Search for content in message boards

Power-Cole or Colo from Killucan Parish

Power-Cole or Colo from Killucan Parish

Posted: 29 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: POWER, COLE, COLO
3 brothers by the surname of POWER immigrated to America around 1855. They were James born abt 7 April 1829, John born abt. 19 January 1831 and Michael born abt. 21 September 1833. A sister Easter(Henrietta) born abt. 13 April 1845 immigrated later around 1970's to Conneticutt and married a Walsh. 2 sisters Catharine born abt. 17 March 1836 and Mary born abt. 15 March 1839 did not immigrate. Parents are said to be John POWER and Margaret (Marcella-Madge) COLE or COLO. They were to have married 28 April 1828 in Killucan Parish, County Westmeath. I am trying to Confirm this info and find when these 3 brothers actually immigrated and on what ship and to what port and if there are presently any descendants of this family still in Ireland. I do not know if the 2 sisters who remained died and therefore did not immigrate or chose to stay. Also there may have been other brothers or sisters born after the immigration of the older ones. Mike is my husbands gr-grandfather therfore we are very interested in his family. He and his brother James settled in the state of Georgia in Carroll County. We are planning a trip to Ireland and want to come to this area and meet any possible family. Thanks for any and all HELP.

Coles and Powers

Posted: 11 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: POWER-COLE
Do you know if thre would be a way for me to communicate with these Coles? I live in the U.S. but very much want to write or talk with them. Do you happen to know if there are any Powers families left? I now understand that my family was possibly the only Powers in the area in 1800's. Thank you so much for your time and listing this info. Sammye

Cole's

John Leavy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
I know this is a little late but there are Coles still in the Killucan parish in the Thomastown, Derrymore area. Also in this area the is a place called Coles cross. I think its where the Killucan - Kinnygad road crosses the railroad tracks and the Coles house is next to it.

Killucan to USA

Eileen Carey (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CAREY, KEOGHAN, HINCH, HINICH
My great grandparents, WILLIAM CAREY and MARY KEOGHAN married February 1853 in Killucan, Westmeath. WILLIAM CAREY came over to the USA in 1866 via the SS TRIPOLI - a ship you might want to check out.

JAMES CAREY, CATHERINE HINCH (or Hinich??), WILLIAM CAREY b. 1841 or MARY KEOGHAN.
If any of the names above you recognize - please contact me.
Thank You.

Eileen (Carey) Montalbano
ecarey1@frontiernet.net

Re: Coles and Powers

Tamara (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2002 1:13AM GMT
I am looking for info on Pony Lee Powers he was my great great grandfather . thanks

Whitney 1740 will of Colemore, Colebegg, Newtown, Westmeath

Shirley (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2003 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Adair, Cole, Whitney
The will of Thomas WHITNEY, Newpass alias Derrydown, Killucan, co. Westmeath Ireland, 30 April 1740 mentioned his brother BOLEYN WHITNEY, his sister Ann Upton & her husband Ambrose Upton, his brother Shuckburgh Whitney.
Thomas WHITNEY's lands, etc., were "castles, towns and lands of Newpass, Rathowen, COLEMORE, COLEBEGG, Win(d)town, Ballygarron, Ballydorey" and others in Co. Westmeath.

Boleyn WHITNEY was nephew of Mrs. Robert Adair of co. Longford, houses in Dublin City, and of "Hollybrook" co. Wicklow, mentioned in Mrs. Adair's will of 1747.

Sir Robert COLE's will 29 September 1716 mentioned Thomas WHITNEY, esq., and his wife Lady Anne COLE.
Sir Robert COLE's address was given as Ballymackey, co. Tipperary. He had a brother Thomas COLE and nephews Robert Cole, Thomas Cole (2nd son of Thomas) and Michael Cole (3rd son of Thomas).

Any information on Adair & Whitneys appreciated. Thankyou.

Re: Coles and Powers

Posted: 25 Mar 2004 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2005 12:08AM GMT
Surnames: POWERS, CASE, COOPER
Just saw your message. I have a great-great aunt,who was married to an ALBERT COLE, in BARRY COUNTY MICHIGAN. Her maiden name was MINERVA (MINNIE) POWERS. I am searching for her grandparents data: JOHN and EUNICE POWERS. JOHN, EUNICE and other family members buried in BARRY COUNTY. I have info, if any of this helpsyou. MINNIE'S brother, PHINEAS, died in MARION INDIANA 1932.

Whitney c.1740 Derrydooan, Newpass, Rathowen & Windtown

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 7:04AM GMT
re: The will of Thomas WHITNEY, Newpass alias Derrydown (Derrydooan), co. Westmeath Ireland, 30 April 1740
mentioned his brother BOLEYN WHITNEY,
his sister Ann Upton & her husband Ambrose Upton,
his brother Shuckburgh Whitney.
Thomas WHITNEY's lands, etc., were "castles, towns and lands of Newpass, Rathowen, COLEMORE, COLEBEGG, Win(d)town, Ballygarron, Ballydorey" and others in Co. Westmeath.

Boleyn WHITNEY was nephew of Mrs. Robert Adair of co. Longford, houses in Dublin City, and of "Hollybrook" co. Wicklow, mentioned in Mrs. Adair's will of 1747.

Would the tune "Johnny Adair of Derrydown"
be John Adair of Derrydooan (who may also have
had properties in co. Longford just to the east) ?

See attached townland guide for Civil Parish of Rathaspick, co. Westmeath, c.1850
Attachments:

Re: Whitney 1740 will of Colemore, Colebegg, Newtown, Westmeath

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 1:07PM GMT
You can contact the Church of Ireland (Anglican) for information regarding surviving parish records and other records there might be at the Church Archives to provide more detailed information about your ancestors:
http://www.ireland.anglican.org/?do=information&id=36

Whitney c.1740, Newpass & Rathowen, Civil Parish of Rathaspick

Posted: 21 Dec 2007 6:20AM GMT
Surnames: Whitney, Adair, Cole, Upton, Shuckburgh, Cooke
re: The will of Thomas WHITNEY, Newpass alias Derrydown (Derrydooan), co. Westmeath Ireland, 30 April 1740
mentioned his brother BOLEYN WHITNEY,
his sister Ann Upton & her husband Ambrose Upton,
his brother Shuckburgh Whitney.

See townland guide c.1850 attached to the previous message
(click on the guide to enlarge it).

Rathowen was to the east of Derrydooan Upper.

The tune "Johnny Adair of Derrydown"
may have been of John Adair of Derrydooan ?
The "National Inventory of Architectural Heritage"
Home>Surveys>Gardens website have more maps of the townlands for :
Newpass,
Rathowen (Glebe House, Rathaspick)
Rockfield (or Crumlin)
Joanstown (Ardglass House & Fairy Hall)

at http://www.
buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/frontpage.cgi

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions