Search for content in message boards

William Rodman b. 31 Oct 1721: is his father James or Joseph?

William Rodman b. 31 Oct 1721: is his father James or Joseph?

Posted: 23 Apr 2005 1:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rodman, Ferrier
Found a conflict I'm hoping someone can help me with. "My" William (b. 31 Oct 1721 in Ireland or Rhode Island???) Rodman md Martha Ferrier. His son Alexander Rodman is my line. However, in looking online I've found a conflict as to who this William's father is. Some state it is Joseph Rodman (b. 11 April 1685) who married Sarah Lawrence and Helena Willet and others state it is James (b. ~1697). The info I've seen about James shows 3 sons: William, James and David. David is a name not shared in the Joseph-as-father line. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Re: William Rodman b. 31 Oct 1721: is his father James or Joseph?

Posted: 23 May 2005 5:42AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: Rodman, Bartlett
The William born on the date you give is found in the Rodman Genealogy by Jones and is shown credibly as issue of Joseph. He is given as #83 in that work but is not carried out any further. Grenville Mackenzie in his manuscript gives a spouse of Mary Lispenard. I do not have Martha Ferrier in my database - where did you find her?

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: RODMAN, ADAMS, FENIMORE, CLIME, MATLACK OF NJ
From records for West Chester Patriarch's page 206-207 CD from Long Island Genealogy.com states that William Rodman born Oct 31, 1721 son of Joseph Rodman (born 1685) RI married Mary (sometimes Maria) Lispenard daughter of Anthony Lispenard. In Antony Lispenards' Will he mentions a daughter named Mary wife of William Rodman. Mary born July 20, 1727, they had a son named Joseph. Per this CD William was living in 1755 but died before his father made his Will on Dec 12, 1758 proved Sept 1, 1759. Per Joseph Rodman's Will dated Dec 12, 1758 his son William is deceased and he mentions grandson Joseph son of William deceased but not the daughter in law Mary or any other children for William.

If this is true from records then the William Rodman who married Martha Ferrier could not be one in the same. There for all info on William and Martha do not belong to this William Rodman son of Joseph and Sarah (Lawrence) Rodman. Quaker records give a list of all the children of Joseph and Sarah. I find nothing on a marriage in any records I have seen for a William Rodman and Martha Ferrier. I too have all the info on William and Martha with the children stating that he was born on the same date as William of Jospeh and Sarah Lawrence. I find no proof of any of it. I do know that a Martha Rodman after her husbands death married a Fleming per his Will and Martha's both mention the names of the children that online researchers have for William and Martha Rodman.

William Woodridge Rodman of New Haven CT in 1887 wrote Notes on Rodman Genealogy in it he refers to William Rodman being of James Rodman from Coleraine, Ireland. He states that it was this William that married Martha Ferrier. I have disproved some of the works in this 27 page printing from Barbados records. William Woodridge Rodman's theory is that there were two Rodman lines. One from England and one from Ireland and Scotland. I also have copies of very important letters and papers from West Point. Thomas Jackson Rodman who is listed from this line of William and Martha Rodman invented a better cannon and powder used in the Civil War. He died at Rock Island, IL. One of his daughters wrote a letter to a General doing research on Thomas Jackson Rodman for West Point. She says her fathers people were from the New England Rodmans and were Quakers.

This has been a real puzzle for me and a lot of other Rodman researchers and still is after many years of researching. I have so much info on Rodman's from NJ and PA with a missing link. Refering to a David Walker Rodman, his children married in NJ and removed to PA and IN. From online listing this David Rodman was to be from this James Rodman from Coleraine, Ireland also.

Have I got you confused, I'm sorry but it seems we all are.

I think we all need more proof to figure out this puzzle.

Any one who wants info on NJ Rodman's from the Rodman's of Barbados please contact me, would be glad to share.

Cynthia Smoot (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2005 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Rodman, Redman, Crump
Dawn, thanks for your information...I've been working hard on "my" Rodman's and I've made a little headway. I, too, have looked at Long Island Genealogy (online), W.W.Rodman's theory, and the Barbados Rodman book and feel more clear...in a muddy kind of way! I'm coming to the conclusion we may never truly know. Do you have information in detail about William Rodman/Martha Ferrier's children? My direct line is through their son, Alexander. My current mystery is confirming who Alexander's wife is. The only thing I've found so far is an Alexander REDMAN married Sally Crump 20 Sep 1798 in Fairfax Co., VA. The time and place could fit...but I'm searching for more. I also am trying to find the names of all their children....so far I only have 3 of the 9 noted in various census'. Any help you might be able to offer is much appreciated.

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 1:27AM GMT
I have the children of William and Martha Rodman with family for some of them. I do not have anything listed for Alexander, like wife or children. I do have lots of papers sent to me from other researchers. Give me a few days and I'll try to look through some of the papers I have. If I find anything I will let you know.

ESTHER (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2005 2:09AM GMT
Hope this may help. If not maybe it will help another.

Esther

esther (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2005 2:13AM GMT
hopefully it will work this time
Attachments:

Craig M. Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2005 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Rodman, Bartlett, Klein
Yes, thank you it worked fine. Not quite the bunch I wanted to find but still, I added a couple of them to my data base. Hopefully some one can benefit from your find & I will forward this data to interested parties. Thanks again.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 9:05PM GMT
Can you provide the name of Alexander's spouse and children and residence? I have an Alexander who lived in Vermillion IN in the early 1800s.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 2:00PM GMT
My husband had a DNA match with another Rodman who is a direct descendent of Hugh Rodman, b1756 Northumberland County, PA, died 1815 Dubois County, IN. My husband's gggg gf was Thomas Rodman, born Ballymena, County Antrim, Northern Ireland in 1767 died 1852 in Orange County NY. This leads me to believe that William b 1721, Hugh's father, was son of James mentioned in "Notes on ....." Can anyone help?
Sandra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic