Search for content in message boards

Walker, Thompson, Miller,

Walker, Thompson, Miller,

Danny Walker (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2003 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walker, Miller, Thompson, Wooten, Simmons
These families were around Waterford and Holly Springs. All may have come from other areas ( I know the Walkers came from SC). Some of the names associated with this group is Rice Walker, Ben Walker, Henry, Amanda Plaxico, Tartha Thompson, Sam Thompson, Tempie Thompson, Phil Miller, Louisa Miller, Belle (wooten) Simmons, Columbus Simmons. Anyone tracing these roots feel free to contact me.

Re: Walker, Thompson, Miller,

Posted: 28 Sep 2003 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Gabel, Lane, Thompson, and Wilson
I have a John Thompson, born March 3, 1885 or 1889 in Mississippi. It is said, he was born in Lafayette County. He served in WWII. After his tour of duty, he returned to Mississippi and married a lady named Della. Her maiden name is unknown. The family has lived in Holly Springs. They had two children. John died about 1989 and Della died about 1975 in Holly Springs, Mississippi.

You can email me at lwjstew@aol.com.

Posted: 28 Sep 2003 8:20PM GMT
Sam Thompson, my great-grand, I am sure came from Alabama and settled in Mississippi. He seems to be a mystery and to not have had any brothers and sisters that we know of. If he did, nobody has ever mentioned them. His wife was named Tempie. I think he may have come to that area around 1885.

Fred Potts (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2003 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Potts
I have a Samuel Thompson, 1886-1967, married my great aunt, Elizabeth E. (Lizzie) Potts, 1889-1969. Ring any bells?

Samuel Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2003 9:15PM GMT
Not quite. Samuel Thompson I descend from, I think, died sometime in 40's. He was born in 1860 somewhere in Alabama and migrated to Marshall County. He had sons Eli, Tartha and James (Jim).

Plaxico Finder (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2003 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: Plaxico/Plaxco/Plexico/Plexco
Amanda Plaxico as in the one who married Gamiwell Plaxico from Union Co., SC? I believe they migrated along with some Littlejohn's around 1873. Here are some data that may help you:

Amanda Plaxico - born: c1862, SC
Gamiwell (Game) Plaxico - born: c1859, SC

I wonder what made them decide to move to MS?

Posted: 26 Oct 2003 3:44PM GMT
Yeah! That is the Amanda I am talking about. She is the older sister of my great-grandfather Isaac Walker. I too have been very curious as to why they came all the way from South Carolina to Mississippi. What is your relationship with the Plaxicos?

Posted: 26 Dec 2003 9:20AM GMT
The Isaac Walker listed in the Gowdysville, Union County, SC 1870's census?...
Isaac Walker 28
Minsy 24
Amanda 9
Sisly 7
Henry 5
Harriet 3

I knew it!

Oh, by the way, Amanda married Gamiwell in Jan of 1880. But I also read somewhere that Gamiwell remarried in 1885 to Hester Hamilton. There is also a Amanda Walker who married in 1884 to a fella named Hiram Goolsby. I wonder did they break up. I don't think they produced any Plaxico children together.

Plaxico's have a tendancy to disappear. (Especially after one of them rumored to have killed a white man.) I can't seem to locate most of them in the 1920's and 1930's censuses.

Do you know anything else about the Plaxico's of Marshall Co., MS? I still trying to connect Natt with Gamiwell, who may be a child from Natt's first marriage..

I'm still digging.

Posted: 29 Dec 2003 8:17PM GMT
Plaxico Finder,

Thanks for keeping me informed on the Walkers. That is very interesting about amanda and I am going to look into it. She is dear to my heart because she allowed me to connect the Walkers in Union County with the ones that later moved to Marshall County, MS. Are you a descendent of the Plaxicos?

Posted: 6 Jan 2004 5:31AM GMT
How wonderful! I'm glad you've made a connection.

Remember when I asked what made them decide to move away from SC? It was a hunch that something went wrong since so many families left SC and ended living in the same area. The KKK took over SC after the Civil War. 500 of them in masked rode at night to the Union County court house and murdered 10 people in jail. In York County the klan had beaten a crippled black baptist minister so badly, til the minister led an exodus of 165 blacks to Liberia! When you get a chance, look up Elias Hill. He wrote in his own word, "They Beat Me with Their Fists." All of this occurred around 1870, about the time when Plaxico's fled to Mississippi.

Here are some links you can visit:

"Southerners had to deal with new-found freedom of blacks"
http://www.heraldonline.com/community/back/story/964567p-101...

Elias Hill
http://www.vgskole.net/prosjekt/slavrute/44.htm

Very interesting history, isn't it. Lest we forget.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions