Search for content in message boards

Are (John Erwin & Mary Hoge) Archibald Irwin's (married to Elizabeth Fletcher) parents?

Are (John Erwin & Mary Hoge) Archibald Irwin's (married to Elizabeth Fletcher) parents?

Posted: 25 May 2009 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Erwin/Irwin/Hoge/Fletcher/Ramsey/Harrison
I am looking for my ggg grandfather Archibald Irwin's parents. Archibald was born abt. 1762-68. He married Elizabeth Fletcher and had 10 children. Family talk from generation to generation suspects Archibald to be related to James Irwin (b. 1685 in Ireland) who married Jean (Jane) McDowell also born abt. 1700 in Ireland.

My great grandfather George Washington Irwin always said that 'his great aunt was President Harrison's grandmother'. While researching the Harrison tree I have discovered that MARY RAMSEY was the grandmother of President Benjamin Harrison. None of the other 3 grandmothers to either President Benjamin or William Henry Harrison could possibly be related to any Irwin/Erwin.

My great grandfather George Washington Irwin's father was Marcus Lafayette (Fayette) Irwin. Marcus Lafayette's father was Archibald Irwin. Therefore, George Washington's great aunt was either a sister, a brother's wife, a half sister, a step sister of Archibald Irwin. Archibald was married to Elizabeth Fletcher. George Washington's great aunt also could have been a sister, etc. to Elizabeth.

Suppose Archibald was a son of John Erwin and Mary Hoge. (John Erwin was the son of James Irwin b. 1685 in Ireland). When John Erwin took Mary O'Caine (MARY RAMSEY's mother) as his second wife, MARY RAMSEY would have become my great grandfather George Washington's great aunt.

In John Erwin's will the only children listed were John Erwin, Robert Erwin and Mary Erwin. However, several people have posted trees on ancestry.com with an unknown Erwin child listed for John Erwin and Mary Hoge in addition to these three.

Does anyone have documentation that (1) there is an unknown child and (2) if yes, is the child a male. If so, I think my ggg grandfather Archibald fits into that spot.

I must add that I know that Mary Ramsey the great aunt listed above is not the same person as the Mary Ramsey the grandmother to President Harrison. They were in fact aunt and niece. But I think that my great grandfather, George Washington Irwin, only knew the name and not the family tree when he said 'my great aunt is President Harrison's grandmother' because no one has been able to make the connection to John Erwin through 4 generations including George Washington Irwin himself. This also would connect Archibald to James Irwin. James would be Archibald Irwin's grandfather.

Please someone help me find this missing link!

Re: Are (John Erwin & Mary Hoge) Archibald Irwin's (married to Elizabeth Fletcher) parents?

Posted: 26 May 2009 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: Lefever, Irwin, Parrott
My ggg-grandmother was Martha Sarah "Sallie" Lefever who married John Irwin. I have a paper the was compiled by one of her great nephews 3 Jan 1912. It states on it that one of Sallie's sisters(Catharine Lefever) married a William McConnell and they moved to North Bend below Cincinnati and settled on a farm near the home of William Henry Harrison, who became out 9th President in 1840. This may have something to do with the story that your great grandfather stated that a great aunt was President Harrison's grandmotehr. The great nephew that compiled this was John S. Parrott. It was mostley just names and not many dates.

Take Care
Wanda

Re: Are (John Erwin & Mary Hoge) Archibald Irwin's (married to Elizabeth Fletcher) parents?

Posted: 26 May 2009 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Irwin Harrison Churchhill Bassett Carter Ramsey Symmes
President William Henry Harrison's maternal grandmother was Elizabeth (Churchhill) Bassett and his paternal grandmother was Anne (Carter) Harrison.

President Benjamin Harrison's maternal grandmother was Mary (Ramsey) Irwin and his paternal grandmother was Anna Tuthill (Symmes) Harrison.

At this point in time I don't see where a Catharine (Lefever) McConnell fits into this. However, I must leave no stone unturned.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me. I believe this process will be the only way I will find my link to Archibald's father.

zurwin

Posted: 26 May 2009 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Irwin Harrison Churchhill Bassett Carter Ramsey Symmes Lefever McConnell
President William Henry Harrison's maternal grandmother was Elizabeth (Churchhill) Bassett and his paternal grandmother was Anne (Carter) Harrison.

President Benjamin Harrison's maternal grandmother was Mary (Ramsey) Irwin and his paternal grandmother was Anna Tuthill (Symmes) Harrison.

At this point in time I don't see where a Catharine (Lefever) McConnell fits into this. However, I must leave no stone unturned.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me. I believe this process will be the only way I will find my link to Archibald's father.

Anne Irwin

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 11:24AM GMT
please go to google.com put in archibald and elizabeth fletcher irwin submitted by tammy irwin. Read the whole history. contact me directly at irwin5plusone@aol.com

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 11:27AM GMT
hi please go to google.com put in search engine
archibald and elizabeth fletcher irwin submitted by tammy irwin contact me at irwin5plusone@aol.com

Posted: 23 Feb 2012 9:05PM GMT
Please go to google.com put in search engine.
Archibald and Elizabeth Fletcher Irwin submitted by Tammy Irwin you will find alot of information if you need to get in touch with me after that please use the email irwin5plusone@aol.com to get in touch with me . Thank You and good luck.

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 1:23AM GMT
Hello, please go to google.com and put in search engine,
Archibald and Elizabeth Fetcher IRwin submission by Tammy Irwin when you finish reading let me know what you think I feel you will like what you see.

Welcome to the line
Tammy Irwin.

I am from the Archibald and Elizabeth Fletcher Irwin line.
I married an Irwin no relation

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 10:01PM GMT
Hi Tammy,
We have talked before but it has been a while like 2 or 3 years. I have been spending all of my time searching for Archibald's family and ancestors.

I have found his brother and sister. I am in correspondence with my 5th cousin who descends from Arthur (Archibald's older brother b.1766) and my 5th cousin once removed who descends from Mary (Archibald's younger sister b. 1770).

I also know that Archibald's father is William Erwin most likely born in Northern Ireland. He settled as a young man in Cumberland Twp, York Co, PA in the 1740's or possibly earlier. There is a court document to verify that his land was improved as early as 1741.

William was jurer of York Co Grand Jury in 1751.

In 1762 William Erwin was taxed. This was the earliest known tax assessment list for Cumberland Twp, York Co, PA. He had a brother James Erwin, also a John Ervin and William Ervin were also living on William's property and taxed. In 1768 the next known tax assessment, only William and James were taxed. John and the other William had left the area.

Sometime around 1767, James bought property adjoining to William's land from a David Greer. James received a Patent Deed in 1767 for his land and continued to pay taxes until 1782 when he and his wife Mary sold his land to Peter Piper.

In July 1770, William was a viewer for the Quarter Sessions of the York Court for a road from Shippensburg to the Widow Black's. The Widow Black's property was next to William's. This road is basically the old US 30.

William paid taxes until his death in 1774. His widow Rachel Morrison Erwin continued to pay taxes until 1782. Her family lived in the same township as William. Her father was Archibald Morrison. Archibald Irwin most likely was named for him.

The estate of William was put in trust for his children when his wife remarried a Mr. McCoy. The three under aged children were given guardians, Mr. Spears and Joseph Morrison, Jr (Rachel's cousin) according to Orphan's Court documents. Joseph was put in charge of the trust. In charge of the trust for the children, he applied for the Warrant, got the survey and received a Patent Deed for William's land the year before the children were able to sell the land. In July, 1789 when Archibald turned 21 the land was sold.

Archibald also married Elizabeth Fletcher in January, 1789. Elizabeth also had grown up in Cumberland Twp, York Co, PA. Her father Charles Fletcher and mother Esther purchased land in that county around 1767. Elizabeth and Arthur were at the selling of the land to Peter Piper who had purchased James land back in 1782.

In November, 1789 Archibald and Elizabeth purchased land in Allegheny Co (which is now Washington Co) southwest of Pittsburgh along Chartiers Creek. In January, 1790 William (their first child) was born.

The year of 1789 must have been the year that all three of William's children moved on with their lives. Mary married John Stewart in Ohio Co, VA in 1790. This is where Wheeling, WV is now. She would have been 20.

Arthur lived in Ohio County VA (now West VA) between 1789 and 1800. Arthur married Ann Morrison (his 2nd cousin and the daughter of Joseph Morrison, Jr who was Arthur's guardian). After Arthur and Ann were married they moved across the river to Belmont Co, OH.

I have put together a scenario based on my family tradition and talking to each of my cousins for each of William and Rachel Erwin's children. I have speculated who raised them and how they met their spouses and ended up living where they did in the 1790's. I can't prove all of it with documents. But it makes for interesting reading if you are interested.

Now I am spending all of my time looking for William's father. Some of the candidates are: William and Ellendor Erwin who lived in Pennsboro Twp, Lancaster Co, PA; the father (Joseph Erwin who lived in Ireland) of William Erwin b.1717 who lived in Burk Co, PA and was brother to Col. Arthur Erwin; and most recently I am interested in James Erwin who had a wife Mary Irvine and he died 1743 in Augusta Co, VA.

All of these men have children William, James, and John who would have been about the age that my William Erwin would have been. I am using the Clan Irwin DNA study to help guide me. I do know that I am finding matches to all of these men that I have listed. I just need to find a paper trail that fits.

Hope you have enjoyed my search and studies of the past 3 years. I am determined to crack this nut! I feel Archibald has been out there all of these years and no one seems to know who he is. Now we know his father and mother. This is a start.

Your cousin,

Anne Irwin
zurwin@macatawa.com

Posted: 2 May 2012 2:13AM GMT
Dear Anne,
This is so wonderful, I do remember talking to you before,
I have been out of my research for sometime now. Alot going on my husband got sick, and my daughter had some problems, so I work full time with little time left for research, but I enjoyed so much reading please send me and when you are ready I can send the information to wingrove and he can add your page that is how he does it. He gives everyone a page.
Nice hearing from you Cousin
Tammy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions