Search for content in message boards

Robert Porter m.Elizabeth Allen, 1836, Coles County, IL

Robert Porter m.Elizabeth Allen, 1836, Coles County, IL

Rob Porter (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2001 10:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Allen, Giger, Edwards, Anderson, Isaac
I am trying to find information regarding my ancestors. So far, my earliest known ancestor is Robert Porter.

Robert Porter married Elizabeth Allen on June 21, 1836 in Coles County, IL.

The couple had four children: Josephus (b. May 21, 1837; married Melissa Giger; served in the Civil War in the 117 Reg't Illinois Infantry); Susan (b. 1839; married Wesley Edwards); Sarah (b. 1842; married James Anderson); and Robert M. (b. April 14, 1845-d. April 11, 1915; married Mary Issac on March 10, 1870 in Madison Co. IL.)

If anyone has any greater detail about any of these individuals or their ancestors (or can link their family to mine), I'd love to hear it.

Thank you very much!

Rob

Re: Robert Porter m.Elizabeth Allen, 1836, Coles County, IL

Tammy (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2001 9:19AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
I need to find this Porter family

ISO; Clarence & Margaret Porter, 6 birth siblings

Posted: 5 Aug 2001 6:34PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: Giger, Porter
Rob,

Melissa Ann (Giger) Porter was a member of my family

You provided me with a lovely morning tracking down Josephus Porter and his family.

They had two children, one of whom survived. The entire family, including Melissa, is buried in Augusta Cemetery, St. Jacob Township, Madison County, Illinois.

Josephus Porter applied for an invalid's Civil War pension on November 7, 1882.
Melissa Porter applied for a widow's pension March 21, 1921.

The most interesting thing I found is that Melissa Ann (Giger) Porter died in Alameda County, California at age 89 in 1947. I wonder who sent her body back to Illinois for burial since both her husband and son died before she did?

I do not know if John William Porter married, but he is listed on the gravestone with his parents.

In a nutshell, the family looks like this:

Descendants of Josephus Porter

1 Josephus Porter b: May 21, 1837 in Illinois d: 1921 in Augusta Cemetery, St. Jacob Township, Madison County, Illinois
. +Melissa Ann Giger b: November 02, 1857 in Marinetown, Madison County, Illinois m: January 06, 1876 in Madison County, Illinois d: May 23, 1947 in Alameda County, California
.... 2 John William Porter b: February 28, 1878 in Madison County, Illinois d: 1945 in Augusta Cemetery, St. Jacob Township, Madison County, Illinois
.... 2 ? Porter b: Unknown d: Unknown in Augusta Cemetery, St. Jacob Township, Madison County, Illinois

Maggie Kyger Miller

Rob (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2001 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Giger
That information was wonderful. If you have any other information on the Gigers that you'd like to share, I'd love to see it.

Thanks again!

Posted: 8 Aug 2001 5:10PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Giger, Porter
Rob,

My file is posted at Rootsweb's World Connect. I update every several months. You can access my file directly by going "through the back door".

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?d...

I don't post my notes, but am always happy to share them.

Maggie Kyger Miller
(loganholmes@aol.com)

Maggie Kyger Miller (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2003 7:59PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 6:16PM GMT
Rob,

I found Josephus Porter's obituary. Contact me if you are interested.

Maggie

Posted: 10 Apr 2005 6:41PM GMT
Wondering if your Robert was the s/o Robert Porter and Elizabeth Yardley. If so, please contact me (& hoping your email address is current).

Thank you,
Debra

Posted: 11 Apr 2005 9:33AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2005 3:21PM GMT
Sorry, I don't believe this to be in the Porter Line I am researching. My Porter line is from Hopkins County Kentucky, however there is a possiblity there are links to Illinois. I haven't been able to verify this link. I will let you know if I do. Thanks.

J Ingersoll

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2005 4:09PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2005 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Allen, Yardley
Hello.

I am referring to the Robert Porter who married Elizabeth Allen...the 'two' mentioned in the 'original' query.
Subsequent to my recent post to this thread, I found out that this Robert who married Elizabeth Allen in Coles CO KY was indeed the descendant of Robert Porter and Elizabeth Yardley.

Debra

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 12:03AM GMT
Hi My grandmother is Hattie Porter from Madison County, Il.She is the daughter of Robert Porter son of Robert MC Porter and Eilabeth Allen from Coles County. Do you have more imformation on Robert MC Porters parents I believe you said they were Robert Porter and mother maiden name was Yardley.I would love to share information with you Hattie's daughter Ella is in her 90's and loves to share imformation on her family. Robert MC Porter died here in Madison County Illinois and his wife remarried to a Phlip Gatch in 1849. please let me know how you are related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic