Search for content in message boards

Looking for ancestors of William Henry Rowe

Looking for ancestors of William Henry Rowe

Joyce Conklin (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2004 8:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROWE
Wm. Henry Rowe (my ggf) was born 14 Nov 1829 in Plymouth. Emigrated to US in 1850 to go to the gold fields in CA. Married Rhoda Ann Frances McFarland (from Jackson Co. Missouri) 4 May 1851; had 11 children

Re: Looking for ancestors of William Henry Rowe

Jean Tarbell (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2004 12:41AM GMT
I would be very interested in the California connection of your ancestor. Do you have any more names and places in California. James E. Rowe was my husband's gggrandfather who lived in Sutter Creek, CA and Sacramento. He and his wife are buried in Sacramento, CA.

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 6:53AM GMT
Surnames: ROWE
Jean -- Yes, I have information about William Henry Rowe and his descendents. I hope to hear from a lady in San Diego when she gets home from vacation about his(Wm. Henry's) ancestors. She appears to have more information than I've ever had. If you'd like, I can send you a gedcom file of the information I have on Wm. Henry Rowe. Let me know.

Posted: 27 Jun 2004 3:11PM GMT
Yes, that would be great. I hope this will clear up some questions we've had for a long time. Thanks.

Posted: 2 Jul 2004 9:02AM GMT
I live in the UK and am presently researching my ROWE/ROE ancestors. My GG Grandfather George ROWE was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire in 1827, his father was Joseph ROWE. Joseph ROWE was originally from Cornwall, so perhaps there is a Plymouth connection. My G Grandfather was born Henry Edward ROWE, but by the time he married his surname had changed to ROE. William&Henry are common family names in my line. If I can be of any help let me know. I will be off line until July 28th as I am on vacation.

Beverley Rowe-Service (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2004 8:36AM GMT
Surnames: Rowe
My William Henry Sargent was born 25 Nov 1861 in England. I have no information of any brothers or sisters.I have no information of his parents and where he came from. I can assume that he may have gone to Canada first due to his first child being buried in Ontario Canada. And I think his wifes family live in that area. They could have met there. His death certificate lists his father as John Rowe born in England. No mothers name was known according to the provider of the information. Some US census records indicate like the 1900 US census in Findlay, Ohio that he came into the US in 1891 and had lived here for 9 years. He married Eliza anne Sackett br. 8 aug 1867 in New York and I estimate a marriage of 1887 in Ohio perhaps or Canada.I have no date. Not sure as their first son was born in Ohio april 1888 but died a year later and is buried in Kingston, Frontenac County, Oniario. Canada , 2nd child William Henry Rowe Jr. brn 1889 in Ohio die 1891 in Findlay Hancock, Ohio and 3rd son Ernie Russel Rowe born 9 April 1892 in Ohio and died 8 Jan 1927 in Holbrook, Oregon. Ernie is my Father William Raymond Rowes father. I would love to find his family. But it has been a search I couldn't afford years ago, but with all the computer info I am trying again to find out more. I would love anything that you might have if these dates line up with any info you have. william Henry rowe died 22 Nov 1917 in Portland, Oregon. this is where I grew up. As did my father and his sister. My brother Brian Rowe is the last of our line as he had no children. Well have a great vacation. Hope to hear from you when you get back.
Sincerely,
Beverley A. Rowe-Service
I live in Goldendale, Washington USA East of the Cascades

Posted: 3 Jul 2004 6:37PM GMT
Beverly -- Thanks for your details, but it appears that we're from different branches of the Rowe family! My Wm. Henry Rowe came from England to the gold fields of CA in 1849-50, married there, moved to Marysville CA and then to Watsonville, CA, where he died in 1893.

Re: rowe family in England, UK

Posted: 11 Aug 2004 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Rowe, Roe, chic, Chick
we are looking for information on my GGF who's birth name was Walter Rowe, He was adopted at birth to the Chick (chic) family in england in early 1800's. We are unsure if His mother's maiden name was rowe or if rowe was his fathers name, His mother and father had my GGF out of wedlock and this is why the child was adopted. His mother was rumoured to have been a servant (lady in waiting) to the queen. any information would be helpful. My GGF changed his name from chick back to rowe when he came to canada when he was 15, he jumped ship in the port of Saint John New Brunswick. no immigration records exist that we are aware of. Walter had several children, kenneth , William(billy), Camilla all born in New Brunswick in mid 1800's. A family in England (perhaps Bristol) contacted our family by letter several years ago trying to contact the family of walter rowe but my grandfather (kenneth) did not respond. Any information would be greatfull.

Re: rowe family in England, UK

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 4:32AM GMT
Sorry, but my ggrandfather doesn't seem to be related to your line. My Wm. Henry Rowe was from Plymouth, Devon, England; his father was Thomas Rowe, and the family was in the shipping business (don't know exactly which branch of shipping). Wm. Henry came to California in 1850 and went to the gold fields.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic