Search for content in message boards

Mercers and Hammonds

Mercers and Hammonds

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 4:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
My husbands Greatgrandfather is George Washington Hammond,born in 1860 to Elias Stradford Hammond,son of Norfleet Hammond.His first marriage was to laura Mercer,daughter of Saul Coleman mercer who was form Robeson North Carolina.They lived in Moultrie Colquit,Ga.He is buried here in Polk Co.,Fla at a cemetary in Eagle Lake,Fl.With him is Martha Pyles and others from Colquit.I am amazed at the history of this family.Sharon

Re: Mercers and Hammonds

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 2:35PM GMT
I too am interested in the Saul Mercer family. Why do you think Saul's middle name was Coleman? I have no record of that. Do you know when and where Laura Mercer Hammond died or where she is buried? She must have died before 1910.

In what cemetery is George W. Hammond buried? Who are the others from Colquitt Co. who are buried with him? Who was his second wife?

Pat

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 5:46PM GMT
My husbands Mother is George Washington Hammonds granddaughter. His first wife was Laura Mercer,daughter of Saul Coleman Mercer,he then married Martha Mckinnie who was Martha Pyles,daughter of Timothy Berry Pyles and Cordelia.George W Hammond left Moultri,Colquit and went to Hickory Sink,Fl.From there they cane to Eagle Lake,Fl.he died here and so did Martha.They are buried here.

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 9:37PM GMT
Sharon, What is the name of the cemetery where George W. Hammond is buried in Eagle Lake, Polk Co., FL? Also, I'd really like to know where you found that Saul Mercer's middle name was Coleman. Do you know when & where George Hammond married Martha McKinnie? Thanks for your help.
Pat

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 3:31AM GMT
They are buried at Church of Christ cem. in Eagle lake.If you go on my tree it's all on there with pics .They were married in Colquit.Saul middle name on 1860 census for Colquit.

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 7:19PM GMT
Thanks so much. I've spent some time on your family tree. You have some info I don't have, and I have some you don't have. I believe you are mistaken on some of the children of Saul Mercer and are missing several. If you want to discuss further, please contact me crabtree at rose dot net.

I do not see the name Coleman as a name for Saul Mercer in the 1860 US census, Colquitt Co., GA. In fact, I have never seen the name Coleman as part of Saul's name on any document created during his lifetime.
Pat

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 8:23PM GMT
I went by info.given me by my mother in laws brother. It is family history of Mercers and Pyles. I think you are correct. I'll change that on my tree. This info.I used when I began the tree. Interesting family isn't it. Are you related to the Mercers? I have some more pics. to load when I get time. I'm working on several trees,so I do a little on each,here and there.Thanks for the information, and I would appreciate any that you have. Sharon

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 4:10AM GMT
george washington hammonds, buried in robeson county,n.c.28360

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 4:10AM GMT
george washington hammonds, buried in robeson county,n.c.28360

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 12:45PM GMT
It's true that a George Washington Hammonds was buried in Robeson Co. NC; he was born 1907 & died 1985. The George Washington Hammond who married Laura Mercer and then Martha Pyles was born 1859 and died 1948 in Polk Co. FL. These two G.W. Hammonds are not the same person, but they were probably related perhaps distantly.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions