Search for content in message boards

Moses Mayes / Simpson County, KY?

Moses Mayes / Simpson County, KY?

Tina (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2000 3:21PM GMT
I am looking for information on a Moses Mayes married to Levina Stephens. Probably born very early 1800's. I only know of one son John Oliver Mayes, b. 1842, he married Patsy (Martha?) Cox. The area I may be looking in is Simpson County, KY. That's where John Oliver was born but settled in Todd County KY.
If anyone has any information about this family, please email me at: ttrosefl@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance,
Tina

mayes

norma (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2000 12:53PM GMT
My Grandfather was Mose Luther Mayes, lived in Franklin, Ky., Simpson county. First wwife name was Lucy, died quite young(about1915 or 16). Second wife was Mattie. Mose died in the early 60's. He was my dad's father and he had 8 or 9 children. Let me know if this helps any. There is a place called Tyree Chapel somewhere down in that area where quite a few of Mayes' are aburied.

Mayes

Tina (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2000 2:55PM GMT
Hi Norma,
If I'm not mistaken John Oliver Mayes' fathers name was Moses. He would have had a birthdate in the early 1800's. There could be a connection and it could be a name that was passed down to your relative.
OK I just checked my notes and Johns father was Moses Mayes. John was born in 1842 in Simpson County, KY, so I assume that Moses was born around 1810 to 1820. Moses' wifes name was Levina Stephens. That's all I know.
Let me know if those names sound familiar.
Thanks,
Tina

mose mayes

norma (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2000 5:41PM GMT
We called my grandfather PaPa. His first wife's name was Lucy Davis and she supposed died of consumption and left my dad(the oldest child, age 14) and four other children(the youngest was 9 mo. old) PaPa then married a woman named Mattie (Summers) and they had 4 children. I never heard my dad speak of any other by the name of Mose. My grandfather had a brother by the name of Aubry (uncle Aub to me) and he was married to a woman by the name of Hattie May or Mae. They lived on a farm outside of WWoodburn, Ky., which is just north of Franklin. My dad's name was Buddie, sisters' names were Viola, Queen Elizabeth: brothers' name were Franklin, and Harold. The second family had 4 children. They consisted of William Glenn, Mildred, ElzoraKing, and Joe. I heard ny dad talk about PaPa working on a farm over on the western side of Ky., near Reelfoot Lake. My dad always said there were more Mayes' in Simpson Co. then fleas on a dog's back. I knew more Mayes' but could never keep who was who and how they were all related. My cousin Tommy used to run a radio staion in Franklin many years ago but do not know other than that about him In fact, my Dad's first wife was a Mayes and she was from Portland, Tenn. which is only about 10 or so miles from Franklin. Don't even ask me that story. Do any of these names mean any thing to you?

Mayes

tina (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2000 5:06PM GMT
Norma,
None of those names ring a bell. Unfortunitly, the names I gave you previouly are the only names I have. I will keep digging and if you keep digging maybe between the two of us we can make a connection.
Hopefully we'll talk soon.
My email address is ttrosfl@yahoo.com
Tina

moses mayes family

dee walker (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2000 5:11AM GMT
tina, i have infor on your moses and oliver mayes.. will be glad to share..

Moses Mayes

Tina Tieken (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2000 4:35PM GMT
Delene,
I'll take all that you have and I also have a picture of John Oliver Mayes if you would like to see it.
Tina

Oliver Mayes is my ancestor too!

Posted: 16 Jul 2000 6:38PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2002 1:06AM GMT
Tina~
My gma said that her mother-in-law was Cynthia E. Mayes, child of Oliver Mayes and Patsey Cox. Delene Walker has Emailed me about you because we are more closely related. I too have a picture of John and would love to see yours. Please contact me asap!! JO

John Oliver Mayes

Tina Tieken (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2000 5:38PM GMT
Jo - got your email. Your relation was Cynthia Emeline Mayes? I don't have any data on her or her brother William Moses. We can share what we both have and maybe put it all together. I think I have a pic of Monroe (Tip) Mayes as well. I sent you my pic of John O. Mayes in the email. Let me know soon.

Re: Moses Mayes / Simpson County, KY?

Posted: 11 Sep 2001 7:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Sep 2001 7:21PM GMT
Check Sumner Co.TN's website. There is a Moses Mayes, a son of Pleasant Franklin Mayes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic