Search for content in message boards

Directory look up Canterbury

Directory look up Canterbury

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone do a street directory look up for me please, I am trying to establish when sisters Elizabeth and Clara Osborne first set up shop at 8 Alexandra Terrace, Station Road, Canterbury.
They were not there in 1891 but were there by 1901 so I am looking for a date within those ten years.

Thanks for any help. John

Re: Directory look up Canterbury

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 6:46PM GMT
Hi John
I went to my library at Herne Bay and found Elizabeth and Clara weren't there in 1893.My library doesn't have the other directories,they are at Canterbury.I shall be going to Canterbury next week so I'll see if I fill in the gaps.They were still there in 1915 -1916 .Hope this has been of help.
Anne

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 9:07PM GMT
Hello Anne,
Yes, thanks, very much even the dates they were not there helps to narrow their actual period of occupation down.
I shall look forward to what you can find next week.

Thanks again, John

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 5:52PM GMT
Hi John As promised went to Canterbury.It seems they did not move in until 1901,up till then it was a male occupier.In 1928 the occupier was noted as Miss C Osbourne and in 1929 the address was No 12.Hope this is of help.
Anne

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 8:50PM GMT
Hello Anne,
Thanks very much for your help, I really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to do this look up for me.
If the Osborne sisters appear in the 1901 street directory I assume that means they must have moved in in 1900 because these directories were usually compiled the year before they were published.
Elizabeth had died in 1925 so it is nice to find that Clara was still there in 1928.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards, John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic