Search for content in message boards

Craft and Croft families VA and surrounding

Craft and Croft families VA and surrounding

Posted: 24 May 2011 4:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Krafft, Kraft, Craft, Croft Hamilton Virginia
I am sure that all these Craft families are related to the same main family that emigrated to Va before 1800. My ggggrandfather was George W. Krafft later Craft. His sons were Jacob Craft who mirgrated and fianlly ended up in Wasco. Brother Phillip, George W., Daniel, and David B. Croft who used the Croft spelling--(this is my ggrandfather)

Jacob Craft told the story in WascoCo history of not seeing his siblings after the CW began and had no news of how they hhad come out of the war. He said his brother Daniel was a Capt. in the CSA but who was killed in a battle, but I havent found info on this Daniel. However, there are no Daniels that could have been the brother so his death may well be a story story. Jacob's brother David Bernard Croft served in the CSA Co D 11th Va. I dont know of other brothers who served.

My question: Could Philip Craft be the brother of my David B. Croft? The problem is that I dont see a Philip in any of the cousins of my family --and there were many. My David B. Croft family was in Botetourt Co Va when the war started and moved after that to Franklin Co Va then to Big Lick(later Roanoke City)

I have lots of history to share with cousins!

Re: Craft and Croft families VA and surrounding

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 6:53AM GMT
I am not sure if we have a connection or not, but you have a lot of the same names that I do. I have several George, Phillip, David and William Crafts in my family. I have no evidence of the spelling croft, but most of my ancestors were in Virginia, especially Botetourt and Allegheny counties. let me know if you would like to compare notes.

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Croft/Craft, Kraft, Krafft
YES YES YES :) I'd love to compare our families! I am still looking for the sibling groups who were probably cousins of mine ancestors. Anything will help!

Thank you!

My email is ruthschild4@yahoo.com if you'd rather use that, but we should post what we can on the message board for others to connect with us if possible!

Thanks again!

Patricia Croft Robertson
Bedford, Va

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 1:15PM GMT
Pat,
Looking at what you posted in your original message, I can't help but believe we are connected somehow. But some of our facts do differ a little. I am a descendant of Philip N. Craft. (We think the N stands for Nathan but no proof yet.) Philip's father was a David Jonathan S. Craft Sr. and obviously he had a brother named David Jr. Some of the other siblings were:Erastus, Margaret, MaryAnn, George, Elizabeth, Harriet and Catherine. I am still doing research on these names but do any of them sound familiar to you? If so I believe we have something. Quick run down on my immediate line: My mother's maiden name was Craft. Her father was Emmett Andrew Craft born 1915 died 1962. His Father was George Franklin Craft born 1877 died 1929. His father was William Emmett Craft who died in 1906 or 07. and Williams father was Philip which gets us to our possible connection. Let me know if these names seem to work in your tree and I'll post more info as time permits.
Tom

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: Croft/Craft, Kraft, Krafft Hamilton Chafin
I am sure our lines connect somewhere, but dont know where YET. My GGrandfather was David Bernard Croft (1818-1910) he was born in Botetourt Co Va and married Caroline Chafin after the Civil War. David's line is this:

George W. Kraft and unknown spouse who was in Penn but dont know if he ever moved to Virginia.
George's son, Daniel Craft and Mary Hamilton who were married and lived in Botetourt Co. Va.
Records where parents' birthplace asked, David says his father Daniel was born in Prussia (Germany)
but some records say Daniel was born in Pennsylvania.

So I feel fairly certain I can say that David's family was in Pennsylvania before Virginia.

I feel certain now that David had a brother named Phillip--there is a tiny bit on LDS family research where Philip's parents are listed as Daniel Craft and Mary Hamilton.

If you can, search for the history of Wasco, Oregon where one brother Jacob Craft talks about his Virginia family and lists his siblings--but only by initial.

Some names in the family that repeat: Mary Magdeline, and the name Watson was used for two cousins names in early 1900s in Roanoke, Va. Also Jacob, John, Daniel, David were repeated. Because of the frequent names, I believe some sons used their middle name on censuses. There is a son of my David's by the name of Jacob Daniel so he carried the Daniel name on. Some of my Croft/Craft family stayed in Franklin Co Va where David and Caroline lived for many years before returning to Roanoke, (or Big Lick)

My family tree is public so you might find someone there that you recognize.
I will share with you whatever I can and, sooner or later, I know a link is going to be found! thank you!

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 7:13AM GMT
Surnames: Croft/Craft, Kraft, Krafft Hamilton Chafin
One question I have for you: do you know which Croft/Craft came to Virginia? and did your branch come via Pennsylvania? I am sure that our families were part of a clan who came to Va perhaps with some settling in Maryland and some going on toward Ohio in the early times, and some moving on later on. If we can just find the 1st immigrant who came to Va and even Botetourt we may find the person or cluster who was together. Keep in mind that Botetourt covered a very large area at first. Until Roanoke Co was formed, Botetourt covered that area as well...and on one census David and Caroline Croft livedin Big Lick in the the county of Botetourt. I'm eager to find out more! :)

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 2:07PM GMT
Pat,
Interestingly enough, I don't show any of my Crafts in Botetourt County although I'm sure they must have lived there. My maternal grandmother who was a Beard was born in Botetourt county and raised in Buena Vista in Rockbridge county. She married my grandpa Craft. My grandfather was born in Lignite Virginia but was raised in Covington in Alleghany county. The information I have which I am still trying to verify is that my Crafts did come from Pennsylvania through Maryland to Virginia. I have my line back to a Philip Kraft who lived at some point in Pennsylavania and died around 1808. His son, David Jonathan Craft sr. was born in Maryland, Baltimore we think.David's son Philip was born in Harpers Ferry which as we discussed was part of Virginia at the time. His son William was born in Bedford County Virginia but died in West Virginia. William's son George was my great grandfather and he was born in Alleghany County. I am going to take a look at your tree this weekend and hopefully send you some more info on mine or share it with you so you can look at it.
Tom

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: Craft, Camper,Becker,Spencer,Parker,Kraft,Krafft,Persinger,Tucker
Tom, who was David Jonathan Craft,Sr's wife? Was she a Camper? My great great grandfather was Benjamin Richard Craft,Sr, who was born in Md, 1776 (we think), and he had a brother, David Jonathan Craft. Both of them were married to Camper's, but my gg grandmother was Sarah(Sallie) Becker(Spencer/Parker-depending on the source!),Benjamin's 2nd wife. They were located in the Back Creek area of Botetourt Co, then later Craig Co.

According to the research my nephew has done, we believe Benjamin and David's father was a Phillip Kraft (Krafft), who was married to Barbara (mnu), and they are listed in the Frieden's Church Records in Rockingham Co, Va. After Phillip died, Barbara remarried and settled in the Purgatory Creek area.

All research so far indicates that this family is German in origin.

Also, you may be interested in the Persinger Family Journals, which have information about Benjamin and his son, Jacob, who married a Persinger. In addition, there are several pages on Face Book that may be helpful: Craig, Botetourt, and Alleghany Co. genealogy, and the Persinger/Craft/Tucker Family History page. If you are on FB, friend me-I'm listed as Donna L. Craft, and I'm in Clifton Forge,Va.

My nephew and a male cousin have had their DNA done, and now we are looking for a male descendent of David Jonathan in order to confirm that he and Benjamin are indeed brothers. Are you interested in being tested, or are you aware of anyone who is? I am willing to help defray costs involved. Thanks!

Donna Craft

PS: I have you listed as a contributor on my tree: Craft/Leach, so feel free to add any info you'd like to share.

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:01PM GMT
Donna,
Indeed David Sr. was married to Elizabeth Camper. I think we may have talked before. We definitely have a connection.I have Elizabeth's father as a Peter Camper and her mother as Alice James.

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 11:31PM GMT
I am sure that all these people are related! I just havent found the ONE person or record that proves it. I am convinced that the Craft/Croft lines settled all over Penn. Maryland and Virginia in multiple counties. Partly due to county lines being created after our people were in Va. As always, I will post anything I can find to share with everyone else...perhaps we will hit on the link before long.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions