Search for content in message boards

Support for Internet Explorer 9 ?

Support for Internet Explorer 9 ?

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 3:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently updated Internet Explorer from 8 to 9 and now find that 'Place type ahead' aka place autofill in Search no longer works either in 64-bit or 32-bit (though it wasn't that reliable with IE8...). I've had it confirmed from Customer Services UK that this is because Ancestry does not support IE9 (I was referred instead to the very dated 'Recommended browsers' at http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestryuk.cfg/php/en... )
However, I'm surprised not to have come across anyone else on the web reporting similar problems. So am I alone in this? If not, then please can we have support for IE9 asap.

Re: Support for Internet Explorer 9 ?

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 9:11AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 17 Apr 2011 11:48AM GMT

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 11:43AM GMT
No problem for me with image viewer in Ancestry under IE9, but I only use the bogstandard one. Perhaps that's the difference? Not noticed any other problems other than the lack of autofill, but that alone is bad enough.

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 12:47PM GMT
Only issue I have had with IE8 and also IE9, is where my images are saving to...it is probably a Windows 7 Pro 64bit issue...but now that I have found where they are being saved to, I have worked around it.

I did send an email to Tech Support when the message board was unavailable...which they fixed. But in the email I did include my frustration with Ancestry's "attitude" towards IE8 and IE9. I am constantly reading about how one must get used to New Search as "technology" is always improving...and one MUST adapt to the "new" ways...blah, blah, blah...BUT when it comes to a browser, I am suppose to stay in "the stone age" or use Firefox which I do not like.

I noted that out of the 20 some odd genealogy sites I frequent almost daily, Ancestry is the only one where my browser of choice has problems (and Ancestry is the most expensive one to use.)

The email reply from Ancestry said they would pass my comments on ... probably to that round filing cabinet which sits on the floor.

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 5:59PM GMT
Hi Meyrrep,

I am a Search Product Manager here at Ancestry.com. I was not previously aware of issues with the place typeahead in IE9. Your answers to a few questions will help with the information I provide to our QA team:

1) (If you have an online tree) Does the type-ahead show up for people from your tree when you start typing in a first name?

2) Have you done any changes to the default security of your browser (e.g., disabled JavaScript, run in privacy mode, etc.) either through the browser or a security software client?

3) When you click on the Search button in the header does it take you to a page that says "Go to Old search" or "Go to new search" in the upper right?

Regarding supported/unsupported browsers. We do try to address the significant bugs that crop up with updates to the major browsers (IE and Firefox). Firefox seems to change how they handle plugins with every release, so it tends to have a longer time period before its bugs are addressed. I've seen no major issues with IE8 or IE9, so I was surprised when I saw your email.

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 6:22PM GMT
I spoke to one of my peers, and he mentioned that it is believed that this issue was solved last week for those users who were experiencing it. Please let me know if it continues to be an issue for you.

John

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 8:45PM GMT
Hello John. I used to have this problem on the odd occasion with IE8 in 2010, but since I updated to IE9 it's been a problem from the start. I've made no changes to the default settings for the browser. I prefer to use the 32-bit IE9 - though the problem's the same under 64bit IE9. I am, by the way, running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium + Norton Internet Security 2011 with default settings (but i had this configuration under IE8 as well). No other AV etc running.
I don't have an online tree. The point at which I've noticed loss of type ahead is when I'm searching (for example) Census & Electoral Rolls selected from the Search dropdown menu. I don't ever recall experiencing type ahead for names; it's Places where the problem arises and this is critical to efficient searching under New search.
As for where I can see Go to old search, this is visible on the Search page but if i remember right it has a tendency to disappear (I don't think that was peculiar to IE9). If it does disappear the only way i have found to invoke its reappearance is by manually adding /search to the home page URL. But I'd have to check this more thoroughly to be certain it's not just sometimes me looking in the wrong place...
Finally - and sorry to disappoint your peer - the problem with type ahead persists as I write!
Thanks
Meyrrep

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 8:52PM GMT
Thanks, Meyrrep. I've shared this information with our QA folks.

John

Posted: 24 Apr 2011 8:01PM GMT
Hi John. Further on this... Something I read in another post somewhere or other prompted me to try this procedure:
Taking a search of a census as an example, start typing a placename in the location box under the Event heading but instead of completing the placename, click once in the Lived in box. Then return to the location box and continue typing the placename. The type-ahead then seems to kick in. The other way round (ie start typing in the Lived in box, click in the location box, and then continue with the Lived in box) also produces results. Not that I'd be particularly happy going through all that rigmarole for ever and a day, but it might help your tech guys identify the cause of the problem.
Meyrrep

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 10:58PM GMT
Thanks, I'll share this info with them.

One question: Do you know if the page has fully loaded when you see the issue?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions