Search for content in message boards

WILLIAM (FOORDE) FORD

WILLIAM (FOORDE) FORD

Charles G. Holland (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2001 6:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Dec 2008 7:53AM GMT
Surnames: FORD FOORDE
We are trying to find out more about our 9th great grandfater, WILLIAM (FOORDE) FORD and family who immigrated to Massachusetts from England on one of the Mayflower ships around 1640. Any good info. about them would be appreciated. Thank you, CGH

Re: WILLIAM (FOORDE) FORD

Posted: 13 Aug 2001 9:44PM GMT
I might have some information on william ford he came over from england on the ship the fortune in 1621.he had brothers and sisters his father supposedly died in engand before the trip . I have more but is too long to list

Posted: 6 Jul 2007 4:54PM GMT
I am trying to find the parents of Francis Ford born 1770 in Bath Co, Va. Would this be any of his relatives?
Thanks,
Alfred Ford
four4fords@aol.com

Posted: 21 Jul 2007 8:09AM GMT
Surnames: FOORD, FORD, EAMES
I am a 12th generation decendent of William Foord & Hanna (Anna) Eames who landed in New Plymouth, Mass, Nov 11, 1621.

I have a copy of our family tree that was put together by Hannibal C. Ford. It has a master chart & 16 detailed charts totaling about 24 feet in legnth, on which are listed names & dates of about 7000 decendants as it's date as of publication in January 1946. This is a result of a search done between 1938 & 1945. I am sure the number will probably double or triple that if someone ever get to working on the dead ends (which there are MANY!). As a matter of fact, although my father is on it, his younger sister born in 1942 is not on it, and of course none of their children (like me), grandkids, and in our case great-grandchilden are on it. My grandchildren are 14th generation to William Foord! Also their were some lines listed in 1946 that were already at 13th generation, so they could be at 15 or 16th.

I work full-time & go to school part-time, but I can try look up info as time permits.

FYI - I have a pedigree chart that has not been verified, but puts Hannah (Anna) Eames back 3 more generarions, sending that line back to 1525!

Posted: 21 Jul 2007 12:47PM GMT
I am related to Abigial Ford who married John Strong (1605). The line goes on down thourgh Clarks, Hunts, Nobles and Grinnells and Stockings. This line is a cousin line to Diana...I just found that out with the new book....there are Strongs in there. I also have a Thomas Ford of Milford, ct...and an Abigial Ford who married into a Richard Warren line...she was from Marshfield, Mass...another name in that line is Snow...
This is fascinating...I would love to look up Thomas Ford of Milford, Ct......and the Marshfield Fords....
Deb

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 10:03AM GMT
I am a 7th great grandson of Martin Mathew Ford of Bradford MA. An original copy of Hannibal C. Ford's Genealogy is at the New England Historic and Genealogical Society. In the beginning of the edition Hannibal mentions that his work is mostly and update of Corydon Ford's Genealogy from the 1800's. There are around 7,000 Fords listed there. They are not all related. The branch of Ford's related to Martin/Mathew are a part of both genealogies but so far there has been no connection found. If I were you I would probably start at yourself and work back to the chart and see what branch of the Fords you end up. I believe there may be as many as 3 or 4 Families that are not related. It was both Corydon and Hannibal's intention to find the connections but so far no success.

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: FOORD, FORD, ALDRICH, BULL, BUELL, DANNELLS
My line goes as follows.

Widdo Foord > William & Hannah (Anna) Foord > William & Sarah Ford > Joseph & Lois Ford > Jesse & Mary Ford > Issac & Martha Ford > Daniel & Mary Ford > Harriet Ford & William Aldrich > Nevata Aldrich & Unknown Wife > L. Ray Aldrich & Teresa L. Dannells > Katherine Marchie Aldrich & Albert Conklin Bull/Buell> My Dad > Me.

As for those families who do not appear to be related, I had my grandfather's BULL line of my family that appeared to be related to the William Bull and Sarah Wells Family of Orange County, New York (See: http://nickell.tierranet.com/bulllore.htm) but I just couldn't find the missing link. It took my late aunt's research plus the publication of the 1880 census online for me to finally find the link (See: www.homestead.com/techmom/Bull2Buell.html). It may wind up being a similar situation that it just takes time to make the connection, or maybe they aren't really related at all. Only time will tell.

Best Wishes,
Shelly

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 3:21PM GMT
Understand how very busy you really are, been there & done that too!
When you get a moment to come up for air. . . .could you PLEASE look & see if any of these FORDS are listed???
ALEXANDER
MOSES
WILLIAM
JOHN
SOLOMON
ALLEN
ABRAHAM

It would mean SO MUCH to me, and thank you bunches for your kind offer, it's so important for many of us out here with brick walls to knock down.

Sincerely
Cheryl in LA.

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 7:04PM GMT
I would appreciate it if you look for a David O. Ford born in Va somewhere around 1801 and married Kathrine Borders from Ky in 1828.
Thank you so much.
Rose

Posted: 28 Jul 2007 10:55AM GMT
I believe there is confusion over the name here. Here is a transcript from Dr. Corydon Ford's Genealogy ca 1800's

Transcription from Book 1 of Dr Corydon Ford’s Genealogy

Page 5
It is a well ascertained fact that the second ship to New England with emigrants was the “Fortune” which reached cape cod. Nov 9 and arrived at Plymouth Nov 11 1621.
She brought 3 persons for the Colony among these are a Widow Foord with two or three children
This ship returned to England after about a month. In a letter sent back in the ship, it is stated that “Goodwife Foord has delivered of a son the night she landed and both are doing well”.
When the division of land was made in 1624. Widow Foord had 4 shares. Showing that her family then consisted of 4 persons. I suppose that son was included. From the subsequent nanny of her children. I think it was John.
In the division of cattle in 1627. Occur the names Peter Brown, Martha Brown, Mary Brown., Martha Foord and John Foord. In 1624 Peter Brown was not married. It is supposed the he married widow (Martha Foord and had one child Mary and of course her other children Martha and John would be in her family. Gov. Bradford say he was twice married (see history)
I have not yet found the positive proof that her other child was “William” but tradition as well as many histories go to show it and the understanding is that the “William Foord” of Marshfield was the widow’s son.
His own statement in 1671 that his age was 67 (when he ??? ???? will at Marshfield) shows him to have been born about 1604 when she drew land for 4 persons = and he man of age in 1627 when the cattle were divided. As his name does not appear in the list of those who shared in the cattle, it has been inferred that when his mother married Peter Brown (as is probable) he left Plymouth, and from the silence of the records concerning him it is conjectured that he may have returned to England and married there. Tho of this I fine no evidence, are subsequently returned to the Colony, for the next find him concerned with a mill in Duxbury about 1640. His son William was born about 1633 as appears from his tombstone in Marshfield. I do not know of any evidence that he ever went to England.
I am not without hope that somewhere among the records will yet be found the proof to establish by the record the fact that his descent from the “Widow “Ffoord” if it were indeed the case, as seems universally admitted by those who know the mast o Genealogy, and the history of those times.
His removal from Duxbury to Marshfield was in consequence of a grant of land to Josiah Winslow and him, for the purpose of erecting a mill which they soon built.
William Ford subsequently purchased Winslow’s share of the mill and it long remained in the family. It is at the head of tide water on North (?) river, not far from the P.O. and the church. Daniel Webster purchase and repaired the mill some years before his death. John ford is authority for this statement.
In July 1860 I again visited Marshfield in company with Hiram D. ford and obtained several additional families and much information.

Peter Brown (of the May Flower) had his first wife two daughters, Mary Priscilla
From Redpaths life of John Brown of Harpers Ferry notoriety, and the other testimony it is probably that John Brown has descended from this Peter Brown by a second marriage after the decease of the first on, plausibly supposed to be the widow Foord
Gov. Bradford says Peter Brown was twice married though he came over unmarried and had two children by each marriage.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions