family was considered a family of means. They had land and liquid assets. Lesima was a free woman of color. Rodolphe was a Caucasian. Any information would be helpful.

Known relatives are scattered through Southwest Louisiana, Southeast Texas, and California.

Please contact me at Elmarcob@cs.com.

lumbee indians

Courtney Chavis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2000 10:41AM GMT
My name is courtney chavis, I am lumbee indian, and looking for any relatives. thanks!

family history

darlene jordan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2000 4:48PM GMT
i am from salem, or. i was born in charlotte,nc. i am also a lumbee indian, and i am trying to find my cousins and a family tree. please respond if you know any of these people:
kenny chavis
cecil chavis jr
phillip chavis.

For Courtney and Darlene

Chad Chavis (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2000 10:54PM GMT
Hi ladies, how are you doing? As you can see, I'm one of us(:-) and like everyone else here, would be happy to help you find your roots. My branch comes from around St Paul, NC and Moss Neck. Both are in Robeson Cnty, NC. My great-great grandfather is the famous Abner Chavis on the Red Man picture. Sitting lower left side. My great grand daddy, Leander, is sitting lower left.( They keep swithing his and Uncle Bill's names and places at the Museum in Pembroke)
Anyway, write back and if I can, we can find a link. Abner's daddy was Jordan Chavis, who I just found out, was a minister of Saddletree Baptist in the 1880-1900 era.
Anyway, welcome to "our" nation's board. Certainly enough of us!

Have a good one!
-Chad Chavis
Lumbee

Add-On

Chad Chavis (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2000 10:58PM GMT
Sorry, messed up on the spelling. Leander is lower right, Abner lower left. Bunyan Upper Left, Bill upper right. Bell center bottom, A Carter and unrelated Chavis between Bunyan and Bill.

Abner Chavis Family

MYRDITH (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2000 6:06PM GMT
TO CHAD CHAVIS CHECKING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT FAMILY TREE, I READ ONE OF YOUR MESSAGES, HEY, WE'RE COUSINS. ABNER CHAVIS IS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER, WILLIAM "BILL" CHAVIS IS MY GRANDFATHER. LEANDER CHAVIS HIS BROTHER AND SO ON. I AM INTERESTED IN THE INFORMATION YOU SHARED ABOUT MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER JORDAON CHAVIS BEING A MINISTER AT SADDLETREE CHAURCH, IS THAT THE ONE LOCATED BETWEEN ST.PAULS ,AND LUMBERTON. AND WHERE DID YOU GET THIS INFORMATION. ALSO, IN OCT.2000 WE HAD OUR FIRST CHAVIS REUNION AT ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH . PLEASE SEND REPLY THANKS YOUR COUSIN. P.S. DID YOU GET TO COME. AND WHO IS YOUR GRANDFATHER AND GREATGRANDFATHER.

Great-Aunt Jennie Turner-Huggins

Posted: 15 Feb 2001 10:23PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2001 2:45AM GMT
I have a Myrdith who married Wayne in my Family Tree Make File. Her mother's name is Daisy who married Samuel Sr. I am using only your first names. I am Elizabeth, daughter of Polly-daughter of Columbus-brother of Boyd and Jennie. If we are Cousins please e-mail me privately at: salsa@gci.net. I will shjare with you and hope you will share infor with me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic