Search for content in message boards

Holt/Cummins/Cherokee

Holt/Cummins/Cherokee

Posted: 21 Jul 2001 4:28PM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2002 8:05PM GMT

Looking for connections that join Holt and Cummins with Cherokee in Western NC and/or Middle TN.

In particular the John and Isabel Holt line, Williamson Co., TN.

It begins to appear that Isabella in particular, daughter of Samuel Cummins and Dorothy Brittain Holt, had strong
indian indications. Also, other siblings and descendents.

R/ DEC405

Re: Holt/Cummins/Cherokee

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for a Mariah/Maria Holt born Mar. 5, 1835 in Tn. Have no more information than that. It is believed she was an orphaned native american.

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 5:42PM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2002 8:05PM GMT

I have fwded your msg to my HOLT connections. Maria is a good Holt name, but all of that name that I have were born and died in Germany.

Keep looking. There is a Cherokee in the Holt, Cummins and Lowdermilk lines that produced a lot of dark skinned cousins.
Isabella L Cummins that married James Thomas Lowdermilk
about 1860, from her picture, looked Indian. Her daughter, Frances (Frankie) was known as the Native American in Prescott, AR. Frankie was famous for being the local Doc, delivering babies and making her own medicines from local herbs. And, Isabella's mother was Dorothy Brittain Holt, married 4 Sep 1828, Williamson Co., TN to Samuel Lewis Cummins.

R/ DEC405

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 4:56PM GMT
Have you found anything in your research of Thomas Holt married Francis Toombs in 1816 had son Allen Holt 1833 in Somner Co., Tennesse, Allen married Mary Ann Caroline Metcalf(believed to have been of Cherokee descent)abt 1856 and had daughter Alice D. Holt who married Amos Sawyer Wiley. Alice was born abt 1860

Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thank you, Deborah Daustin4075@aol.com

David Cummins (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2002 5:28PM GMT

No joy. I have never searched Thomas Holt. My look is to Dorothy Brittain Holt that married Samuel Cummins. They had children that had the indian look. But, it could have been inserted before them. Sam's grandmother was first married to a Benge that took on a Cherokee wife while married to Liz Lewis and that flipped her family. She then married John Fielder and had an Elizabeth that married David and had Sam.

R/ DEC405

Jan Hoy (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2002 7:58PM GMT
I have Cummins in my line who intermarried with the
Johnson Family in Southeast KY (Whitley Co.)
Is there any connection? I will post descendency chart below.

I also Have Holt's in Hawkins Co., Doswell Holt born 1790
born in Hawkins Co., TN to Drury Holt and Elizabeth Rogers.
Any connection there?
Jan Hoy <jhoy1@ix.netcom.com>

Descendants of George Cummins

1 George Cummins 1742 - 1808
. +Sarah Collins
...... 2 Joseph Cummins 1760 -
...... 2 Hugh Cummins 1761 - 1826
.......... +Nancy Turner
.............. 3 Rachel Cummins 1775 - 1855
.................. +Charles Gatliff 1745 - 1838
.............. 3 Susan Cummins 1778 - 1856
.................. +William Johnson 1775 -
.............. 3 Hugh Cummins 1779 -
.................. +Kezziah Davis
.............. 3 William Cummins 1780 -
.................. +Sarah Meek
.............. 3 Aley Cummins 1785 -
.................. +Nathan Cox
.............. 3 Elizabeth Cummins 1788 - 1849
.................. +Joshua Tye Sr.
.............. 3 James Cummins 1793 - 1867
.................. +Sarah "Sally" Gatliff
.............. 3 Judy Cummins 1807 -
.................. +John Hamblin
.............. 3 John Jr. Cummins 1810 - 1880
...... 2 Thomas Cummins 1763 -
.......... +Silvey Jean
...... 2 George Jr. Cummins 1764 - 1830
.......... +Mary McQuiston
...... 2 Elizabeth Cummins 1765 -
.......... +John Edgar
...... 2 James Cummins 1767 -
.......... +Elizabeth Wright
...... 2 Sarah Cummins 1768 -
.......... +Joseph D. Gallegly
...... 2 Martha Cummins 1770 -
...... 2 Charles Cummins 1771 -
...... 2 Hugh Cummins 1772 -

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 8:59PM GMT
Yep, my line. All from THE Charles Cummins, the immigrant.

What would you like to know? I have the line from THE Charles to me. Plus branches. My line goes THE Charles, Francis, Thomas, Samuel, David, David, Samuel, David, David Ervin, David 2 Ervin, David 3 Ervin David 4 Ervin.

Where does the Ervin come from? I have spent more than a few hours looking for the answer.

R/ DEC405

Posted: 6 Dec 2002 2:20AM GMT
I have a little info that might be helpful. I have histories
from the parents of John and Isabel Holt and they were not Indian. I have knowlege of one son of Dorothy and Samuel. John Holt Cummins b.12-17-1820 would be a brother to Isabella. He had eight children but I only know of the one plus your Isabella. I will quote to you from my grandfather's book Ancestors and Decendants of John and Isabel Holt, "The compiler learned of the old residence of Dorothy Holt Cummins and husband Samuel Cummins by Rev. John Wilkens who found their names in Mr. Franklin Clanahan's book, 'History of Pickens County, Alabama'."

Also, "Samuel Cummins, son of David and Elizabeth Lewis (Fielder) Cummins, was born 7 March 1806. He married Dorothy Holt on 4 Sept. 1828. He died at Reform, Ala., leaving eight children."

That may not help your cherokee connection but it may be interesting or useful anyway

Posted: 6 Dec 2002 3:15PM GMT

I have all the children of Sam and Dorothy and much much more. Back to THE Charles the immigrant and down to ME.

I have a copy of your GF's book.

Send me your e-mail address.

R/ DEC405 Cummins/Sarasota

Ann Collins (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2002 4:37PM GMT
I have found my Mariah Holt. I have gotten the family all the way back to 1601 to Jonas Hold. The line to my Mariah is:
Jonas Hold, Martin Hold, Hans Michael Holt, Michael Holt, Joshua Holt, Sr., Jordan Cain Holt, Sr., Moriah/Mariah Holt who married my g-g-grandfather-Samuel Holt, Jr. I have most of the family and spouses of the Holt family. Mariah's mother was Margaret Wilhoite/Wilhoit/Wilhite who died in July of 1853 and Jordan Cain Holt died in Sept. of 1853. Their son-Jordan Cain Holt, Jr. died at the age of 24. One who was 15 married a Scales, the rest of the children(including my g-g-grandmother was under the guardianship of one Benjamin Mosely. He was also given the guardianship of the Holt property. All the children seemed to be bonded out to work for other families for their room and board. What happened to the Holt property, no one knows. This was in Bedford Co. Tn.
If what you have ties in with this Holt family, then yes, I would like to have your information also. I can send mine to you via email attachment also. Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic