Search for content in message boards

GRANDFATHERS FAMILY

GRANDFATHERS FAMILY

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilmoth
My grandfather was Odbert Wilmoth, he was born in Belington,Wv in Barbour Co., according to his birth certificate his father was Allen V Wilmoth and his mother was Alice Poling. He was born on 30th day of Jan, 1901. He had a sister, Cressie Grace born in 1903. I assume his parents divorced and his mother remarried in 1910 to Guy Irvine.I would like to know if anyone knows where my grandfathers parents lived after he was born. it seems that he vanished until he married my grandmother Orpha Sue Martin in 1922. Would like to know more about his family.

Re: GRANDFATHERS FAMILY

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: WILMOTH, THOMPSON, POLING, FUNCH
Although I do not have your grandfather, Odbert Wilmoth, in my records, I think his father may be the Allen Van Buren Wilmoth I do have in my files.
Allen Van Buren Wilmoth, Jr. b. 20 Jul 1873, Barbour Co. WV, d. 6 June 1947, Fresno CA. Son of Allen Van Buren Wilmoth, Sr. and Hester Ann Thompson.
I do not have his marriage to Alice Poling, but do show a marriage to Helga Eleanora Funch, b. 23 Jul 1892 d. 3 May, 1970 - both in Fresno CA. [I notice that Allen's mother, Hester, also died in Fresno CA (no date), while his father died in Barbour County WV on 17 Jul 1912]
I show five children from this marriage: Clarence Allen, Lorraine, Floyd Troy, John Howard, and Harry LeRoy (no dates or places of birth).
If you think this is your family, I will be glad to send what records I have of their ancestry and descendants.
Contact me at ginia2@san.rr.com
Virginia

Posted: 25 Mar 2010 12:24AM GMT
There is a marriage license on file at the WV archives and history web site, accordingto this they were married on Sept. 8, 1903. HE WAS 28 AND SHE WAS 18. Her parents were Remus and Laura Ware Poling of Barbour county. She had two children by him, Cressie Grace Wilmoth born, Sept.11,1902 and my grandfather Odbert Wilmoth born, Jan.30,1901. This is documented on the above web site. Don't know if this is the same Allen V Wilmoth or not.

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 11:09PM GMT
Your family must be related to those in my records, but I can't work out the link. It looks like Earl Odbert Wilmoth was missed by the census altogether! I did find a record for him at Ancestry.com in a tree from the Brantley family. No sources, so ??? It confirms your info - that he married Orpha Sue Martin, and lists their children as Chester Earl; Donald; Eugene; Ronald; Garold Odbert b. abt. 1923; Kathleen Marie b. 1928; and Jack Edward, b. 1933. It gives his date of death as 1981 in West Palm Beach, FL.
It seems to have been posted by her family, since it gives her parents and grandparents, but only his parents. The date of his birth would fit with the Allen Van Buren Wilmoth, Jr. in my records, but his wife & mother of their kids. was Helga Eleanora Funch.
The reasons I think the family is related is that Odbert is from the same area in West Virginia, and I also have several other Polings in my records who married into the Wilmoth family: James Franklin Poling m. Mattie Belle Wilmoth in Belington WV in 1895; Laura Augusta Poling m. Howard Johnson Wilmoth in 1906; Leonard Poling m. Iantha Barbara Wilmoth b. 1876, d. 1923; and I have three others who married into other area families, Martin, Mary. Salathiel, and Susannah Poling. That's just too many connections to be a coincidence. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 11:09PM GMT
Your family must be related to those in my records, but I can't work out the link. It looks like Earl Odbert Wilmoth was missed by the census altogether! I did find a record for him at Ancestry.com in a tree from the Brantley family. No sources, so ??? It confirms your info - that he married Orpha Sue Martin, and lists their children as Chester Earl; Donald; Eugene; Ronald; Garold Odbert b. abt. 1923; Kathleen Marie b. 1928; and Jack Edward, b. 1933. It gives his date of death as 1981 in West Palm Beach, FL.
It seems to have been posted by her family, since it gives her parents and grandparents, but only his parents. The date of his birth would fit with the Allen Van Buren Wilmoth, Jr. in my records, but his wife & mother of their kids. was Helga Eleanora Funch.
The reasons I think the family is related is that Odbert is from the same area in West Virginia, and I also have several other Polings in my records who married into the Wilmoth family: James Franklin Poling m. Mattie Belle Wilmoth in Belington WV in 1895; Laura Augusta Poling m. Howard Johnson Wilmoth in 1906; Leonard Poling m. Iantha Barbara Wilmoth b. 1876, d. 1923; and I have three others who married into other area families, Martin, Mary. Salathiel, and Susannah Poling. That's just too many connections to be a coincidence. Sorry I can't be of more help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions