Search for content in message boards

History of "Carroll's Arkansas Calvalry" in the Civil War?

History of "Carroll's Arkansas Calvalry" in the Civil War?

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 10:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Skelton
According to his tombstone in Walden Cemetery, Carroll County, AR, John Skelton(1847-1939) was a member of Carroll's Arkansas Calvalry-CSA. I find brief mentions of Carroll's Arkansas Calvalry in books here and there, but I can't find a unit history or a list of soldiers and officers. Did this unit consoldate into another?

According to the Carroll County Historical Quarterly-Spring 1972, John Skelton(1847-1939) was in Co. E, 2nd Reg. Inf. Ark. CSA.

According to the Ancestry.com U.S. Civil War Soldiers 1861-1865 Index, there was only one John Skelton-Arkansas CSA and he was in the Arkansas 2nd Reg. CALVALRY.
CAN ANYONE HELP OR POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

Re: History of "Carroll's Arkansas Calvalry" in the Civil War?

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 3:35AM GMT
Carroll's Arkansas Cavalry was Commanded at the battle of Wilson's Creek by Col. De Rosey Carroll, 1st Arkansas State Cavalry. It was disbanded after the battle, with soldiers going to units on both sides. They reorganized as Carroll's-Thompson's 1st Arkansas Cavalry Which later became Gordon's 4th Arkansas Cavalry.

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Skelton
Thanks for the information.

I got John Skelton's pension papers from the Arkansas History Commission today. He states that he joined Capt. Carroll's Cavalry in the fall of 1864 and was released in the Spring of 1865. Family tradition has it that he was only in one battle and was captured. Any idea what battle that Regiment was in at that time?
Thanks

Posted: 17 Dec 2008 4:12AM GMT
That time line would put him at the battle of Marks Mills, and poison springs. Do you know what his middle name? There is a j.t. skelton in Gordon's 4th arkansas cavalry, I think that he joined earlier than he stated in his pension application.
while tracking down different veterans, their memory was not always that great 40+ years after the civil war.

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 10:39PM GMT
Yes, I think that Gordon's 4th Arkansas Cavalry makes sense. I can't find any record of a middle name. I am trying to find other family members.
Thanks for the help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic